HS3 says its watering, but its not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 says its watering, but its not...

I have 2 HS3 systems with Rain8Net irrigation controllers and BLRain8Net plugins. For 3 years, one system has worked fine while the other is plagued with issues. The plagued system has had virtually every component replaced, including the cpu, but to no avail. However, that's not my question here. Many of these problems I could easily deal with except I dont know its a problem until my grass is dying (about 2 weeks in south Texas). And, inevitably, it happens when I'm out of town. I could more easily isolate the problem if I immediately knew the system wasn't really watering, but in real time all HS3 indicators, including the log, show that the event fired and valves were opened; Rain8Net apparently does not report back its actual status so all you know is that Rain8Net was instructed to open, not whether it actually did. Is there anyway to know definitively that a valve opened short of putting a water sensor on the sprinkler head?? Is there an inline water flo-sensor?? Is there an irrigation controller that reports its actual status??
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

I put flow sensors on our main water line and also the line used for irrigation. Then I've set up HS to alert when there's flow when there should be none, or when there's no flow when there should be some. I use the DLJ water meters coupled with a mimolite. Fortrezz now has an integrated option too: http://www.fortrezz.com/flow-meter.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
      Rain8Net apparently does not report back its actual status so all you know is that Rain8Net was instructed to open, not whether it actually did. Is there anyway to know definitively that a valve opened short of putting a water sensor on the sprinkler head?? Is there an inline water flo-sensor?? Is there an irrigation controller that reports its actual status??
      I believe the Rain8Net reports it's relay status, but if the valve doesn't open, the relay controller can't tell. If Blade's plug-in closes the loop with the Rain8 (mcsSprinklers does, for sure), then I would suspect the problem is in the wiring to the valve(s) (or the valve itself).
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Here too used a DLJ water meter. Connected it to a dual 1-wire counter.

Went to the original Rain8Net serial devices (2).

Lines here are 1" copper to RPZ to plastic manifold to PVC zones. (plus an on demand Davey Flow pump).

Did have two Rain8net glitches over 10 years. One was relating to a thunderstorm / lighting thing trigger on solenoid on and not shutting off. Next one was a lightning strike taking out the two Rain8Nets.

I also originally went to using my Rain Tipping bucket then going to a digital water sensor (rain) for the irrigation stuff (along with just reading a csv file generated by the weather station).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          I put flow sensors on our main water line and also the line used for irrigation. Then I've set up HS to alert when there's flow when there should be none, or when there's no flow when there should be some. I use the DLJ water meters coupled with a mimolite. Fortrezz now has an integrated option too: http://www.fortrezz.com/flow-meter.

Cheers
          Al
          My understanding is that you would need to add the physical meter as well to the existing meter correct? This means I would need also a plumber. Does anyone know if there is a device that can be attached on the meter to read its values without additional hardware? Here I have two meters one for the water and the one for the sewer and still the bill comes around $600 without watering it too much, this year the grass was completely yellow since I can not afford $1000 for three months. This device will definitely help me to figure out how much water I can use or that I have been using in a month period instead of 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
            My understanding is that you would need to add the physical meter as well to the existing meter correct? This means I would need also a plumber. Does anyone know if there is a device that can be attached on the meter to read its values without additional hardware? Here I have two meters one for the water and the one for the sewer and still the bill comes around $600 without watering it too much, this year the grass was completely yellow since I can not afford $1000 for three months. This device will definitely help me to figure out how much water I can use or that I have been using in a month period instead of 3 months.
            Yes, the DLJ meters are an addition. Should only be about an hour of labor to install. It may be possible to use our existing meter. Post a picture of it and do some googling as there may be info on the net on how to do that.

Cheers
            Al

Comment

No Mike, Rain8Net does not report its status. I can watch it: HS sends a command, but R8N does not light up the zone and relay to the valve. Nevertheless, HS device and log shows the instruction as successful. New question: what device will tell me if a 12 volt circuit is hot? Instead of screwing with the plumbing, I could put that device on the wiring for the first zone and see that it turned on.
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Aren't your valves 24VAC? Simplest would be to hook up a relay meant for that voltage and then use something that can take a dry contact to signal HS. Mimolite is an option, X10 DS10, etc. I went with the flow meter because I had a valve once that got stuck in the open position which flooded part of the back yard and wasted a lot of water. Now I can detect it and also when the valves don't open when they should.

Comment

Hey Al,

Yes to 24V, I wasn't thinking. And thanks for the mimolite suggestion; that's what I was looking for. I've seen references to be mimolite on the board, but never knew what it was; that will work great. Thank you.
                  HS4Pro on Windows 10
                  6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Yes, the DLJ meters are an addition. Should only be about an hour of labor to install. It may be possible to use our existing meter. Post a picture of it and do some googling as there may be info on the net on how to do that.

Cheers
                    Al

This is my meter

Comment

This is my meter

Sorry, I decided to clean them and take a better picture. I have two meters

Comment

Looks like it should be possible. Hold a compass close to it when water is flowing and if the compass needle moves on occasion, then it will work. Take a look here for some ideas: http://www.instructables.com/id/Moni...-reading-muni/. You may be able to use a reed switch which would be simpler.

Cheers
                        Al

PS For your second meter, put a volt meter across the two terminals when water is flowing. You should see a periodic change.

Comment

Looks like it should be possible. Hold a compass close to it when water is flowing and if the compass needle moves on occasion, then it will work. Take a look here for some ideas: http://www.instructables.com/id/Moni...-reading-muni/. You may be able to use a reed switch which would be simpler.

Cheers
                          Al
                          Thanks, I'm trying to figure out what technology they use to read it from outside, then would be perhaps easy to use the same technique?

Comment

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out what technology they use to read it from outside, then would be perhaps easy to use the same technique?
                            That likely will be much harder than just counting the pulses. There is some info on the web about the Sensus protocols, but it's not trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
                              No Mike, Rain8Net does not report its status. I can watch it: HS sends a command, but R8N does not light up the zone and relay to the valve. Nevertheless, HS device and log shows the instruction as successful.
                              My guess is that Blade's plug-in does not check for confirmation. mcsSprinklers confirms that the Rain8Net responds.
                              Attached Files
                              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                              X