Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate PWS Service (No More Weather Underground APIs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate PWS Service (No More Weather Underground APIs)

Now that Weather Underground is no longer providing free API Keys, will you be connecting this to another service which has PWS information? I just purchased a PWS but cannot use it with Weather Underground due to their new policy. :-(

Press Release here...

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/

Comment

I've been looking at other sources. There is ambient.net but they don't provide any forecast info.

From what I understand with Weather Underground, they will still allow people to register their personal weather stations, and there will be a way to download a file with the stations info but they won't provide a free API to have access to their forecast, or historical weather information.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

No grandfathered in for existing key holders, or did I miss something? Sucks for Jeff, as he has put an incredible amount of time on this plugin.
        Don

Comment

Hi Don,
          At the moment, existing API's are still working. But in the post on their site they used "for now". I expect them to shut them off at some point.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no way to just buy a package online? You have to sign up for a sales pitch? Does anybody know if there's an affordable base package?

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
              Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no way to just buy a package online? You have to sign up for a sales pitch? Does anybody know if there's an affordable base package?
              So, how many $hundreds are you willing to pay per month for weather from Weather Underground? The lowest plan that I have seen so far is in the hundreds of dollars per month. IBM's plan is that this will be for big business only or for apps with thousands of users.

I am lucky there (maybe) since they are making an exception for those with weather stations that are sending data to WU. However, it will be a greatly reduced API and will not include weather radar. I don't know if it will be worth messing with.

Comment

Is Dark Sky an Option, I have an API from them. I also see you have them as an option in the forecast. Can you use them for all info?

Comment

The inclusion of Dark Sky in the dropdown was premature. It doesn't work yet. I am working on adding them as an option and forgot to remove it before posting a new version. I have had contact with them and there will be a way to get a free API key.

​​​​​​
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

I pre-emptively switched over to WWO. NOAA is flakey and no 'current forecast' variable exists because they switch their "day" forecast to "night" forecast around 4PM and remove the "day" forecast, so it's impossible to create a sensible device for HSTouch with their switcheroo. The other issue with all the replacements is that they don't offer precipitation (at least not as a "device" for HSTouch). Is Dark Sky any better in this regard?

Comment

This is from their docs: Weather Conditions

The Dark Sky API offers a full collection of meteorological conditions in 39 different languages, including:
                      • Apparent (feels-like) temperature
                      • Atmospheric pressure
                      • Cloud cover
                      • Dew point
                      • Humidity
                      • Liquid precipitation rate
                      • Moon phase
                      • Nearest storm distance
                      • Nearest storm direction
                      • Ozone
                      • Precipitation type
                      • Snowfall
                      • Sun rise/set
                      • Temperature
                      • Text summaries
                      • UV index
                      • Wind gust
                      • Wind speed
                      • Wind direction
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I'm hoping they have corresponding weather icons, too. I'll wait for the PI update.

Comment

Working...
                        X