Monitor Arduino on outside network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Arduino on outside network?

I know I mentioned this before, but is there any way, or convoluted way, to be able to monitor inputs and outputs on an Arduino on a separate network? Similar to what can be done with a Z-net on another network still reporting to HS. I have a DSC alarm panel I want to remove and tie the sensors to an Arduino to monitor and report to HS if possible. Any ideas?

I may be missing your point but I have quite a few nodeMCUs that connect to HS3 and I see them via a HSTouch app on phones and tablets. I can use the app remotely.

Maybe you can explain your use case further.

Comment

Ah.. maybe I am remembering....

Is this the use case where you want some arduinos in another location that you monitor? Like a friend/relatives house?

Comment

I'm going to run with the second option. Remote arduinos that you want HS3 to be able to read and control as though they were local.

Both locations are very likely subject to ISP changes of IP addresses. That says that DDNS support is a requirement. Now, can an arduino use a domain name to create a socket. Likely not a problem. I don't do it but it should be very common. Then, can the arduino plugin deal with domain names rather than numeric IP addresses. No clue on that. Greig would know. But it seems to me if you could get both ends using DDNS rather than static IPs, it would be doable. Might have some latency issues to deal with but surely could be overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          I'm going to run with the second option. Remote arduinos that you want HS3 to be able to read and control as though they were local.

Both locations are very likely subject to ISP changes of IP addresses. That says that DDNS support is a requirement. Now, can an arduino use a domain name to create a socket. Likely not a problem. I don't do it but it should be very common. Then, can the arduino plugin deal with domain names rather than numeric IP addresses. No clue on that. Greig would know. But it seems to me if you could get both ends using DDNS rather than static IPs, it would be doable. Might have some latency issues to deal with but surely could be overcome.
          Yes sorry for the delay...been busy sanding the ole log house. Haha.

Yes the second option. Having an arduino at a remote site that can send data back to the HS server to update devices or the other way around, to control devices. This can be done with Z-NET, I would assume the same train of thought would be used with an Arduino.

https://nobugsjustfeatures.wordpress.com/tag/nodemcu/

There are library features that work with DDNS, it's just getting it to interface with the HS Arudino plugin. This plug-in is awesome for devices on the same network, but wow it would be insane if you could link it to devices outside of the home network. Even if there is a minor lag...

Comment

Why not set up a VPN then the arduino and plugin don't need to change.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
            Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
            X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
            Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
            Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
            Scripts =
            Various

Comment

I'll look into this further. I have never worked with a VPN, so I'll take some time to learn and figure it out.

Comment

The easiest way to do this is using routers at both ends that support VPN. You set up one as a server and one as a client. When the client boots it connects to the server and both routers (houses) can see each others' networks. You can have the Arduino plugin on one end connect to an Arduino device at the other end. The primary obstacle is that most residential internet services do not provide static IP addresses. Your outside IP address could change everytime your router reboots, like with DSL, or it could change at the whim of the provider. Some routers can be configured to phone home into a dynamic DNS service like dyndns or no-ip. If you set this up you will be given a host name for your router which you can use to connect to it. So the remote vpn client will know the name of the vpn server. The address of the name will be updated automatically by the dynamic DNS service.

I have a Mega and a NodeMCU at a remote location connected to Homeseer over vpn. They display various statuses in homeseer over the internet. I can close a switch on the Mega. Homeseer sees the remote switch and changes to a different set of data to display.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Archcantor View Post
                  The easiest way to do this is using routers at both ends that support VPN. You set up one as a server and one as a client. When the client boots it connects to the server and both routers (houses) can see each others' networks. You can have the Arduino plugin on one end connect to an Arduino device at the other end. The primary obstacle is that most residential internet services do not provide static IP addresses. Your outside IP address could change everytime your router reboots, like with DSL, or it could change at the whim of the provider. Some routers can be configured to phone home into a dynamic DNS service like dyndns or no-ip. If you set this up you will be given a host name for your router which you can use to connect to it. So the remote vpn client will know the name of the vpn server. The address of the name will be updated automatically by the dynamic DNS service.

I have a Mega and a NodeMCU at a remote location connected to Homeseer over vpn. They display various statuses in homeseer over the internet. I can close a switch on the Mega. Homeseer sees the remote switch and changes to a different set of data to display.
                  Ah yes I am currently using DDWRT with DDNS to allow access to my HS server to the outside world. However I am sure I could set up another router with DDWRT to do link the two via VPN. One of the sites I'd like to monitor I don't have access to the router so might not be able to set it up there. I'll give this a try though.

Comment

Working...
                  X