Unable to back up to NAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to back up to NAS

I'm using Win7 and I can back up to my NAS only if I manually connect to the mapped NAS share and folder. If I reboot the machine the connection to the NAS does not automatically connect.

I have implemented this start up wScript to try and solve it:
    'Map network drive
    WScript.Sleep(10000)
    Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "W:", "\\aquarius\cumulus"
    objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\NASxxxx\backup\HA Backup\homeseer\HS3"

The W drive does connect but not the H drive. In addition to the 10 sec delay in the script, I delay the running of the script by another 10 seconds using Startup Delayer.

Any hints on a way to do this?

I'm just using the UNC path in BLBackup without any issues.
    Attached Files

Comment

In my case I have a flash drive as the destination on the BLBackup General Options page which I use for a daily backup of all files and then I do a weekly on each HS directory to my NAS by listing the NAS with the UNC path on the directory page in BLBackup. The daily is working fine, but it is the weekly backups to the NAS that breaks when the system does it's weekly re-boot. If I click on the mapped drive to the NAS in explorer to remove the red x, the BLBackup to the NAS works ok.

I think the problem is a win7 issue. Are you running win7?

Comment

Yes, Windows 7 64 bit.

Why do you need to use mapped network drive at all, when you can just use the UNC path?

The issue appears to be that the mapped network drive isn't reconnecting properly after after a reboot, as when you manually click back on the mapped network drive it is reconnecting and then everything is ok.

Just use UNC path should work without any issues after a reboot.

Comment

Yes, that is the answer. After doing away with the drive mapping and using the UNC path it has worked flawlessly for several weeks now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonk View Post
            I'm just using the UNC path in BLBackup without any issues.

I'm trying to connect this way from my Zee to my NAS and I keep getting a "Directory not found error." I've tried various combinations, including using the NAS name or it's IP. e.g.:
            \\NAS6\backups\zee -OR-

\\192.168.1.134\backups\zee

I've also tried reversing the slashes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get the backup module to backup somewhere other than on the Zee.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
              I'm trying to connect this way from my Zee to my NAS and I keep getting a "Directory not found error." I've tried various combinations, including using the NAS name or it's IP. e.g.:
              \\NAS6\backups\zee -OR-

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get the backup module to backup somewhere other than on the Zee.
              I would be happy if I could use the UNC path or at least another possibility to back-up to the NAS.

Using a Netgear NAS OS6

---
              John

Comment

\\NAS6\backups\zee -OR-

Have you tried it with a \ at the end of the UNC path \\NAS6\backups\zee\ ?

Does the share on the NAS have full permissions for the HomeSeer computer to be able to connect and backup too?

Comment

Originally posted by Simonk View Post
                  Have you tried it with a \ at the end of the UNC path \\NAS6\backups\zee\ ?

Does the share on the NAS have full permissions for the HomeSeer computer to be able to connect and backup too?

The trailing slashes didn't work either. The HomeSeer computer is a Pi 3. Some function must be missing. Maybe installing Samba on the Zee? But if the NAS needs network credentials for BLBack to connect to it BLBack has no where to store them.

Comment

The trailing slashes didn't work either. The HomeSeer computer is a Pi 3. Some function must be missing. Maybe installing Samba on the Zee? But if the NAS needs network credentials for BLBack to connect to it BLBack has no where to store them.
                    Samba won't help I don't think. That would be for sharing from the rpi, not for the other way round. Try googling 'raspberry pi map windows network drive', and look for results pertaining to mounting network drives on the rpi.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                      Samba won't help I don't think. That would be for sharing from the rpi, not for the other way round. Try googling 'raspberry pi map windows network drive', and look for results pertaining to mounting network drives on the rpi.

Thank you - that was my next step!

Comment

Thank you - that was my next step!

Git it to connect using a command line cifs mount command. Now how to I setup BLTed to do a backup when I randomly wish to? There are no "devices' shown in the Homeseer Devices page (I did make sure all types were visible.)

Thank You!
                        /usr/local/HomeSeer.bak/zee_mnt $ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=ausername //192.168.1.9/pc-backups/somebackupdirname/ /usr/local/HomeSeer.bak/somemntpoint_mnt/

Comment

Working...
                        X