re xml files, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re xml files, help

Every time I start HS it shuts down itself. Im running XP and according to the FAQ, my XML support is corrupt. I clicked on the link to download new XML support files but the link is not valid as Microsoft must have changed something.
    Can somebody please tell me what to do, and where to download (XML support)

Have you upgraded to SP2 yet? Maybe the files you need are part of the monster update.

Comment

Yep I have SP2. The HS FAQ gives the link to download the support files but the link seems to be out of date and just leads to a Microsoft site wher I also have searched but can find what im looking for!

Comment

Here's the link to the MDAC 2.8 download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Actually, here is the link to the XML core support for XP:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/XML/XMLDownloads/default.aspx

If this is indeed an issue of your MDAC (the Microsoft database drivers) being corrupt on you XP Pro SP2 system, I'm afraid that there are only two options available to you.

1) Use regedit and the Component Checker to figure out what is corrupt on your system and menaully fix it, or

2) Reinstall Windows XP.

MDAC has never been an easy thing to "fix". Generally, when MDAC becomes corrupt, the solution is to download and install "the next" update to MDAC. Why? Becuase the MDAC install will not re-install/overwrite the same or newer version of itself. The installer tends to do "minimal" checking to verify that currently installed version, and if that version is the same or newer, it will not re-install/repair itself. Microsofts "solution" to this is to use the Componenet Checker's "feature" to totally remove MDAC from your system first, then run the setup. The problem is, I have yet to hear of ANYONE ever successfully running the uninstaller in CC. I've tried many times on many system. M$ even documents that the feature only works on certain systems and setups.

SO, since the XP SP2 installs the latest/greatest MDAC, and the last MDAC update on their download page is that same version, you'll just have to maybe wait until they put out another point release or version update. I've been successful with some of our customers talking them through the Component Checker output and figuring out which .dll or registry entry is currupt and replacing it, but it is a long teadious process to do, especially over the phone or via email.

If the problem is really just the XML DOM (MSXMLDOM) then the XML download should be able to install over the top of itself or a corrupted setup. Knowing very little about what your problem really is I'm not certain which thing is corrupted. MDAC/Jet has the ability to export/import XML data. If this is data that is not tied in with MDAC/Jet, then fixing the XMLDOM which the product may be using is a simpler matter.

Good Luck!

(My company has a couple of products that use MDAC/Jet and also ones that use the MSXMLDOM... And I know what kind of issues these can bring)

Comment

Bryan,
            I've seen this problem reported many times here and most all users problems were fixed with the MDAC 2.8 install. If this hasn't fixed it then the MSXML SP2 has. I have never heard of this problem requiring a rebuilt of the OS.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
            X