Remote load linux Z-Wave plugin on Windows HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote load linux Z-Wave plugin on Windows HS

I am using HS on linux at a remote property to manage a Schlage lock, automate an outdoor light and monitor temp/humidity. I have a always on internet connection there.

I figured I could probably remote load the Z-Wave plugin and have it connect to my main HS system instead of running two HS box.

On my linux HS I run:
    Code:
    mono HSPI_ZWave.exe server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Connecting to server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
    Connected, waiting to be initialized...
    I get the following on my Windows server:

Code:
    August-25 14:08:38           Info     Plugin Z-Wave with instance: has disconnected
    August-25 14:08:35           Z-Wave     Database: Opening (Mode=Read Only) up HomeSeer database /root/HomeSeer/Data/Z-Wave/Z-Wave.db
    August-25 14:08:34           Error     Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error, wrong OS type
    August-25 14:08:34           Z-Wave     This plug-in is formatted for Linux and will not run on this OS, exiting
    August-25 14:08:34           Z-Wave     InitIO called, plug-in version 3.0.0.168 is being initialized...
    August-25 14:08:34           Info     Plugin Z-Wave has connected. IP:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:48424
    Is there a way to make this work or do I absolutly need a Windows HS box to remote load to another HS box?

Could the windows HSPI_ZWave.exe be run with mono?

I find it a bit intense to run a full Windows computer only to run the Z-Wave plugin.

Math

Originally posted by mathd View Post
    I am using HS on linux at a remote property to manage a Schlage lock, automate an outdoor light and monitor temp/humidity. I have a always on internet connection there.

I figured I could probably remote load the Z-Wave plugin and have it connect to my main HS system instead of running two HS box.

On my linux HS I run:
    Code:
    mono HSPI_ZWave.exe server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Connecting to server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
    Connected, waiting to be initialized...
    I get the following on my Windows server:

Code:
    August-25 14:08:38           Info     Plugin Z-Wave with instance: has disconnected
    August-25 14:08:35           Z-Wave     Database: Opening (Mode=Read Only) up HomeSeer database /root/HomeSeer/Data/Z-Wave/Z-Wave.db
    August-25 14:08:34           Error     Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error, wrong OS type
    August-25 14:08:34           Z-Wave     This plug-in is formatted for Linux and will not run on this OS, exiting
    August-25 14:08:34           Z-Wave     InitIO called, plug-in version 3.0.0.168 is being initialized...
    August-25 14:08:34           Info     Plugin Z-Wave has connected. IP:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:48424
    Is there a way to make this work or do I absolutly need a Windows HS box to remote load to another HS box?

Could the windows HSPI_ZWave.exe be run with mono?

I find it a bit intense to run a full Windows computer only to run the Z-Wave plugin.

Math
    Did you ever get a response or get it to work? I'm trying to do the same - want to run a Raspberry Pi with a Z-stick in the garage. I'm trying right now to get the Z-stick plugged into an old XP machine to work. Have some success, but have put in a bug with a comm port problem.

Barry

Comment

No I never heard back from anyone. I no longer have a requirement for this but it would be very nice to use Raspberry PI in remote location to remote load Z-Wave.

Comment

Cant get it to work with 2 win 8.1 PC:s either. Some .db issues?
        HS is .149 and Z-wave is .187 on both machines.
        I also tried to rename Z-wave2.db but no go.

This is the .bat file I run on the remote pc (HS not running), That part seems to work as it connects.
        chdir C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\
        HSPI_ZWave.exe server=192.168.1.88
        Last edited by lunkan; January 6, 2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I've given up for now. Don't think HST will be addressing this until the new "Z-net" is out and working. Springtime?

Barry

Comment

I have figured out how to make a Windows HomeSeer instance connect with a Zee-S2 Z-Wave controller.

1. Install ser2net on Zee-S2.

sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install ser2net

2. Edit /etc/ser2net.conf to include the following (you will need sudo privledges "sudo -H vi ser2net.conf"):

2001:raw:0:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS

Apparently, no other interfaces should be defined. I included only this one.

3. Turn off the Z-Wave plugin on the Zee-S2 and restart.

4. Connect to the interface from the Windows Z-Wave plugin using the Ethernet Interface, the IP address of your Zee-S2 and port 2001.

That's it. Or at least it's working for me. I have had one instance where the interface disconnected (I could see it in the log), but the interface automatically reconnected itself within a minute or two.

The Zee-S2 will continue working as a normal HomeSeer controller, but without the Z-Wave interface available.
            Last edited by warrenmr; December 21, 2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Good news Mark!

Here have done it a bit differently where as I am running the Z-Wave Plugin on a RPi2 (with a GPIO Z-Wave card and PiFace RTC Shim and 1-wire USB connected network) and remote connecting it to the mothership.

I have tested similarly with the UPB and X10 plugin. I am now making it work a bit more using a small 1-wire network on same device to measure attic temperatures and humidity levels as the RPi2/ZWave device is in the attic POE connected to the network.

That said (for me) the RPi2 Linux Z-Wave plugin only works Linux to Linux, not Linux to Windows here which tells me that the Linux Z-Wave plugin is different than the Windows Z-Wave plugin (guesstimate based on my testing).

I am not sure though if doing it this way offsets the Z-Wave work to the RPi2 or not. A network disconnect just disables the plugin.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Good news Mark!

Here have done it a bit differently where as I am running the Z-Wave Plugin on a RPi2 (with a GPIO Z-Wave card and PiFace RTC Shim and 1-wire USB connected network) and remote connecting it to the mothership.

I have tested similarly with the UPB and X10 plugin. I am now making it work a bit more using a small 1-wire network on same device to measure attic temperatures and humidity levels as the RPi2/ZWave device is in the attic POE connected to the network.

That said (for me) the RPi2 Linux Z-Wave plugin only works Linux to Linux, not Linux to Windows here which tells me that the Linux Z-Wave plugin is different than the Windows Z-Wave plugin (guesstimate based on my testing).

I am not sure though if doing it this way offsets the Z-Wave work to the RPi2 or not. A network disconnect just disables the plugin.
                Yes, I think you can use the standard Z-Wave plugin remote capability to connect Linux-to-Linux or Windows-to-Windows, but not Windows-to-Linux, which is what I needed to do.

Glad you have it working for you as well!

Comment

Yes here from the beginning of using Linux from Homeseer have been testing the plugins that I want to use in Linux.

The remote plugin feature was first mentioned with the introduction of HS3; such that I tested the plugins that I wanted to use this way too.

There isn't much to making the plugins work in both Linux and Windows.

IE: tested Spuds Alexa and Kinect plugin running on Windows 7 & Windows 10 to work remotely on the Ubuntu box Homeseer. Spuds UPB plugin works fine in Linux and Windows. Rob's OmniPro 2 plugin works fine in both Linux and Windows and uses Mysql (a +++ here).

Note that I am not knocking Wintel as I continue to use it. I just like the flexibility of using Homeseer in Linux.

This is just what I personally do before purchasing a plugin these days. That is me.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by warrenmr View Post
                    I have figured out how to make a Windows HomeSeer instance connect with a Zee-S2 Z-Wave controller.

1. Install ser2net on Zee-S2.

sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get install ser2net

2. Edit /etc/ser2net.conf to include the following (you will need sudo privledges "sudo -H vi ser2net.conf"):

2001:raw:0:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS

Apparently, no other interfaces should be defined. I included only this one.

3. Turn off the Z-Wave plugin on the Zee-S2 and restart.

4. Connect to the interface from the Windows Z-Wave plugin using the Ethernet Interface, the IP address of your Zee-S2 and port 2001.

That's it. Or at least it's working for me. I have had one instance where the interface disconnected (I could see it in the log), but the interface automatically reconnected itself within a minute or two.

The Zee-S2 will continue working as a normal HomeSeer controller, but without the Z-Wave interface available.
                    Hi Mark, I am just about to start an attempt to use my RPI3 with a UZB stick in order to create a remote Z-Wave interface. I am running HS3-PRO on Windows 7 Professional, and hence I cannot use the remote-plugin feature.
                    Did you start on your RPI with installing the Homeseer Raspberry image (hs3pi3boot.zip)?
                    Or do you think it might even be possible to start off with the standard Raspbian, and only install the ser2net daemon?

BTW: I am adding a battery powered UPS (http://www.pimodules.com/_pdf/_pico/..._FSSD_V1.0.pdf) to my raspberry pi3, so that I can even carry it around (using WiFi) to include nodes that do not support NWI yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X