Slow x10 signals coming from homeseer to CM11A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow x10 signals coming from homeseer to CM11A

I have had slow x10 command reponse. The commands always make it but are slower than dirt at times. 10 to 30 second delays at times. Figuring it was noise on the line I systematically started unplugging devices all around the house. This did not solve the problem.

Next In I noticed something interesting. When I sent an x10 command as soon as the leveiton phase coupler flickered showing signal activity the x10 device would turn on or off. If the device responded quick, the phase coupler would show signal and flicker quick. If the x10 command was delayed the phase coupler signal indicator would be delayed, and as soon as it flickered the device would respond.

So for instance, x10 command sent from homeseer, 10 seconds pass by showing delay, then bam leviton signal activity blinks and immediately the device turns on. Based on that it seems the delay is coming from homeseer to the CM11a, or the cm11a is sitting there for 10 seconds then sending the signal out.

How do I troublehsoot this? what debugging can I turn on to see if ihmeseer is timing out and retrying/sending commands to the cm11a?

One thing to note is I use a prolific usb to serial converter for my CM11a since I am out of serial ports with the cm11a on com6. Been using this setup for years without issue, but maybe the delay is at the usb to serial converter level.

If you have another PC to test on, load a clean install of HS and connect your CM11a and test to see if this install is as slow. If it's not then it's something in your config.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

found a fix

so i moved the cm11a to to my physical serial port on my computer and notice speeds are fast and responsive again. But considering my configuration this was not a long term setup that would work. Problem is my rain8net only works with the physical serial ports and not the Prolific usb to serial driver adapter. So I was forced to move back the cm11a to the usb to serial adapter I hav serveral devices and only 2 physical serial ports, wrf800 on physical comport 2, rain8net on physical comport 1, homeseer voice modem on com3 and the cm11 on usb to serial dynect prolific on com5 and usb uirt on usb port.

The solution? . Three things... Upgrade prolific usb to serial driver/uninstall it/reinstall it and change from assigned comport6 to comport5 and physically moving usb devices to different usb ports on back of computer.

It wasn't just a matter of changing the prolific usb assigned comport from 6 to 5 but a combination of upgrading prolific serial to usb driver to latest version as well physically moving usb devices to different usb ports on the back of the computer. I wish I could say one change was the fix, but I'm not if it was a combination of the changes or 1 or 2 changes that fixed it.

commands are now fast and efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by proudx View Post
        so i moved the cm11a to to my physical serial port on my computer and notice speeds are fast and responsive again. But considering my configuration this was not a long term setup that would work. Problem is my rain8net only works with the physical serial ports and not the Prolific usb to serial driver adapter. So I was forced to move back the cm11a to the usb to serial adapter I hav serveral devices and only 2 physical serial ports, wrf800 on physical comport 2, rain8net on physical comport 1, homeseer voice modem on com3 and the cm11 on usb to serial dynect prolific on com5 and usb uirt on usb port.

The solution? . Three things... Upgrade prolific usb to serial driver/uninstall it/reinstall it and change from assigned comport6 to comport5 and physically moving usb devices to different usb ports on back of computer.

It wasn't just a matter of changing the prolific usb assigned comport from 6 to 5 but a combination of upgrading prolific serial to usb driver to latest version as well physically moving usb devices to different usb ports on the back of the computer. I wish I could say one change was the fix, but I'm not if it was a combination of the changes or 1 or 2 changes that fixed it.

commands are now fast and efficient.
        Good find. When these types of scenarios develop I've found over the years it's typically a hardware issue. You should consider one of the multi-port Edgeport devices. They are affordable on eBay and work well with various hardware.

Comment

edgeport/8

I got an edgeport/8 and installed it. Now my cm11a will not work though the edgeport/8 after hibernation. Anyone seen this before?

Comment

Originally posted by proudx View Post
            I got an edgeport/8 and installed it. Now my cm11a will not work though the edgeport/8 after hibernation. Anyone seen this before?

Another obervation. I run Homeseer as a service. After resuming from Hibernation I noticed if I stop the homeseer service and restart it, the CM11A works again.

So this points to a problem with the CM11A homeseer plugin after hibernation and not the edgeport?

Comment

As a rule, you shouldnt allow your HS machine to hibernate. All of the interfaces run better when there are no interruptions.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the exact problem. I have 2 CM11a's to test with, and also a 2413U modem with the plug-in enabled for X-10, and I get the slow X-10 with all of them. Usually there is one device in an event that doesn't happen, and I have standard dim modules that simply will not dim to zero anymore. I have an X-10 tabletop controller that can dim the modules to zero in 3 seconds. It takes HomeSeer 15 seconds to send dim to zero, and most of the modules don't respond to it. The tabletop controller works when it's plugged into the same outlet my CM11a or 2413U modem is, so it's not noise on my line. Any ideas? Is this an acknowledged problem and does the clean install fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by Isk82 View Post
                  Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the exact problem. I have 2 CM11a's to test with, and also a 2413U modem with the plug-in enabled for X-10, and I get the slow X-10 with all of them. Usually there is one device in an event that doesn't happen, and I have standard dim modules that simply will not dim to zero anymore. I have an X-10 tabletop controller that can dim the modules to zero in 3 seconds. It takes HomeSeer 15 seconds to send dim to zero, and most of the modules don't respond to it. The tabletop controller works when it's plugged into the same outlet my CM11a or 2413U modem is, so it's not noise on my line. Any ideas? Is this an acknowledged problem and does the clean install fix this?
                  This is typically caused by low end pc hardware or the hardware that is used to connect the controller or noise. You can always load HS on another PC to test as well.

Comment

It's been running flawlessly on the same hardware for the last 3 years. I was using a Serial to USB adapter with the CM11a's and suspected that until I got the same result with the 2413U Insteon modem. Now I am wondering about the USB ports because they don't stay the same number, and there are a lot in use that I really don't know what for.

I have a new HP Mini laptop coming on Monday that I bought on an auction with an Intel Atom 1.66GHz with Windows 7. Is this good enough hardware?

Comment

I have a new HP Mini laptop coming on Monday that I bought on an auction with an Intel Atom 1.66GHz with Windows 7. Is this good enough hardware?
                      That should be plenty. I've been running Homeseer on an Atom 1.66 w/XP for about a year (along with Blue Iris running my cameras) without any problems.
                      Dick
                      HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

I've been running on a mini for over a year now and it's more than enough. When you get it, turn off Aero, UAC and set it up so that it never hibernates or allows devices to "turn off to conserve power". Dont let the disk spin down either. Rupp mentioned that he couldnt get HS running on a mini a while back, but there are several users who are running these low-cost/low-power solutions just fine.
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Running on an Atom here, and love it. All but one device (Z-Troller) is connected through an Edgeport/8.
                          Initially, I did have some problems and found in Windows, the USB ports in particular were set to "Allow to turn off". This seems to be the default condition in Windows. The Ethernet port was also set to "Allow to turn off to save power", which caused me a lot of headaches. Disabling these fixed everything.
                          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement about the Mini. I was considering one a while back to save electricity over the desktop I was currently running HS on, but they were still pretty pricey. I only paid $112 this one, so I figured I'd give it a try. Interesting about the Blue Iris too. I never heard of that. I am running an 8 channel embedded Linux DVR in H.264, but I don't have it integrated well with HS.

Comment

Bill,

You could also take the Linux DVR stuff over to open source Linux such that it could be integrated into Homeseer. Most of the video processing takes place on the multiport video capture card leaving the CPU / Memory for the additional functions. With the swap from analogue to digital; some of the video multiport capture cards have both analogue and digital outputs.

Current HS configuration on the Foxconn D510 was originally tested via a virtual IP only connection in a VM to a Digi USB anywhere with the "other side" connected to Digi Edgeports. Today HS runs on a Foxconn D510 purchased last year with a single USB connection going to one 7 port Digi USB hub (USB 1.0) and from there going to multiple USB devices including two 8 port Digi Edgeport USB to serial devices. Thru the years I've kept using the same comm ports for the same devices connected to HS; documenting them making it a bit easier should a hardware swapout be necessary.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X