Solid state hardrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid state hardrive

has eney one try a solid state hardrive, i would like to know if this is the furture.

I have a Transend (sp?) 32GB for my car pc.
    Basically compare the specs to get a performance feel for it.
    I really like mine and after loading a ton of files on it the drive was still cold to the touch. People who are running 5400 RPM laptop harddrives rarely notice a difference. People who have a brand new Dell laptop with an SATA2 hard drive notice a difference.

One thing about Windows XP Embedded (Hometrollers and PRO100 units) don't see a performance loss. XPe has a delayed write filter and the write cycle is where a lot of people see an issue.

~Bill

Comment

The future is solid state as they continue to break space limits and pricing comes down. Netbooks with 8g solid state drives are cheap - there are a number of manufacturers out there with laptops with 64g drives solid state drives in them. Sandisk has a 60g, 120g and is working a 240g drive now - the speeds look incredible - we will watch the technology mature. The 120g drives lists at 249.00 which is less than half of cost the first harddrive I bought a 20meg for Unix - thought I would never fill it up

Comment

solid state drive

what i want know is are thay bootable, or just for back up.can i run windows xp on it.

eney out there who has setup a OS please post your experence an coment on this.

Comment

use it like any other hard drive.
          it is a replacement hard drive.

~Bill

Comment

I was just playing around with an ide to compactflash converter. It plugs in instead of a hard drive and uses the floppy power cable to run it. I have a 4 gig compactflash with a slipstream version of xp on it. No I'm not running Hs on it (have a Hometroller). It does boot just like a regular hard drive.
            Stuart

the adapters are cheap, but just be careful if you get one to carefully line up the pins as they tend to slightly bend in the mail.
            http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10309

Comment

the adapter works so well for a Compact Flash, as they use the same protocol for transferring data as lder hard drives did (do?).

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

When the term solid state hard drive was used I was refering to something like this (I have one, it is very good).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208445

~Bill

Comment

solid state drive

thank's bill

for the info an the link to newegg i will spend some time reading all the pro's an con on this subject. i found a link to youtube with some video clips on these hd.next week i wil get a 128gb from newegg, then setup xp.pro an hs 2.3 for testing.i forgot to ask,has eneyone try running hs 2.3 0n a solid state drive, please post.

Comment

I has 2.3 running on my car pc, no issues at all.

~Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X