HS3 as MODBUS Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 as MODBUS Gateway

I would like to know if it is possible to use an HS3 platform to setup a Z-Wave to MODBUS data gateway. I have Z-Wave devices (t-stats) that need to be viewed and adjusted through a MODBUS user interface.

This should be possible with the plugins and some virtual devices. Can you describe a use case in some more detail? The z-wave plugin is free as part of HS3 and the modbus plugin has a 30 day trial so you can test your scenario before spending.

Gaz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Gaz,
      My application would be to integrate about 4 ZWave devices (t-stats) with a commercial building automation system that has a MODBUS RTU network. Points from the t-stats such as setpoint and temperature need to be mapped over to MODBUS registers so that they show up on the building automation system as MODBUS points. Hopefully, this can be achieved.

Thanks,
      Bill

Comment

I don't see why not. You should be able to use an event or simple script to map the two.

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

I purchased the ZEE-S2 and Modbus plug-in from the online store. Received the package but don't see how I can download the driver without paying for it again.

Comment

Found the key and password on my receipt. Sorry for jumping the gun.

On another note, I presume I need to install a USB/RS485 adapter on my ZEE S2 to support the Modbus Serial network connection. Can you recommend one or 2?

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Bill. You can either install a USB device or use an IP to Modbus device and communicate over IP giving a little more flexibility and less power drain in the Pi.

Let me check the USB model I use and I'll let you know

Comment

I use one of these for testing and then any old USB to serial device supported by the Pi should work.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and info, Gaz. I'm expecting to have to install a driver for whatever USB device I end up getting. I'm not a Linux guy, so I'm not sure how to go about installing driver software into the ZEE device. Are there any guide documents out there regarding device driver installation for the ZEE that you can point me to?

Comment

I'm afraid we're outside the scope of the plugin support here as well as my knowledge of the ZEE. I don't run one so I don't want to speculate on something that might let you down.

There are a number of USB to serial devices supported by Raspbian that I'm pretty sure the Zee runs - Google is your friend here.

If your budget will stretch look at the Lantronix IP to Serial (and RS485) devices and you can go pure IP - more costly for sure, but perhaps more reliable and supported in the long run?

Comment

Gaz,
                      Well I decided to go with TCP. My ZEE IP address is 192.168.1.112. I have a Modbus Gateway device on my network set at 192.168.1.113. I configured the PI Modbus Gateway setting with that address, and I get the message "Passed connectivity test to gateway" when I click the Test button, however, the PI remains in the Unreachable state. Any ideas?

Comment

Is the gateway 'enabled' on the device configuration screen?

Have you added an register/could devices for the gateway to access and retrieve data from?

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
                          Is the gateway 'enabled' on the device configuration screen?

Have you added an register/could devices for the gateway to access and retrieve data from?

Yes, the gateway is enabled.
                          I have created 4 registers on the gateway device that I can see and manipulate from another application, so it seems to be communicating. If I understand the gateway product correctly, the data resides in a virtual device address 8, and the 4 holding registers (16 bit) are 1, 3, 5 and 7.

Comment

Did you create register devices in HS3 to represent your holding registers at 1,3,5,7? Can you go to the PI config page and enable debug logging / log to file and then mail me the log file in the \logs folder? Gavin at highpeak.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
                              Did you create register devices in HS3 to represent your holding registers at 1,3,5,7? Can you go to the PI config page and enable debug logging / log to file and then mail me the log file in the \logs folder? Gavin at highpeak.co.za

Gaz
                              I emailed the info you requested to gavin@highpeak.co.za and wanted to check with you to see if you received it.
                              Bill
                              Last edited by BillBeauvais; September 13, 2016, 03:32 PM. Reason: address correction

Comment

Working...
                              X