Z-Wave TRV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave TRV

Can anyone recommend z-wave or WiFi TRV's for use with HomeSeer that work reliably in the UK?

I've had a search but couldn't really see any conclusive posts.

I have purchased a couple of Eurotronic Radiator Thermostat Comet TRV's to try which added into HomeSeer without problemn but don't seem to be sending any information out and cannot find anymore info one them.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Simon

Search on StellaZ and you will get 25 threads covering all the experiences folks have with that product. Personally, I believe it to be the best out there are present - I have 21 in my network and they do the job very well for me.

Comment

I've got a couple of Danfoss ones that work OK.

Comment

I use StellaZ's, and after a few initial problems of understanding and setting up the polling, they work really well. Once every 3 months I might have to rescan them, when they stop waking up. I have set up routines to notify me when they haven't woken up in a while, then I can manually wake them up and rescan them. But this is very infrequent. Apparently there are major issues with the Danfoss and HS3, so I never went down that route. Also I had my StellaZ's still from Vera times. (What a nightmare that was in comparison to HS3 but that's another story). I think here in the UK or Europe there is no real alternative to StellaZ's.

Comment

Not sure about major issues. Mine work just fine.
          What are the major issues?

Comment

I cant remember. I know when I moved to HS I looked on here about TRV's, and they said Danfoss is not compatible. That doesn't mean people cant get it to work as you obviously have. But I do remember reading on here that they do not work and due to how they work will never work. Which is obviously wrong... There was a point I was thinking of changing, but thought I had no other choice. Good to know for the future that the Danfoss do work. Did you have problems getting them to work ? Any restrictions ?

Comment

Having done a quick search on here about the Danfoss, they seem to work fine now with most people. So please disregard the comment about issues. Probably the same as with the StellaZ's, bit tricky to get them to work first of all but once you got them working they are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                Having done a quick search on here about the Danfoss, they seem to work fine now with most people. So please disregard the comment about issues. Probably the same as with the StellaZ's, bit tricky to get them to work first of all but once you got them working they are fine.
                I think there is more than one model and the older ones are less successful!

Comment

I have several Eurotronic and Popp Trvs. My main issue with them is the fact they 'eat' batteries. Several parameters can be altered to change display orientation and others. I change the set temperatute twice a day for Day and Night use. When batteries neeed to be changed they sometimes lose their Z-Wave ID and need to be re-included.

I have added two Fibaro TRVs lately and they are aesthetically very pleasing. It also stops guest who are not used to an automated house turning the TRV off the radiators and then complaining the room is too hot. Temperature can be adjusted by turning the TRV as per old traditional TRV and temperature is displayed by colours. Can be recharged using a USB battery power bank.

There are less items displayed in HS.

After three months use considering changing the other TRVs for more Fibaro TRVs.

Comment

I had moved from the Stella's to Eurotronic Spirit. They do not eat batteries (they last 9m to 1yr), and are very responsive due to be FLIR. So any setpoint you send is taken immediately, not like the Stellas when you have to wait until they wake up. Very happy with them. I have converted most of them to mains by soldering a 3V supply to them, so no changing batteries any more

Comment

Does anyone know if any of these TRV's will send a notification when they open?

Do the Eurotronics send back a Temperature reading to homeseer aswell as take their setpoint via Flir (so quickly).
                      I'm fed up of the really slow (or not at all) wake of the Danfoss.

Comment

They send a temperature. I am not sure how often, I poll mine manually as I dont really use their temperature reading, only to confirm the rad is on. The setpoint they accept immediately, also when you turn the mode from heat to off or vice versa. I think there are setting where you can set it to being able to control %open, that should also be immediately but I control mine via setpoints.

Comment

Perfect Mike cheers.

I'm sick of the lack of attractive Wireless Stats for Z-Wave even 5 years after adopting the technology.

I'm looking now at using the boiler switch as a demand switch based on the condition of the TRV's and doing away with the central stat.

To do this I need to turn ON the boiler when a room is below the setpoint of the stat, and off the boiler at or above.

A fast setpoint and a reportable value are a must and the Danfoss just don't cut it now.

I do use a Powered Stat for my bathroom (HeatIt) with no load connected, and pair it with a Secure On/Off switch and hard wired solenoid in a hidden wall panel to turn on and off a wall mounted Water filled Rad in the bathroom. This Secure On/Off then is Directly associated to the Boiler Switch and turns the boiler on when the bathroom needs heat regardless of the status of the Hallway stat.

Comment

I would recommend something like the Oregon temperature sensors. They come in a 10 channel version, so you can have lots without interference. They are reasonably priced, and report every minute. As you can place them anywhere in the room, they will be far more accurate than the temp reporting from the valve. Due to the valve being right next to the rad. you will not get a accurate temp reading in my experience. You will have this with any TRV though. The Rfxtrx (RFXCom PI) will pick those up (and a lot more)

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                              I would recommend something like the Oregon temperature sensors. They come in a 10 channel version, so you can have lots without interference. They are reasonably priced, and report every minute. As you can place them anywhere in the room, they will be far more accurate than the temp reporting from the valve. Due to the valve being right next to the rad. you will not get a accurate temp reading in my experience. You will have this with any TRV though. The Rfxtrx (RFXCom PI) will pick those up (and a lot more)
                              I have temperature recording in the room already. The issue being I need to know the temperature the VALVE thinks the room is. As I need to know whether or not the valve would be closed.

Basically looking to the Valves to sent the demand to the boiler switch, or do it in a round about was with logic.

If it wasn't a 1907 build and was something more modern I'd lift the floors and run hard wiring, with something like the Quibino PWM and a solenoid for each rad but it's just not practacle. .

Comment

Working...
                              X