This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB Plugin for HS3 by HomeSeer

Release notes for the UPB plugin by HomeSeer.

UPB is Universal Powerline Bus by Powerline Control Systems. It is a powerline control system similar to X10.

Version 3.0.0.2

* Now available on Linux (only serial PIM's supported, or any PIM that appears as a serial port such as /tty/USB0)
    * Fixed config page not displaying if there was a COM port error

Version 3.0.0.0

* Initial release as BETA
    * Functions the same as the HS2 version, no changes
    * Only tested with with the Simply Automated RS232 PIM, should work with the PCS RS232 PIM also
    * May not work with the Simply Automated USB PIM
    Attached Files
    Last edited by macromark; April 20, 2015, 08:47 AM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Somethimes a little more info would be great.
    Now I have to google for simple automated RS232 pim to find out where the plugin is for.
    Plugin title is HomeSeer UPB isn't saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Source View Post
      Somethimes a little more info would be great.
      Now I have to google for simple automated RS232 pim to find out where the plugin is for.
      Plugin title is HomeSeer UPB isn't saying much.
      It's a HS3 plugin for:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_powerline_bus
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you Rich.

Installation base is LUbuntu 14.04 64 bit. Decided today to up the memory to 16Gb.

Here using a Digi 8 port Edgeport for primary testing. The Edgeport creates 8 USB serial devices. (ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB7 for 8 ports)

Did a copy and past of the UPE text file, enabled ttyUSB0, plugin connected just fine.

Apr-22 4:08:35 PM Info Plugin UPB has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:48306
        Apr-22 4:08:36 PM UPB This is a Beta build of the UPB plug-in. Beta testing is inherently risky because the code is not yet production quality.
        Apr-22 4:08:36 PM UPB DO NOT use this code in a production environment where stability and reliability are important.
        Apr-22 4:08:45 PM UPB Initializing UPB PIM on COM port /dev/ttyUSB0
        Apr-22 4:08:46 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in UPB
        comments...

- I do not see the plugin under the plugins link but see it fine under manage plugins section
        - plugin created links and devices just fine - response time to UPB devices is good.
        Last edited by Pete; April 22, 2015, 04:25 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Rich!

My serial PIM arrived and I have UPB working with HS3. I use HStouch as my interface and I've found two things not working:
          1) HStouch Designer (3.0.30) lets me set a release button action of "Control a homeseer device" and select toggle on/off, but it does not work. Nothng happens and nothing in the HS3 logs either. I can manually set on/off in the HS3 web portal and works fine.
          2) The UPB keypads show up as devices, but HStouch designer has no actions to control the lights.

Since actions show up for other UPB events and "toggle On/Off" works for non-UPB devices I assume these features are not implemented yet. I wanted to confirm if it is a case of features not implemented yet or if a bug I should submit.

Thanks

Comment

As far as I know there will be no more updates to this Homeseer based UPB plugin per HST dialog a few months back.

That said give Spud's UPB plugin a try.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete. I should clarify the toggle did not work in the Windows client I was testing with. When I deployed to the android tablets the toggle works fine. Only issue is the lack of ability to manage UPB keypads. I can address with HAI program if needed. I do a lot of the link/keypad sync with the HAI today, but got lazy and started doing the work in HS instead.

I looked at Spud's plugin 1st, hoping it would work with the USB PIM I has for HS2. Since I had to buy a $80 serial PIM and still waiting for the HAI plugin to support thermostats and buttons ... I'll wait until HS3 has enough features for me to be able to move to it. I'll revisit the HS vs. Spud's plugin then. My brother-in-law swears by it.

Comment

@cowsr4eating,

Well here have been using the Homeseer provided UPB plugin. Not really using it but have left it connected to my Homeseer 3 Pro box running in Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit with a single USB Digi hub and one Digi Edgeport plugged in. Only two devices are plugged in to the Digi Edgeport. One is an SA UPB serial PIM and the other is an X10 CM11A. It has been a while and the devices / links are all there in my HS3 GUI. They work fine.

I have many in wall UPB multiple toggle switches here today. I do not have UPB tabletop keypads to test with.

Been going baby steps with the Homeseer 3 touch stuff. Yesterday upped the number of clients to 6. I did have issues relating to press and release; mostly release so I switched to press.

Figured out maybe it was because I had been adding one by one video cams to the main page and it was overwhelming the client. That really messed up my main page touch response times. Changed all of the CCTV buttons to just JPG stills (no video) going to single display pages with video yesterday. I am also now closing one window (screen) when going to another which I historically never did. Works for me.

This morning created one press UPB toggle button for my office UPB switch. Works just fine here using the Homeseer provided UPB plugin. I have too programmed many multitoggle / dual load switches with links over the last couple of years now. I see the ramp times working fine as mostly my UPB switches ramp times are a few seconds either up or down.

Here in my hodgepodge of multiple UPB pims (and SA/HAI/PCS UPB switches) I do see status on my Homeseer UPB buttons when I use the Leviton HAI OPII panel and vice versa.

My Homeseer 3 touch clients are mostly all embedded XPe running most current version of the Windows client (no Android/iOS), HS3 Designer and HS3 touch server.

Well so I am posting here because I had to give it a try this morning and I have been going baby steps here with the HS3 touchscreens.

I have a tendency here to over do the touchscreens with as much as I can fit on one page. I have done similar today with UPB Upstart links and such which may be low on the WAF (she hasn't said anything yet).

Using a created UPB toggle button on my Wintel HS3 touchscreen works fine with the Homeseer 3 provided UPB plugin.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; August 24, 2015, 08:12 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete. The toggle shows up for the UPB lights and works on the android. For whatever reason did not work in the Windows client (where I usually test my logic), but not an issue since I deploy an Android touchscreens. What does not work and could be an HStouch issue, but I suspect the plugin, is for UPB keypads. I make extensive use of UPB keypads on each nightstand, in-wall where the 2nd 2-way switch initially was, etc. See graphic attached where there is no option to control the keypads. I can work around with logic in the HAI unit, but the original HAI plugin supported the keypads.
                  Attached Files

Comment

See graphic attached where there is no option to control the keypads.
                    Ahhh....yup doesn't make sense that it works with the HS2 UPB plugin and not the HS3 UPB plugin.

So a UPB keypad sends out link commands eh?

Utilize only Wintel XPe embedded clients here for HSTouch. Historically with HS2 I would put too many script reading variable buttons on one screen and that would make the screen almost non reponsive to touch.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

yes, the keypads work off of UPB links. PCS had a nice black keypad with blue LEDs in a compact black tabletop form factor. I put one in every bedroom, two in the master. Push buttons 1-8 to activate/deactivate links. I have the UPB switches turn on/off the links when they are operated to keep the LEDs in sync. The issue is when the HAI unit or HS issues a command directly to a UPB device, I need to send the corresponding link command and/or turn off a keypad directly. HS does not keep up with the link status so I was manipulating the LEDs directly.

I may break down and write events to evaluate the LED state each time a UPB device associated with a link is operated, but with my switch programming, HAI programming, and HS logic me UPB deployment is rock solid and my wife is happy with the stability. Some links have a 1:1 device to link ratio and are simple enough. Some links are tied multiple keypads/UPB devices, and that is where the events get complex.

I was script crazy with HS2, but through reading found several logic tips for HS3 events and except for web API calls to OpenSprinkler have eliminated all of my current HS3 implementation. I have a lot of logic around HAI buttons, HAI thermostats, HAI timers, and ... not sure the HAI term, but use the commands like: hs.plugin("HAI_System").UnitValue("395"). I suspect I can't replace all of those scripts with events, but I'll try once that functionality is supported in the HAI plugin.

Thanks

cowsr4eating

Comment

Yeah here have gone around some with the remote UPB stuff and I like those tabletop controllers. I have not to date purchased one. That said many UPB users use UPB links to automation all sorts of stuff.

While concurrently utilizing Homeseer I have put in much automation code in to the OPII panel such that I am not dependant but utilize Homeseer as an addendum to the OPII panel. I have flip flopped on using Omnitouch Pro software on the tabletops as it works really fast and does provide automation basics.

While the tabletop touch screens are small and dim or are off at night; its not something I want to look at or turn on in the middle of the night. I did turn a few into video telephony devices though playing around with them.

I am really bad at Homeseer touch designs and wife prefers the older Omnitouch 5.7 simple screens over the 5.7e screens.

The DECT phones that pair with the touchscreens would also probably work as remote controls but have very bright cellular like LCD screens.

Regular cellular phones here are shut off in the house and not slept with. (auto forwarded to house lines). Tablets are off when not utilized here too.

While I worked on the cellular phone tethering stuff in the early to mid 2000's quit tethering to myself; if that makes any sense?

Here have utilized the old wireless X-10 keypads to W800 to X10 to OPII panel for some stuff. I tried to do that follow me automation lighting stuff a few years back and it was very low on the WAF.

I do also have the OPII two types of wireless devices on my panels but only utilize a few wireless trinkets goofing around with them. They do work just fine for me these days. (IE: HAI/Leviton 64 Zones Wireless Receiver for Interlogix Transmitters and the little HAI one)

Relating to Homeseer 2 did notice the manual scripting stuff did work fast.

I have not paid attention to the UPB Homeseer 3 / HSTouch link stuff and will give it a go today as I am curious now too about it and it should work with Homeseer 3 touch.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; August 25, 2015, 07:06 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

OK goofing around this morning I do not see any links associated with devices when doing stuff with UPB devices in HSTouch. I can though configure link buttons though just fine.

I never tried this with Spud's UPB plugin. Will give it a go this morning.

I have multiple switches here with multiple toggles programmed for this or for that. When looking at these switches in HS3 I do not see any of the links.

I do see my dual load switches as having a channel one and two. Curious what it is you see in HS2 / HS3 with the GUI per tabletop controller?

What do the keypads look like in Homeseer 2. Here looking at my multiple paddle / dual load switches only see channel 1 and channel 2 on the switches. Links look the same in Homeseer 2.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Pete; August 25, 2015, 08:08 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm guessing here right now that Onan's HS2 UPB plugin was ported over to HS3 by Rich.

That said the scripting/commands to UPB devices should working the same (similiar).
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

The keypads show up in HS2 like they do in HS3. Each button shows up as a device. In the HS2/HS3 webUI you can control them just like a UPB light, except no "blink". Options are on, off, toggle on/off. The issue I have is in HStouch. While the devices show up in HStouch3, the designer does not give me any options for a keypad. The pull-down is blank. I'm not sure if the issue is HStocuh Designer, or the plugin. I have version 3.0.30 of HStouch designer, and version 3.1.0.5 of the HAI plugin.

Like you, I have kept my core UPB automation and augment with HS, primarily for the touch screens, but I have recently added OpenSprinkler to HA only. My wife ONLY uses the HAI touchscreens and why I cannot de-couple my thermostats from the HAI. I use Android touch screens with HStouch, but I am the only one to use. The screens dim after 15 seconds, and turn completely off in 30 seconds. Off as in zero light so I can keep one right next to my bed. With a touch they come back on and will go completely dark in 30 seconds. I love having FULL control of the house at my bedside, but I have the stability of the HAI unit driving my core home automation. I have also integrated all of my Blueiris IPcams with HStouch. I can tell if the gate is closed, garage doors closed, kids are home (cars in driveway), what's going on upstairs, etc. With 13 IPcams around the property and most IR enabled the cams, the live video screens are a core part of many HStouch screens.

I make extensive use of HAI buttons for a lot of my home automation and it makes for simple integration with HStouch. Another reason I cannot go to HS3 yet since the HAI plugin does not control 90% of what I use the HAI for. We'll get there, Rob is making progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X