Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I queue a Z-wave command or send on device wake-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I queue a Z-wave command or send on device wake-up?

I've spent the last 4 hours trying to solve this to no avail. Let me explain what I'm trying to do in case there is a different way to do it.

I am trying to remotely debug an issue with a battery operated Z-Wave device, which I believe to be a configuration issue (addressable through Z-Wave configuration). Ideally I want to know what the current settings are so that I can confirm my suspicions, but a backup plan is just to set the configuration the way that I want and then monitor to see that the issue is resolved.

The problems that I'm running into are the following:

1) I can't get the configuration values programmatically as the device is not listening (and therefore fails) and I can't figure out how to queue the Configuration_Get command in the Z-Wave plugin.

2) I can't set the configuration value through the device's Z-Wave information since it isn't listening and therefore I can't set a configuration parameter to be queued for when the device wakes up. (I suspect I also could not set it through a script for the same reason of not being able to be queued).

3) There seems to be no way to create an event that is triggered on a device waking up to be able to script interaction with the device while it is awake (to get or set the configuration).

Any thoughts on how to get (or set) the config while the device is not listening and have it queue? Or, alternately, how to create an event on when the device wakes up to get/set the config?

Thanks,
    Chris

PS. In case anyone wants more information, I'm using a Zipato (Philio) Multisensor Quad that was used in a previously deployment. It will keep certain configuration values between networks and is behaving strangely, so I want to verify a particular setting prior to sending what I believe is the correct configuration.

If you create and run an event to set the parameters, those should queue and be sent when the device wakes up. I would run the event every few hours as the wake-up queue will only hold so much for each device AFAIK. The log should show when it wakes up and if the parameter change was successful if you enable "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" on the z-wave plugin's Controller Management page. I don't believe there's any way to retrieve the parameter value unless the device is awake while doing that.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      If you create and run an event to set the parameters, those should queue and be sent when the device wakes up. I would run the event every few hours as the wake-up queue will only hold so much for each device AFAIK. The log should show when it wakes up and if the parameter change was successful if you enable "Log Poll and Wake-Up Messages" on the z-wave plugin's Controller Management page. I don't believe there's any way to retrieve the parameter value unless the device is awake while doing that.

Cheers
      Al
      Thanks Al. Yep, I noticed that would work after I submitted the question. Was still hoping for a way to get an event trigger on the wake up to verify the existing settings (either through the wake up or through a log message for the wake up). I will be back onsite tomorrow morning, so will try to wake it up and get the settings, then configure it properly and retry.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
      Chris

Comment

Battery devices are not listed in the dropdown for "Set a Configuration Parameter Value" under ZWave Actions, so there is no way to queue. If you're into scripting there might be a way through the Device Control API. If so then to run a script when a battery node wakes up use something like Ultralog3 plugin to monitor your log and trigger an event which runs your script.

Comment

Originally posted by naellis View Post
          Battery devices are not listed in the dropdown for "Set a Configuration Parameter Value" under ZWave Actions, so there is no way to queue. If you're into scripting there might be a way through the Device Control API. If so then to run a script when a battery node wakes up use something like Ultralog3 plugin to monitor your log and trigger an event which runs your script.

My battery powered devices are listed.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

My battery powered devices are listed.
            Oh really !.....I have a range of different battery nodes but none are listed. Is there a 'special setting' somewhere I've missed ?

Comment

Oh really !.....I have a range of different battery nodes but none are listed. Is there a 'special setting' somewhere I've missed ?
              All Z-Wave configuration settings are sent to the root node for the device. You have to find the battery device's root in the list and select it to send the configuration value to.

You can only set the configuration parameters and not the wake up time or the associations through the Event mechanism that you describe above. For those, you will have to do it through the regular device's Z-Wave page.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by PtHomeAutomation View Post
                All Z-Wave configuration settings are sent to the root node for the device. You have to find the battery device's root in the list and select it to send the configuration value to.

You can only set the configuration parameters and not the wake up time or the associations through the Event mechanism that you describe above. For those, you will have to do it through the regular device's Z-Wave page.

Chris
                I know that....the point is there are no battery node root devices listed - any thoughts. I'm using Zwave plugin version 3.0.1.87 and HS3.0.0.300.

Comment

What is the device that the battery is in?

If the battery is itself a root node, then it must support the CONFIGURATION capability from the device otherwise there is nothing to set. Look at the Plug-Ins->ZWave->Node information page to see what node the battery is and confirm the capability set.

Chris

Comment

I don't recall doing anything special in my setup. As far as I can tell, all my battery powered devices that support the Config command class are listed. If you look at the nodes on the Node Information page under the z-wave plugin (/ZWaveWho), do they show as supporting the Configuration command class? If not, try rescanning them. I'm on .102 of the z-wave plugin, but they've been visible as long as that event option to set the config parameters has been there.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

I don't recall doing anything special in my setup. As far as I can tell, all my battery powered devices that support the Config command class are listed. If you look at the nodes on the Node Information page under the z-wave plugin (/ZWaveWho), do they show as supporting the Configuration command class? If not, try rescanning them. I'm on .102 of the z-wave plugin, but they've been visible as long as that event option to set the config parameters has been there.

Cheers
                      Al
                      Ok that's good to learn. These appear to have the Configuration capability but are also some of my oldest nodes which may or not be the issue. None of this is really an issue for me but at least I know what to check now - thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cheers
                        Al
                        Hi,

question about an "old" topice, but what was stated here, does (no longer) seem to work in HS3, correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by vinisz View Post

Hi,

question about an "old" topice, but what was stated here, does (no longer) seem to work in HS3, correct ?
                          AFAIK it should still work. If it does not, send an email to support@homeseer.com and ask them to confirm if the config commands are being queued.

Comment

Cheers
                            Al
                            This seems not to be true in Z-Wave 4.1.2.1
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	1642692
                            It appears the parameter is not being queued. It is sent immediately and fails.

The device is useless to me unless I can set parameter 40 with an event.

I'm trying to trigger outdoor lighting based upon luminance, and the luminance values I'm interested in are probably below 10 lux. I won't know for sure until I can actually track luminance in this range.

This Fibaro sensor should be able to do it, but there's a serious flaw in how it reports.
                            It defaults to report changes > 200 lux. That's great when lux > 1000. Any smaller increment in this range would report constantly.
                            But as the lux gets lower, smaller changes need to be reported. It's almost logarithmic.

I have my event setup as follows (I have a virtual device to track attempted parameter setting value):

WHEN lux changes value:
                            If lux < 21 AND Parameter40 <> 2 set the parameter 40 to 2. ' Very small changes in lux at this low level are significant! They're also less frequent.
                            If lux > 20 AND lux < 51 AND Parameter40 <> 5 set parameter 40 to 5.
                            If lux > 50 AND lux < 101 AND Parameter40 <> 10 set parameter 40 to 10.
                            If lux > 100 AND lux < 201 AND Parameter40 <> 20 set parameter 40 to 20.
                            If lux > 200 AND lux < 501 AND Parameter40 <> 50 set parameter 40 to 50.
                            If lux > 500 AND lux < 1001 AND Parameter40 <> 100 set parameter 40 to 100.
                            If lux > 1000 AND Parameter40 <> 200 set parameter 40 to 200.

I figured since I'm triggering on when the device value changes, that it would be awake to accept commands, but it reports and goes instantly to sleep.

I can't just set it for 2 lux all the time. The battery would be dead in a day!
                            And at a sensitivity of 200 lux, the luminance levels I'm interested in would not be detected often enough. It's basically acting as a boolean Light/No-Light at a 200 lux interval.

I sent an email to support asking them to confirm the expected behavior for parameter setting non-listening devices.

UPDATE:
                            I decided to solve this a different way.
                            I manually changed parameter 40 to 500 and left it that way. (only report lux changes > 500)
                            I manually changed parameter 42 to 600 and left it that way. (report every 10 minutes regardless of change)
                            As far as I can tell, there's no way to use an event to update the parameter of a non-listening device.

I found that during the bright part of the day, lux changes > 200 are far too frequent, sometimes every second! And in a range I don't even care about. That's why I upped the threshold to 500.
                            Parameter 42 sets the reporting frequency. It defaults to 3600 = 1 hour.
                            By changing it to 600, I've reduced that timing to 10 minutes, and that is often enough for my needs. It reports every 10 minutes whether or not there was any change. That allows me to capture the small magnitude values I need to work with for triggering my event.

Comment

Working...
                            X