Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWACS (Two-Way Automatic Communication System)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWACS (Two-Way Automatic Communication System)

My elecrical provider uses TWACS (Two-Way Automatic Communication System) to read your meter.

DOes anyone know how to interface or read this type of communications?

Devoir

I think the early iterations of meters used some cell signals and more recent ones used Zigbee - at least that is what I understood. That said, a lot of us just use a whole house energy monitor and plugin the utility rates to get a general idea of the $$ used in a given month. I would be curious of any of the meter protocols are 'open' though.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

There is one forum user here looking at utilizing an SDR (software defined radio) to read his meters.

Monitoring some power/gas/water meters via an RTL-SDR

Here been testing an RPi2 configured (on my ZNet like device) SDR NOAA Weather maps reception script (and programs). It is working well today.

On the Domoticz automation forum there have been discussions relating to utilizing SDR for all kinds of sensors. The plugins are written in LUA over there.

Here updating water meter reader tomorrow Friday and will have a look see. Updated water meter a couple of years ago to a mostly plastic one from a Brass one. The town provided the water meter but made the residents pay for installation (?). I did my own as the prices to do this were close to $1000.

The town mentioned radio and the ability to do the entire subdivision from one location.
      Last edited by Pete; January 25, 2018, 10:20 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've got a Rainforest Eagle 200 gateway hoped up to my meter. It talks zigbee to the meter and is approved by the utility and the PUC. I can only get instantaneous demand and consumption though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Googling looks like the Universal Devices folks have an add (Zigbee radio) add on for the Rainforest Eagle gateways.

Here you have a 3rd party Zigbee all plugin ...which started life as a JowiHue Plug-In

Maybe asking the plugin author about support for the Rainforest Eagle.

Here a few of my current Homeseer Touch touchscreen tabletop tablets (and SqueezePlayers) started life as Utility (Zigbee) thermostat and meter reader touchscreen. These were promoted by a few Utility companies here in the midwest and west coast and Cisco. These run a tight Linux which fits on a 1Gb/2Gb eMMC.

[ATTACH]66157[/ATTACH]
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

From hxxps://rainforestautomation.com/rfa-z114-eagle-200/

If I am reading this correctly, it looks like the Rainforest unit can send info via REST. Might be an opportunity for a PI developer to create a direct integration to HS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mwolter View Post
              From hxxps://rainforestautomation.com/rfa-z114-eagle-200/

If I am reading this correctly, it looks like the Rainforest unit can send info via REST. Might be an opportunity for a PI developer to create a direct integration to HS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
              That's what I've done to some extent. I'm using Node Red on a pi to poll the Eagle locally and send the data to HS via MQTT.

Works pretty well. My only compliant is that the Eagle doesn't update as quickly as I'd like. Though I'm not sure if that's the Eagle or the meter.

Also, just the clarify, the Eagle is a zigbee to Ethernet (wired or wifi) bridge. No additional devices needed to read electricity meters that support HAN (Home Area Network) devices.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Brass vs Plastic flow meter

Pete,

you indicated you traded from Brass to Plastic. Which plastic unit is available for the flow meter?

Comment

Eagle is alive

I finally got the Rainforest Eagle to connect to my meter ..... onwards to figure out the plugin

Thanks everyone

Devoir

Comment

Working...
                  X