Two wires on a multi wire thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two wires on a multi wire thermostat

OK new to the game here. I bought a zwave thermostat RCS tz45a to connect to a oil furnace which has two wires. My guess is that I just connect the wires across 24C and W1.

Also I have a gas fireplace with a thermostat can I use the cooling side to control it or should I use another thermostat?
    Thanks. Attached is a picture.
    Attached Files

Also I have a gas fireplace with a thermostat can I use the cooling side to control it or should I use another thermostat?

Personally get another thermostat.

Attached are common drawings for a two wire furnace connection.

It is just two wires (or two with a common). Power to the relay and a common.

[ATTACH]59326[/ATTACH]

Most of the documentation relating to your endeavor state it is three wires with the third wire being a common necessary for your new thermostat.

I edited your picture but find it difficult to see the labels still.

[ATTACH]59327[/ATTACH]

From the installation manual of your thermostat.

[ATTACH]59330[/ATTACH]

Is it possible to use a third wire or get a 3rd wire between furnace and thermostat?

If you feel unsure about the wiring / saftey then I would call in a professional HVAC company to wire up the thermostat.
    Last edited by Pete; February 5, 2017, 03:36 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Wow you really researched this for me. No it only has a red and white wire. And both of those are from a transformer to red and yellow wires on the specific floor controller. So I suppose the connections I need to make are white in W1 and red in RH. There is a green wire on both ends that isn't connected on either end. What would I connect that one too on either side?

Comment

You need a common wire which would be the third wire. Don't think of the colors; rather look at the function.

Been playing with thermostats since first home in the 1970's.

The design of a thermostat is the same as it was 50 years ago; as your fuse panel.
        Last edited by Pete; February 11, 2017, 02:45 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X