Recommendation For Security Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation For Security Panel

Does anyone have a recommendation for a security panel - Gemini versus OmniPro versus JDS Stargate? The Gemini looks like an inexpensive way to go but are the others better as security panels?

The hottest security panel at the moment is the ELK. I would add it to you list as well. It's about as configurable as security systems come. In addition there are at least 2 plugins available for this panel and HomeSeer.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The JDS Stargate is not a security panel. It uses the NetworX/CADDX panel, but they are separate devices that connect with a serial cable. The combination works well.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It really depends on where you live, what features you want, local crime rate, do you want external monitoring, the value of your possessions etc
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?
        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I've had experience with DSC, Napco, and HAI panels, they all have plus' and minus'. For my money the HAI panels are the most stable and configurable of the three i have experience with, however if you're using HS the HAI may be a lot more than you need, with greater cost. I ruled out the Napco, mostly because i think it's a pain to program, personal preference others may disagree of course. At home I installed a DSC, it's been stable and does the job at a reasonable cost and was fairly easy to get going.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I would stick with either the Elk or HAI depending on what you want to do with the panel and what things you want to integrate into your system.
            Martin Custer

Comment

How about the DSC PC 1832?

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
              I've had experience with DSC, Napco, and HAI panels, they all have plus' and minus'. For my money the HAI panels are the most stable and configurable of the three i have experience with, however if you're using HS the HAI may be a lot more than you need, with greater cost. I ruled out the Napco, mostly because i think it's a pain to program, personal preference others may disagree of course. At home I installed a DSC, it's been stable and does the job at a reasonable cost and was fairly easy to get going.
              Hi there,

I'm reading alot of recommendations for ELK but it costs 600 bucks whereas the DSC is only 200. I live in a very safe neighborhood and mainly want the security system to link with my Troller 2 to provide remote access and link it with lighting controls. AV/Media will come later when budget allows. Any thought?

Thank you.

Michael

Comment

well there are a few.... look into the updater and see what plugins are available....
                I went with the concord 4 alarm... more of a .... all my devices will work with it... so was minimal cost to me...

there is a guy that is going to make a plugin for it... some day... some day... and when he does... I will be ready....!!!!!
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by michael.h View Post
                  Hi there,

I'm reading alot of recommendations for ELK but it costs 600 bucks whereas the DSC is only 200. I live in a very safe neighborhood and mainly want the security system to link with my Troller 2 to provide remote access and link it with lighting controls. AV/Media will come later when budget allows. Any thought?

Thank you.

Michael
                  That was the point I was trying to make, the Elk and the HAI units are fine systems, no doubt about it. Safe neighborhood makes little difference, security should be setup properly. The DSC is a very fine panel and will give top flight protection with the proper sensors, meaning, Motions, door and window contacts, sirens, glass breaks, etc. As far as security goes there is no difference between the DSC and the HAI or Elk, they all do a very fine job of monitoring your security devices.

The difference between them is what automation features are built in and the cost, not the level of security they can provide as a security panel. There are 2 DSC plug-ins that I'm aware of, I have no real experience with either. I've just not gotten around to linking my HS to the DSC system. It's on the list but close to the bottom at this point. I have a license for the HS DSC plug-in but I've been waiting a bit before installing it as they were having some troubles with the new IT100 interface. The 3rd party plug-in is I think still available but I've not seen much movement in those threads for quite some time. At any rate the house is protected just fine without that link into HS, doing that will just be icing on the cake, so to speak.
                  Marty
                  ------
                  XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                    That was the point I was trying to make, the Elk and the HAI units are fine systems, no doubt about it. Safe neighborhood makes little difference, security should be setup properly. The DSC is a very fine panel and will give top flight protection with the proper sensors, meaning, Motions, door and window contacts, sirens, glass breaks, etc. As far as security goes there is no difference between the DSC and the HAI or Elk, they all do a very fine job of monitoring your security devices.

The difference between them is what automation features are built in and the cost, not the level of security they can provide as a security panel. There are 2 DSC plug-ins that I'm aware of, I have no real experience with either. I've just not gotten around to linking my HS to the DSC system. It's on the list but close to the bottom at this point. I have a license for the HS DSC plug-in but I've been waiting a bit before installing it as they were having some troubles with the new IT100 interface. The 3rd party plug-in is I think still available but I've not seen much movement in those threads for quite some time. At any rate the house is protected just fine without that link into HS, doing that will just be icing on the cake, so to speak.
                    Hi marty,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know a good (cheap) place to purchase the sensors for the DSC system? Do they have to be made by DSC to work or are there generic brands that work just as well but go for much cheaper? It sounds like eventually, hooking up the DSC to the Home Troller will get easier than it is now. Do you have the Home Troller 2? How do you like it and what do you use it for not to automate if it's not hooked up to your DSC?

Thanks.

Mike

Comment

No, sensors are pretty much sensors. The only difference is wireless devices that I believe need to be at least recognized by the DSC wireless module. Door, window, motion, fire, glass breaks, etc would all work with the DSC or most any other panel. Security devices are pretty similar for the most part.

I don't use the Home Troller, I have HS set up on a PC just for that purpose. HS handles most everything but security, even when I do install the DSC plug-in I do not see allowing HS to handle security, just show me status and maybe trigger a few events depending on it's state.
                      Marty
                      ------

Comment

Working...
                      X