EU ZWave - is there a better way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU ZWave - is there a better way?

I've a reasonable sized ZWave network (23 devices - more at Christmas) that I control with HS and an ACT ZCU201 interface. However I absolutely hate moving or adding new devices as the transfer of info from the ACT ZTH100 to the ZCU201 is so unreliable. I've seen me try a transfer 10-20 times before HS picks up the changes or new devices.

I'd love to change it, but to what? What are others using? Aeon Labs Z-Wave Z-Stick Series 2 USB Dongle? Is it any better?
    Malcolm

Wow I didn't know that the ACT ZCU201 still worked with HS3 or HS2 for that matter at all. Anything newer should work a lot better as Z-Wave continues to evolve. The newest Z-Wave chips will be a huge improvement to the protocol as well.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I can confirm it still works (after a fashion) with HS2 Pro. I've started my upgrade to HS3 Pro and was going to just set my ZWave devices up again but was dreading that bit. Maybe I should invest in a new interface / controller.
      Malcolm

Comment

I have used the ACT ZCU201 with HS2 and I didn't like it, and I gave up completely with HS3. In July I bought a AEON Labs Z stick and for me this works reliably and comfortably with HS3.

Comment

I'm using a Z stick 2 with HS3 Pro, and it gets better with each Z-wave plug in beta. I presently have 29 Z-wave devices, and a stable network.

It has allowed me to remove a lot of Bye Bye Standby devices (Must find out what component to replace in those failing sockets!), and even the X10 devices are on their way out !
          Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Z-Wave Range

I've just started to trial HS3 with the primary aim to control my central heating using Popp radiator valves. I bought a Z-Wave.me UZB, a Popp TRV, aTZ69 socket and a AEOTEC smart switch; the sockets being used to extend the network. All these products are z-wave plus so I expected to get full network coverage in the house which is a wide chalet bungalow. By moving the TZ69 socket around the house I found that it needed to be within 9 metres of the z-wave.me UZB which was a lot less than expected but OK since the office housing the PC has a lot of electrical equipment. However, when I added the Aeotec to the system I found it also had to be within about 9m of the TZ69 in order for the z-wave.me UZB to connect to it via the TZ69. The internal walls of the house are solid (brick or blocks) so maybe I wasn't expecting the state 40m range for the TZ69 but I was expecting at least half of that. I have a couple of wi-fi routers and a Gigaset wireless phone but both of these operate at the gigabit range so I assume these aren't the problem. Is anyone in the EU getting similar limited range so I'll just have to try more repeater sockets or should I be trying something else?

Comment

Originally posted by johnla View Post
              I've just started to trial HS3 with the primary aim to control my central heating using Popp radiator valves. I bought a Z-Wave.me UZB, a Popp TRV, aTZ69 socket and a AEOTEC smart switch; the sockets being used to extend the network. All these products are z-wave plus so I expected to get full network coverage in the house which is a wide chalet bungalow. By moving the TZ69 socket around the house I found that it needed to be within 9 metres of the z-wave.me UZB which was a lot less than expected but OK since the office housing the PC has a lot of electrical equipment. However, when I added the Aeotec to the system I found it also had to be within about 9m of the TZ69 in order for the z-wave.me UZB to connect to it via the TZ69. The internal walls of the house are solid (brick or blocks) so maybe I wasn't expecting the state 40m range for the TZ69 but I was expecting at least half of that. I have a couple of wi-fi routers and a Gigaset wireless phone but both of these operate at the gigabit range so I assume these aren't the problem. Is anyone in the EU getting similar limited range so I'll just have to try more repeater sockets or should I be trying something else?
              The top and bottom of it is that you will need a reasonable sprinkling of routing devices to make a strong network.

I've been running Z-Wave here for more than 5 years in an old (1870) solid-walled house with zero hardware failures and very few other problems.

I currently have around 50 physical devices of which more than 40 are routing nodes. They are a mix of newer Gen5 and older 4.5x devices running on a .me UZB1 controller which itself is located in one corner of the house inside a cabinet with a pile of other electronic devices.

Not trying to detract from your plans but if you have a standard wet heating system with radiators, have you considered the Honeywell Evohome system?
              I've had it's predecessor installed here for about 7 years with zero issues.

Paul..

Comment

Working...
              X