GoControl WI15VZ-1 Z-Wave Irrigation Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoControl WI15VZ-1 Z-Wave Irrigation Controller

Has anyone have knowledge of or experience working with the GoControl WI15VZ-1 Z-Wave Irrigation Controller?

I am looking for a way to suspend an irrigation event from my HSTouch.

There
    is a Irrigation system enable that puts our 24 volts. Does anyone know if the "PRESSURE SENSOR," "FLOW SENSOR," and/or "MOISTURE SENSOR," takes 24 volts and will suspend operation of the Irrigation Controller if energized? Or do these inputs react to a short or 5 volt TTL logic signals.

Thanks,
    Steve

Here is the manual for this unit. See the section called "Wiring of Optional Third Party Components to Controller". Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks but it has no technical information and as I have not worked before with irrigation devices like pressure, flow, or moisture sensors.

I don't know what their output is in order to provide the correct signal to the WI-5Z.

Also, do they generate a voltage, is it AC or DC? If it is DC does polarity matter? If it is DC which terminal is plus? Some devices send a short?

I would hate to pop the WI-5Z experimenting. I'm an EE and have popped a few chips in my lifetime. You learn to be cautious especially when the are no schematic diagrams.

Thanks...

Comment

As one EE to another I understand. Rain/Moisture looks like open/close. The rest are shown. Somehow this info did not get included so I will paste it here. I also included a different file and I hope it is in this one. Sorry about that.

Wiring of Optional Third Party Components to Controller
        The WI15VZ-1 Controller has provisions for a number of additional components. Each component has two terminal connections. See the figures below for more details. ✓ NOTE: Be sure to run the wires from the terminals, through the cable guide on the lower edge of the controller. Flow Sensor The WI15VZ-1 supports standard 3rd party fl ow sensors. In order for a fl ow detector to work effectively, the Configuration Command is used to configure the sensor.

When connecting the Flow Sensor, connect the RED wire to the Left connector. The BLACK wire is connected to the right (next to the Moisture connectors).

A 3rd party Master Valve/Pump
        can connect directly to the inputs of the Irrigation Controller. If the Master Valve is using a relay to drive a pump, the relay coil needs to be rated for 24VAC at up to 15W. Some systems require a delay time for the pump to pressurize the water. This delay is set as a Configuration Command.

Parameter 12
        4 bytes
        Refer to Flow Sensor Manual
        K Factor Unique to specific flow sensor

Parameter 13
        4 bytes
        Refer to Flow Sensor Manual
        Offset Value: Unique to specific Flow Sensor.

Parameter 2
        2 bytes
        1 to 255 Seconds
        Default=2 seconds

Rain / Moisture Sensors
        If your Z-Wave hub supports Rain / Moisture sensors, these can also be used to control the Irrigation Controller. Settings in the Z-Wave Hub will need to determine whether the rain sensor is closed for rain or no rain. The hub will also have settings for setting what the moisture sensor threshold for ‘wet’ does open or close the switch.
        Attached Files

Comment

My goal is to manually disable or enable the Irrigation Controller using buttons I program on HSTouch. HSTouch has access to the "Irrigation System Enable," ON and off commands.

I see two options:

Wire a 24 volt DC 4PDT relay to the "Irrigation System Enable" connectors and wire my four (4) irrigation valves to it...
          OR
          Put a two wire jumper to either the "PRESSURE SENSOR," "FLOW SENSOR," or "MOISTURE SENSOR," IN terminals, if they accept 24 volts and they would disable the irrigation controller.

The jumper solution if it would work and not damage the unit is the easiest and therefor most desirable.

The relay solution means order parts, mounting and wiring.

A third solution could be a script that would allow me to disable or enable an event. But as I have never written a script it is the least appealing solution at this time.

Thanks again for your help and interest.
          Steve

Comment

Here is a pic of a schedule from last year. The arrow indicates a separate appliance module I have connected to the power transformer of the controller. When it is time to water HS turns it on and waits a few seconds for the controller to initialize and then starts the watering cycle. After watering is complete HS turns off the appliance module which kills power to the controller. I do this so there is no way it can come on unless it is time to water. No glitches.

The watering times as you can see can be set to any time using the Wait command. I have not been able to get "Irrigation System Enable" to do anything. Selecting either one did not seem to do anything. Could be for later use for something else. I have one of the first units that came out so newer might have this working. Don't know.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. My "event" is similar except I turn on twice a day at sunrise and sundown. As we live in the high-desert everyday should work great.

The power on/off of the controller is a workable idea but turning on or off any system can hasten component failure. I'm thinking for now the 4PDT relay may be my best option.

I'm waiting for Homeseer to interface with a z-wave weather station which would offer the ultimate in control for the drip system. Although, the best is my wife/Farmer John who reports to me constantly on her plants.

You will have to excuse me as my wife is taking me on a tour of her garden, including counting the buds on her lemon tree and seeing how many new tomatoes are on the vine (LOL)
              Thanks
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by murrysdad View Post

I'm waiting for Homeseer to interface with a z-wave weather station which would offer the ultimate in control for the drip system. Although, the best is my wife/Farmer John who reports to me constantly on her plants.
                I use the WS-2902 from Ambient Weather. It has 10 sensors. It works very well with the Weather Underground App and the plugin UltraWeatherWU3.

Comment

Last year I got an email answer from GoControl about this device. They stated that Parameter 19 had to be set according it was normally open or normally closed. I decided to not use it at all but rather use local rain accumulation to determine on and off cycles.

You can use Jon00Cumulus if you have your own weather station that downloads to your PC or as most others have your station upload to weather underground, then use the ultraweather plug in to get the data back.

I just emailed GoControl again asking for a parameter listing as they do for their other products. We'll see.

Comment

Where would one find Jon00Cumulus. I have not been able to find his plugins. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                      I use the WS-2902 from Ambient Weather. It has 10 sensors. It works very well with the Weather Underground App and the plugin UltraWeatherWU3.
                      So you got my attention.

My goal is to have the WS-2902 display on my HSTouch. Is that possible?

Do you need both plugins to make it work with HS? Are there any continuing monthly fees involved (I want a system that is self-sufficient)

PS I'm going the relay option to disable the drip zones, if anyone is interested it's $2.65 from China:
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-24V-Coil....c100290.m3507
                      ...s

Comment

Where would one find Jon00Cumulus. I have not been able to find his plugins. thanks
                        http://www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html

His signature is his link

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                          http://www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html

His signature is his link
                          Thanks racerfern. I will check out his site.

Comment

Originally posted by murrysdad View Post
                            So you got my attention.

My goal is to have the WS-2902 display on my HSTouch. Is that possible?

Do you need both plugins to make it work with HS? Are there any continuing monthly fees involved (I want a system that is self-sufficient)

PS I'm going the relay option to disable the drip zones, if anyone is interested it's $2.65 from China:
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-24V-Coil....c100290.m3507
                            ...s
                            I had a WU account and it was easy to set up through the setup manual for the WS-2902. There is a way to select a free account and the instructions are in the station setup. The app displays the outputs from the station once you have it set up.

Maybe someone else can give a more in depth and better explanation of how it all works together. I changed mine to ambient weather. It is like WU3 except it has an html page with all the outputs. Not nearly as sophisticated as the WU3 plugin can give. The WU3 plugin gives you devices in the UI to use in events.

Comment

Working...
                            X