.NET Open Source announcment - HS Linux/Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.NET Open Source announcment - HS Linux/Mac

Just wondering what it means for Homeseer that MS announced native .NET support on Mac and Linux?

Does this mean the current effort to work on Linux was wasted?

Hoping HS or someone that understands it better will chime in.

Anyone?

Comment

Old thread, I know, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. The open source announcement from Microsoft IMHO is great news. This will only open up more opportunities for cross platform development in the future.

The effort put into making the Linux version of HS was definitely not wasted. It relies on Mono, which is an open source "clean room" implementation of .Net, sponsored by Novell. Mono has been a work in progress for many years, but necessarily lags behind the official .Net releases since the developers essentially have to reverse engineer or even guess at how to implement new features in Mono. Microsoft has committed to working with the Mono project so that they stay in sync.

Bottom line is that HS under Linux/Mac will only get better because of this.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
      X