Partial connectivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jws View Post
    Thank you! I will try manually adding it. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Yes, please let us know.

I'm thinking that your Concord Express is not compatible with the GE AM and that is why it wasn't auto-learned into the panel. I could be wrong and many sites either list CEx v4 will work (if that is what you have) or not compatible with any CEx panel's.

If you find that your CEx panel isn't compatible, you'll have to decide on getting a compatible GE/ITI panel, no AM connectivity or going with a different brand of panel.

-Matt

Comment

So, I've been trying to troubleshoot connectivity issues off and on for the past few months to no avail. I have a Concord 4 system, an automation module, an Edgeport 4 switch, and am attempting to connect to my HS system through the Concord Plugin. The troubleshooting process closely mirrors my efforts, but I don't see if the original poster ever resolved his issue.

I've verified proper connections with 20 gauge wire. I've verified that the AM is listed in the bus device listing in the keypad. However, I get an error message in the keypad stating "Bus Failure AM1".

Within the Concord plugin, I get the status "ComPort is OK. Communications to Panel are DOWN". I can send data to the keypad, but it doesn't seem like information is being sent the other way.

The one troubleshooting step I haven't been able to verify is weather parity is set to odd. The Edgeport configuration utility does not give me the option to set parity.

On the AM itself, the power light is solid and the Superbus LED is flashing. I downloaded the setup guide above, but I think its for an old version. Does anyone have any ideas of the next step to take?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Stain View Post
        So, I've been trying to troubleshoot connectivity issues off and on for the past few months to no avail. I have a Concord 4 system, an automation module, an Edgeport 4 switch, and am attempting to connect to my HS system through the Concord Plugin. The troubleshooting process closely mirrors my efforts, but I don't see if the original poster ever resolved his issue.

I've verified proper connections with 20 gauge wire. I've verified that the AM is listed in the bus device listing in the keypad. However, I get an error message in the keypad stating "Bus Failure AM1".

Within the Concord plugin, I get the status "ComPort is OK. Communications to Panel are DOWN". I can send data to the keypad, but it doesn't seem like information is being sent the other way.

The one troubleshooting step I haven't been able to verify is weather parity is set to odd. The Edgeport configuration utility does not give me the option to set parity.

On the AM itself, the power light is solid and the Superbus LED is flashing. I downloaded the setup guide above, but I think its for an old version. Does anyone have any ideas of the next step to take?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
        The most likely cause for this is your AM isn't connected to the plugin. The LED on the AM sound correct and the message you're getting on the panel is because it's not communicating with the PI. Are you sure Com1 is the correct port? Are there others listed in the drop down?

Z

Comment

OK, without going into how to figure which COM#, I usually just try each of the 4 and once it connects I'm good to go. Yours should look like this and then try each of the 4 Edgeport's COM#.

Matt
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
            The most likely cause for this is your AM isn't connected to the plugin. The LED on the AM sound correct and the message you're getting on the panel is because it's not communicating with the PI. Are you sure Com1 is the correct port? Are there others listed in the drop down?

Z
            So, I've tried each of the ports on the Edgeport (currently port 2) and verified they are assigned to properly in the Concord Configuration tab (Com Port 10), but still no luck. The Edgeport is flashing green, which seems to be an indication of proper function. I've also run a loopback test in the Edgeport software to verify proper function.

I'm using a straight through cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still stumped. I have to be missing something easy.
            Attached Files

Comment

I've found the most reliable serial to USB adaptor chipset is the Prolific PL2303. Have you tried a cable with this chipset. Definitely sounds like the cable is your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                I've found the most reliable serial to USB adaptor chipset is the Prolific PL2303. Have you tried a cable with this chipset. Definitely sounds like the cable is your problem.
                I tried a PL2303 serial to usb cable prior to the edgeport. It didn't work either.

Comment

OK.

Edit: After thinking it seems to be a serial cable issue but you've checked that. I would do a multimtr check on each pin to pin.

There are a few things to check for sanity here.
                  1. The AM is recognized in the panel, correct? It sounds a "beep" every x seconds? Has it assigned an Id in the panel? This can be found by entering programming mode and checking AM for an Id.

2. The cable is bad or not correct. Can you use a MM to check each pin to pin on the cable?

3. The Edgeport is working correctly? Try another port of the 4.

4. AM module wired correctly? Pics could help of wiring with labels.

5. I saw the Edgeport screenshot. Can you show me the Windows System screenshot of the Edgeport.

6. You said you did the Loopback test? Can you explain more about how you did that?

7. Have you changed any setting trying to get this working that would cause communication errors? Like parity, etc...?

Matt
                  Last edited by mattm55; June 8, 2017, 11:08 AM. Reason: Thinking

Comment

Stain could you confirm your AM s/N. My working AM module is

60-783-02 Rev. H

I believe there is a version of this card on the market that only works for a specific alarm company and won't work on an off the shelf Concord 4. I'm sure mattm55 could confirm this. This coupled with a serial2USB cable with the Prolific chipset is what I have installed and working.

After this I would definitely look at your Com port setup. There's a possibility you have a conflict with some other resource trying to grab the same Com port. The nature of a serial bridge setup tends to lend itself to these conflicts.

Also try creating a Com port with a higher Com port number and ensure you correctly configure this in Windows device settings.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 with my AM/Concord 4 setup and sometimes it can be a little trickier to configure if it doesn't connect first time.

Assuming you have the correct hardware and the firmware is up to date the guys here will eventually get you connected.

Comment

60-783-02 Rev. H
                      I believe there is a version of this card on the market that only works for a specific alarm company and won't work on an off the shelf Concord 4. I'm sure mattm55 could confirm this. This coupled with a serial2USB cable with the Prolific chipset is what I have installed and working.
                      Well, no I can't confirm this as I haven't seen a specific AM version that is alarm company dependent. Not to say there isn't but I haven't seen one.

More Info from Protocol Doc :
                      Serial Port LED Behavior

The RS-232 LED will be illuminated during the time an Outbound character from the Automation Module is emitted at the serial port.
                      The RS-232 LED is also illuminated for 125 ms each time an Inbound character from the Automation Device is received on the serial port.
                      Generally speaking, a quickly flickering LED indicates an Outbound message, whereas a longer flickering indicates an Inbound message.

Serial Port Physical Interface

Serial parameters: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, odd parity, 1 stop bit.
                      Serial Port is a RS-232 level, 3-wire Data Communications Equipment (DCE) serial port interface.
                      Use a straight-through cable to connect to a PC's 9-pin serial port.

Matt

Comment

Mattm55 there's a version of the AM module S/N 59.738.03 which looks the same but will not communicate with the panel or the plugin. It may be a module that was produced for ADT or similar company but I cannot verify this.

If Stain could verify what version of the AM module he has you could rule this out. Maybe he has already solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                          OK.

Edit: After thinking it seems to be a serial cable issue but you've checked that. I would do a multimtr check on each pin to pin.

There are a few things to check for sanity here.
                          1. The AM is recognized in the panel, correct? It sounds a "beep" every x seconds? Has it assigned an Id in the panel? This can be found by entering programming mode and checking AM for an Id.

2. The cable is bad or not correct. Can you use a MM to check each pin to pin on the cable?

3. The Edgeport is working correctly? Try another port of the 4.

4. AM module wired correctly? Pics could help of wiring with labels.

5. I saw the Edgeport screenshot. Can you show me the Windows System screenshot of the Edgeport.

6. You said you did the Loopback test? Can you explain more about how you did that?

7. Have you changed any setting trying to get this working that would cause communication errors? Like parity, etc...?

Matt
                          Matt, I really appreciate your help. To answer your questions:

1. The Automation module is recognized in the control panel, and I see the serial number assigned to a slot in the control panel. The panel chirps every morning and night every few seconds until I check the status at which time it says "Bus failure AM1"

2. I tested the serial cable with multimeter, and it seems like its straight through. Pin 1 on the male side is pin 1 on the female side, pin 2 on the male side is pin 2 on the female side, etc.

3. The Edgeport switch seems to be working correctly. The system status light is flashing like in the manual. I've cycled through using all 4 serial ports and changed the com ports on the computer

4. As far as I know the alarm module is wired to the panel correctly. I followed the manual and the guidance in this thread. There were just 4 connections: power, ground, bus A and bus b. I can post pictures shortly.

5. Screenshot of Windows system of Edgeport is attached.

6. The loopback test I was referring to is a digital test built into Edgeport configuration utility. A screenshot of the test is attached. Port 2 failed because the serial cable was plugged in.

7. I have not changed any port configurations. I suspect the issue to be the parity, but I do not know how to change the configuration with the Edgeport utility.

Again, I really appreciate your help
                          Attached Files

Comment

60-783-02 Rev. H

After this I would definitely look at your Com port setup. There's a possibility you have a conflict with some other resource trying to grab the same Com port. The nature of a serial bridge setup tends to lend itself to these conflicts.

Also try creating a Com port with a higher Com port number and ensure you correctly configure this in Windows device settings.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 with my AM/Concord 4 setup and sometimes it can be a little trickier to configure if it doesn't connect first time.

Assuming you have the correct hardware and the firmware is up to date the guys here will eventually get you connected.
                            Concordseer,

Thanks for your help.

The serial number on the automation module is 21912140007128. It doesn't match your naming convention, but that's what the sticker says.

I've tried changing com ports, but will try again.

Thanks again.

Comment

Concordseer,

Thanks for your help.

The serial number on the automation module is 21912140007128. It doesn't match your naming convention, but that's what the sticker says.

I've tried changing com ports, but will try again.

Thanks again.
                              Maybe you need to go back to basics.
                              Set your Edgeport and plugin to:
                              8 data bits, 9600 bps, odd parity, 1 stop bit

If you have access to Hyperterm or Putty on your computer see if you can watch for data coming from the panel, it's sending all the time and you should be able to see the data coming in.

Just for grins, make sure you have 5 vdc from pins 3 -5 on the Edgeport and 5vdc on pins 2 - 5 on the AM module.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                                Maybe you need to go back to basics.
                                Set your Edgeport and plugin to:
                                8 data bits, 9600 bps, odd parity, 1 stop bit

If you have access to Hyperterm or Putty on your computer see if you can watch for data coming from the panel, it's sending all the time and you should be able to see the data coming in.

Just for grins, make sure you have 5 vdc from pins 3 -5 on the Edgeport and 5vdc on pins 2 - 5 on the AM module.

Z
                                So I think that's part of the problem. I don't know how/where to set parity or stop bits. I don't see the options in the Edgeport configuration utility or plugin. I can tell commands are being sent from the plugin to the AM and panel, but nothing is being received.

I'll check voltage on pins.

Comment

Working...
                                X