extend w800 range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extend w800 range?

i have the antenna on my second floor. and the signal works better down, ie on the first floor, than across on rooms in the second floor. anything i can do?
    do people ever use two units? if i mount in attic do i lose the first floor range?
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

I have two antennas and two W800's configured today.

One is in the attic inverted and the other one is the stock W800 antenna on the main floor.

I probably would be OK with the one in the attic only.
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have mine in the attic, ever since it lives there I get the best reception. Mine is also inverted.
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I have one in the attic, that covers the whole two story house just fine. It is mounted normally; no inversion here.

Comment

Is there a cat 5 to coax solution. I have cat 5 in attic but no coax. A balun?
          HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
            Is there a cat 5 to coax solution. I have cat 5 in attic but no coax. A balun?
            In that case you might conisder moving your W800 and antenna to the attic. Wire up simple DB9 to RJ-45 adapters (male for one end and female for the other) and include DC power in the cable. If I remember correctly, the W800 uses only Tx, Rx and Gnd (3 wires) so the others can be used for power. Remember to keep this cable run completely separated from any other cables (data or power) to avoid interference. Also, RS-232 is really only reliable out to about 50 feet of cable, so if your run is longer than that you may want to consider using RS422 adapters or an ethernet device server (which provides an RS232 port via ethernet.)
            Best regards,
            -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
            Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

its a run from my basement to the attic -- 2 floors plus basement, 3 stories... into attic. i have had the 800 in the basement at my panel. and coax to the second floor. i have one of those spyder style antennas. i will try to get a coax run or equivalent up to the attic. is there any difference if i have the wgl up there vs down in the basement?

Comment

would something like this work?
                https://www.123securityproducts.com/...dODhoCrM7w_wcB

Comment

how far are you guys expecting range?
                  i have one in my basement... but laying in the 1st floor rafters... and i can use a palmpad from my neighbors... oh 3 houses away....
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

wow then i must be doing something wrong. cause i cant get it 50 feet from an exposed antenna laterally... all i want to do is reach through my house... 2 floors... antenna is on a bookshelf on second floor. works on first floor. but doesnt go 50 feet left or right on second floor.

Comment

Objects like a bookcase, and wall in the near field the antenna are likely the problem. Get it up in the open, and it will do better. It could also be the building itself is not RF friendly at that frequency for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X