Can someone help me with handlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone help me with handlers?

Well, I thought I had this all figured out but, nope.

I created a handler named "Work". The in the Before/After Commands field I entered "HS[ControlDevice~Colin Work~On]". I set the number of minutes before to 840.

My thinking was that if there is a calendar event with "Work" in the title it would turn the Colin Work device on 14 hours before the entry begins. That's not what's happening. It turns the device on ALL THE TIME. Presumably every time the calendar is checked. This isn't much fun since it's waking me up at 4 AM on weekends. My plan is to have HS remind me to go to bed if I'm still up at a certain time and to wake me up the following morning. It isn't reminding me to go to bed but it is waking me up; just it's waking me up on days when there is no Work calendar entry.

Also:

What does number of minutes after mean?

What does use end time mean?

What are the after commands?

Thanks everyone.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Can you post a screenshot of the handler?
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

It would be my pleasure.
      Attached Files

Comment

Maybe this is useful also?
        Attached Files

Comment

Can you try setting the Trigger phrase in the handler to "Work"
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

It is done. I will report any new results.

Comment

It appears that I have uncovered two issues.

The first is that it apparently can't look ahead to the next day. That would explain why every morning at 12:00 AM the device turns on. In part.

The second is that the number of minutes before offset doesn't do anything.

Story:

I created a work event in my calendar for tomorrow at 9 AM. I set the offset to 1020 or however many minutes and nothing happened. Then I removed the trigger word "Work" which I had previously added, adjusted the offset accordingly and still nothing happened. So I dragged the calendar entry from tomorrow to today and immediately the command went through even though it is well past 9 AM. I then adjusted the start time of the calendar event to 6 PM today, adjusted the offset accordingly and the command didn't fire. I added the trigger word "Work", adjusted the offset value accordingly and again it didn't trigger.

Now, none of this explains when it was running the command on days when there were no calendar entries containing the word Work. It does explain why the virtual device wasn't turning on the day before the event though.

I'll get a log off to you ASAP.

Comment

I can now report with confidence that the second bug is squashed! Oh man! My house now gives me Hell if I'm up too late and I have to work in the morning. One step closer to virtual executive assistant!

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                  I can now report with confidence that the second bug is squashed! Oh man! My house now gives me Hell if I'm up too late and I have to work in the morning. One step closer to virtual executive assistant!
                  SF

Could you give me a run-down of what is, and is not working for you with handlers? I know that you are an old Vera user where this worked flawlessly, but for the life of me, I cannot get this to work reliably.

I had my 'Work' handler fired today and there is no calendar event to correspond with it. My 'Holiday' handler fired a day early as well (Canada day is July 1) and has historically never turned off, and that didn't change.

It seems that I cannot get anything to work the way it is supposed to. Trying to log errors is nearly impossible because if you leave the log running for any length of time to try and capture random fires, the file gets ridiculously large, and test fires don't seem to accomplish anything. I wish this would just work!!!

Comment

What's working:

Calendar events that aren't multiple days.

The offset crossing midnight. I have an offset of 14 hours for my work calendar events so I can be reminded to get in bed if I'm up too late and work the next day.

Multi day calendar event handler after commands now work.

What's not working:

Calendar events that span multiple days. Handler fires 24 hours early for me here too. That's new with the last update. I believe they used to fire 24 hours late and wouldn't turn off.

There's probably more that isn't working but I haven't put BLGData through its paces in a while.

There are also other BLGData things that aren't working. Well, I think basically everything else doesn't work. Contacts don't work. I can't view the calendars. Google Voice integration doesn't work. I understand that the last is particularly difficult for Blade to iron out as there's no Google Voice in Canuckistan.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                      What's working:

Calendar events that aren't multiple days.

The offset crossing midnight. I have an offset of 14 hours for my work calendar events so I can be reminded to get in bed if I'm up too late and work the next day.

Multi day calendar event handler after commands now work.

What's not working:

Calendar events that span multiple days. Handler fires 24 hours early for me here too. That's new with the last update. I believe they used to fire 24 hours late and wouldn't turn off.

There's probably more that isn't working but I haven't put BLGData through its paces in a while.

There are also other BLGData things that aren't working. Well, I think basically everything else doesn't work. Contacts don't work. I can't view the calendars. Google Voice integration doesn't work. I understand that the last is particularly difficult for Blade to iron out as there's no Google Voice in Canuckistan.

Ok so it sounds like we are on the same page. Do your All Day events fire correctly? I've got a 'Holiday' handler the will turn on, but not off.

I haven't tried anything else on the plug-in but I can view my calendar without issues. I am also a Canuckistani, so I can't use voice either.

Comment

Lemme test an all day event to see. Not sure.

But! The best we can do is give Blade comprehensive debug logs of the errors happening on his site. I know. I know. I need to be better about this as well. If you could catch a debug log of the handler running 24 hours early that would be great! I'll do my best as well. Just don't expect anything in the way of improvements immediately. Poseidon invaded his development space recently.

Comment

If you can get me a debug log of the all day event issue and detail out exactly what is happening I should be able to figure it out.

If you still have 2.0.35 in your updates3 folder I would try loading it and see if it resolves the issue. I had another user try this and so far it is working. That will help me determine the cause of the issue and what I need to do in order to resolve it in the latest build
                          Cheers,
                          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                            If you can get me a debug log of the all day event issue and detail out exactly what is happening I should be able to figure it out.

If you still have 2.0.35 in your updates3 folder I would try loading it and see if it resolves the issue. I had another user try this and so far it is working. That will help me determine the cause of the issue and what I need to do in order to resolve it in the latest build

Just checked the updater3 folder and .35 isn't in there. I am currently running .38

I'm going to test an all-day handler set for tomorrow (an existing handler I'm going to modify). I'm assuming you only require logs for the time period where it turns on, then off? I shouldn't need to run the log for the duration of the day should I? That could get bulky.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post

I've started a debug log now. I created a multi-day event that starts in 24 hours so we will see if it fires early like it has been. There is also a 24 hour event that starts tomorrow. Hopefully I can let it run the whole time and forget about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X