ESP8266 - Proof of Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Finally got my board to connect and this looks like it could be a great addition to the plugin. I plan to add this as soon as I can but it will not be quick as there is a lot of work involved to change the plugin to support multiple board types. I need to look in to this further but just to tell you all that this is next on the list.

I have a beta under testing by a used that has output Blink and Toggle so this will be in the next release.
    subscribe to This Thread to get updates.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
      Hi all,

Finally got my board to connect and this looks like it could be a great addition to the plugin. I plan to add this as soon as I can but it will not be quick as there is a lot of work involved to change the plugin to support multiple board types. I need to look in to this further but just to tell you all that this is next on the list.

I have a beta under testing by a used that has output Blink and Toggle so this will be in the next release.
      subscribe to This Thread to get updates.

Greig.

Hi Greig,

Definitely good to hear that you will include support in the plugin for this boards. Looking forward to it. I am using 6 of them them now for various sensors. The wireless aspect has huge benefits for environmental sensory applications. I am getting to a roadblock though. Any idea if there is a possibility of expanding the maximum number of devices from 9 to a higher number?

BTW I can't praise you enough for the Arduino plugin. Keep up the good work!!!!

Mark

Comment

Just wanted to give some feedback on my attempts go get a ESP8266-01 connected to Homeseer with the Arduino Plug-in.

It took me a couple of days to figure it out but I've finally managed to have an LED attached to GPIO2 of the ESP8826-01 board to turn ON and OFF with Homeseer.

I'm using this resources:
        - Arduino Plugin created by Greig DempsterEnigmatheatre). V1.0.0.131, Beta
        - Arduino IDE 1.8.1
        - The changed sketch posted on the beguinning of this post with the version changed to 1.0.0.127
        - I installed the ESP8826 board into the Arduino IDE using this link: http://arduino.esp8266.com/staging/p...com_index.json

However, I can't make the GPIO pin work as a PWM, nor use the BLINK or the ONE FLASH.

It is imperative to change the version on the sketch.

Also, the LiquidCristal library had to be downgraded to a previous version.

If anyone want more info about what I had to do to make it work just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by luisr320 View Post
          Just wanted to give some feedback on my attempts go get a ESP8266-01 connected to Homeseer with the Arduino Plug-in.

It took me a couple of days to figure it out but I've finally managed to have an LED attached to GPIO2 of the ESP8826-01 board to turn ON and OFF with Homeseer.

I'm using this resources:
          - Arduino Plugin created by Greig DempsterEnigmatheatre). V1.0.0.131, Beta
          - Arduino IDE 1.8.1
          - The changed sketch posted on the beguinning of this post with the version changed to 1.0.0.127
          - I installed the ESP8826 board into the Arduino IDE using this link: http://arduino.esp8266.com/staging/p...com_index.json

However, I can't make the GPIO pin work as a PWM, nor use the BLINK or the ONE FLASH.

It is imperative to change the version on the sketch.

Also, the LiquidCristal library had to be downgraded to a previous version.

If anyone want more info about what I had to do to make it work just let me know.
          Please drop me an email about this. I have a version for you to test that supports the Nodemcu boards. It has I/O and LCD working.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
          Last edited by enigmatheatre; February 12, 2017, 04:33 PM.
          Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
          Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
          Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
          Scripts =
          Various

Comment

Reading Smart meter p1 with esp8266

Hi, after reading amongst others this topic about esp8266 I became enthusiast and ordered some parts to get things going (arriving soon I hope).
            One of the things I would like to try, is reading my smart meters p1 port. That might be achieved in a way like they did with these solutions?:

https://hermanbanken.nl/2016/06/24/ener ... h-esp8266/
            http://www.esp8266thingies.nl/wp/

The major advantage for will be how to get the "remote" data into Hs3 on my RPi2,
            preferably using the P1 Smart Meter Plugin (linux) ? The Plug-in reads the data from a selected com port, which can be set in the config.

How would one achieve this best? Anyone using this combination already and willing to share? Any other solutions which can work as well?
            I have seen some posts somewhere mentioning using virtual com ports . But I have no idea how to achieve that with a esp8266 (or an arduino)?
            The samples I found are using Domotics as there controller. So it should be possible using Hs3?

Your advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Wiechert

Comment

I am completely new to Arduino, but this things does everything I have been trying to do with home automation and then some. I read the plugin beta manual and it appears the ethernet shield is the currently supported IP solution, but the ESP8266 can be manually configured into the sketch.

This last post by Greig implies the plugin may very soon support ESP8266. Should I buy an ethernet shield or is the ESP8266 support imminent? Or hopefully I misunderstood and it is already supported.

I will be running most of my Arduino units at remote sites on the property for latching water valves, temperature, and water level monitoring so USB/serial connectivity is not viable.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Guy

Comment

If you read my post above, you will be able to see that it is already possible to use these ESP8266 modules to control devices like those you mention. However, the plugin will need some refinement in order to allow an easier way to do it. And at present time this plugin is limited to 9 boards. Of course you can have multiple devices per board but if the devices are far apart you will need an individual board per divice. I'm sure that limitation may be expanded in the future also.
                So, to answer your question, I'd go for the cheap ESP8826 boards, because they are working with the plugin.

Comment

If you read my post above, you will be able to see that it is already possible to use these ESP8266 modules to control devices like those you mention. However, the plugin will need some refinement in order to allow an easier way to do it. And at present time this plugin is limited to 9 boards. Of course you can have multiple devices per board but if the devices are far apart you will need an individual board per divice. I'm sure that limitation may be expanded in the future also.
                  So, to answer your question, I'd go for the cheap ESP8826 boards, because they are working with the plugin.
                  Yes I do have them working in the plugin and they are under test by a user. I have also fixed the 9 board limit and in the next build it will need 30 boards.
                  As I said if you want to test this then drip me an email and I will send you the build when I get a moment.

Greig.

Last edited by enigmatheatre; February 15, 2017, 02:58 PM.
                  Scripts =
                  Various

Comment

Hello Greig. I did sent you an email as you requested.

Comment

Hello Greig. I did sent you an email as you requested.
                      Sorry I just found it in my junk folder. I will see if I can get this build sorted and sent to you in the next day or two.

All the items you have asked for in the email are part of this build.

Greig.
                      Scripts =
                      Various

Comment

Any thoughts on this? Thanks,

Wiechert

Originally posted by nl_user View Post
                        Hi, after reading amongst others this topic about esp8266 I became enthusiast and ordered some parts to get things going (arriving soon I hope).
                        One of the things I would like to try, is reading my smart meters p1 port. That might be achieved in a way like they did with these solutions?:

https://hermanbanken.nl/2016/06/24/ener ... h-esp8266/
                        http://www.esp8266thingies.nl/wp/

The major advantage for will be how to get the "remote" data into Hs3 on my RPi2,
                        preferably using the P1 Smart Meter Plugin (linux) ? The Plug-in reads the data from a selected com port, which can be set in the config.

How would one achieve this best? Anyone using this combination already and willing to share? Any other solutions which can work as well?
                        I have seen some posts somewhere mentioning using virtual com ports . But I have no idea how to achieve that with a esp8266 (or an arduino)?
                        The samples I found are using Domotics as there controller. So it should be possible using Hs3?

Your advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Wiechert

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                          Yes I do have them working in the plugin and they are under test by a user. I have also fixed the 9 board limit and in the next build it will need 30 boards.
                          As I said if you want to test this then drip me an email and I will send you the build when I get a moment.

Greig.

Greig.

Greig would it be possible to get a copy of this. I have 3 Nodemcu's I would like to start using with HomeSeer.

Thanks

Love your program currently using it with an Arduino Mega and it works great on that.

Comment

Originally posted by nl_user View Post
                            Any thoughts on this? Thanks,

Wiechert
                            I guess you could do it but you will need to wait until I update the API to work on the esp8266 boards.

Greig.
                            Scripts =
                            Various

Comment

@Luisr320

I downloaded the HomeseerBoard1 sketch, added the ESP8266 sketch you linked, and wired the ESP8266 to my UNOr3 as per the attached.
                              I have the ESP connected to an external 3.3v power supply, with a common ground between the UNO and the ESP.

I changed the IP, gateway, netmask and MAC int he sketch. Also changed version of sketch.

In the serial monitor I can communicate with the ESP and even used AT commands to connected to my AP, set IP, and can ping from my PC.

The sketch compiles, but when I try to upload to my UNO I get a series of error messages:
                              avrdude: stk500_getsybc() attempt 1 of 19: not in sync: resp=0x30

Then alternates between resp 0x20 and 0x30.

Googling the problem looks like a device connected to the UNO pin 0 and 1 can cause this problem. I disconnect from pins 0 and 1 on the UNO, but now has programmer not responding errors.

I suspect the new plugin with wifi support will address, but hoping the pin 0, and pin 1 wiring might be the issue and you would have a tip to get around.

Thanks,

Guy
                              Attached Files

Comment

I removed all connections to the UNO and the sketch did upload. Not sure why the connection to UNO reset and GND, but I had to disconnect it as well to upload.

Comment

Working...
                                X