Aeotec Gen 5 Multi-Sensor Hands On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeotec Gen 5 Multi-Sensor Hands On

I just got 2 hoping they would be a little less finicky then the older ones. Everything is the same as the older version other than the box is a little different. I set them up as I have with the older ones; plug em in roughly where they're gonna go, take the z-stick and include then import them on hs3. Only there was a issue on the first import once it hit the relative humidity part it flipped an error. So I did the usual rescan about 15 times an can't get it to come up so I decide to just to remove it an redo it. This time it pops up and error right off the bat importing it and on the home page just shows up as a single binary sensor. So another 15 rescans and it finally shows all the sub sensors. Then changing the settings the only available options is the wake up timing. So first ones working good now attempting the second one and same thing happens only on this one the luminance is the hang up and I cant get it to show up even after removing and including over, any ideas? Also I got fed up with their mount and 3d printed a corner mount for both the flat and ball mounts, so if anyone else has a 3d printer and wants the models let me know and I'll throw them up on thingiverse.

Did you try leaving your Z-Wave interface plugged into the PC and add the node using the add node function within the Z-Wave settings? This nearly always works better for any sensor that takes a bit of time to add such as multisensors , thermostats, and locks?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've also got 2 of the Gen5 multi-sensors, albeit European versions.

The fact that you say to took the Z-Stick to the device would suggest that you are using an older Aeon controller. I'm not sure what sort of Z-Wave network you have in terms of number of nodes and Z-Wave SDK versions but if you have a good proportion of version 4.5x (remember version 5.x came before 4.5x) or later then you would benefit from upgrading to a Gen5 controller.

I'm surprised you even got it to add without leaving the controller connected to HS and bringing the sensor to the controller. I'm running a Gen5 controller, all nodes are 4.5x or later and I had issues getting these sensors to add even with them located 6 inches from the controller.

The main issue was getting the sensor to stay awake long enough for Homeseer to get it added. The manual I have says that pressing the button for 3 seconds will wake the device for 10 minutes, however this was not the case here. Getting the device to stay awake was a real random affair of multiple button presses etc but eventually they did add OK.

I also don't see the configuration parameters brought out into the UI but you can change them using the parameter options at the bottom of the settings tab.

I trust you are using the latest Z-Wave beta plug-in.

I've had the multi-sensors installed about 2 weeks now and aside from the inclusion issues they appear to be working well.

Paul..

Comment

Adding to Z-NET

I have been trying one. SDK 6.51.1. Replacing a distant older version located the furthest outside, powered by USB power adapter. If I Added it at the Z-NET , everything added and worked fine until I relocated it. I lost connectivity and could not optimize. I defined the route but ended up with duplicate child devices, most not reporting.

I removed it and re-added by taking the Z-net to the final location using a powerline adapter wired Ethernet connection, no wifi there. Then returned the Z-net to home location and defined an appropriate route before optimizing. I get no setting controls except the tme delay which will accept 12 minutes, everything else takes it back to zero. There are no other settings to adjust under the Zwave tab.

I have the motion sensor part functioning at 12 minutes, but nothing else. If I rescan I just get duplicated, non-functioning child devices.

Sine motion is all I really need at this location, I stopped messing with it.

But I also have not continued my plan to replace anymore outdoor aeon sensors with the Gen5 version.

Comment

Originally posted by kasek View Post
          ...Also I got fed up with their mount and 3d printed a corner mount for both the flat and ball mounts, so if anyone else has a 3d printer and wants the models let me know and I'll throw them up on thingiverse.
          Yes please

Comment

I have one of the Gen 5 Aeon Multisensors which has been working well for me, so far. I have a Gen 5 UZB1 stick and the multisensor included first time with all the child nodes and no errors, as far as I remember. Mine is on USB power and happens to be only a few metres away from the UZB1 so a direct route which may have helped.
            I configured mine by setting the individual parameters which are all listed in the manual. I daresay HS will add the configuration options for this device at some point which will make it simpler to set up.
            Mine has 6 child nodes, 5 are as with the old Aeon Multisensor, and one which is 'security', I'm not quite sure what that one is for.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
              I've also got 2 of the Gen5 multi-sensors, albeit European versions.

The fact that you say to took the Z-Stick to the device would suggest that you are using an older Aeon controller. I'm not sure what sort of Z-Wave network you have in terms of number of nodes and Z-Wave SDK versions but if you have a good proportion of version 4.5x (remember version 5.x came before 4.5x) or later then you would benefit from upgrading to a Gen5 controller.

I'm surprised you even got it to add without leaving the controller connected to HS and bringing the sensor to the controller. I'm running a Gen5 controller, all nodes are 4.5x or later and I had issues getting these sensors to add even with them located 6 inches from the controller.

The main issue was getting the sensor to stay awake long enough for Homeseer to get it added. The manual I have says that pressing the button for 3 seconds will wake the device for 10 minutes, however this was not the case here. Getting the device to stay awake was a real random affair of multiple button presses etc but eventually they did add OK.

I also don't see the configuration parameters brought out into the UI but you can change them using the parameter options at the bottom of the settings tab.

I trust you are using the latest Z-Wave beta plug-in.

I've had the multi-sensors installed about 2 weeks now and aside from the inclusion issues they appear to be working well.

Paul..
              My networks consists of a few older multi-sensors(bat) a couple new fibaro door sensors(bat) and a dozen or so smart switches running on a older umpc with the zstick s2. I setup them up this way because I always would have issues with them after I would include them and move them I couldn't gen them to reconnect. Everything so far is working great other than the one is still missing the luminance and they continually show motion but update to when the motion was triggered. The old ones used to allow motion reset setting but these don't for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by kasek View Post
                Everything so far is working great other than the one is still missing the luminance and they continually show motion but update to when the motion was triggered. The old ones used to allow motion reset setting but these don't for some reason.
                When you say they 'continually show motion', mine has 2 child devices which have 'Motion' as one of their status's. One of them is constantly at 'Motion' and the other changes to 'Motion' and 'No Motion' as you would expect it to. I can't remember what the default names of the child devices are because I have renamed them. However, the one I call 'Security', which stays constantly on motion, has status values from 0 to 8 with status's such as 'Glass Breakage' as well as 'Motion'. This child is probably to do with some kind of security scheme. The other child only has 0 and 255 status values and switches between No Motion and Motion. Are you not seeing this?

The node has 6 child devices in total.

Mine works exactly as the older Aeon multisensors apart from having the additional security child and having to configure the settings using parameter numbers.

Steve

Comment

As Steve reported mine operate exactly the same as the old version except for the extra device which is named "Home Security" by default.

From what I can establish this extra device is designed to be used in an alarm system. If you set the device manually to 0 (No Event) then the next time motion is detected it will return to "Motion" status and stay there until you manually reset it again.

I imagine that if you were using the multi-sensor as part of an alarm system then when the system is armed you would set it to No Event as part of the arming procedure.

A bit pointless IMO because your alarm software / plug-in could take care of holding info on which sensor(s) caused the alarm condition.

Paul..

Comment

Just got one of these today. Everything seems to work bar the actual motion node....
                    For those with working devices, was there any particular way to add it? I tried rescanning multiple times, sometimes an extra lux device gets added, all 6 devices are found, yet no motion is ever registered. I'm running .214, for those which work, what plugin version are you on?

Comment

Under the ROOT Settings

Originally posted by Furious View Post
                      Just got one of these today. Everything seems to work bar the actual motion node....
                      For those with working devices, was there any particular way to add it? I tried rescanning multiple times, sometimes an extra lux device gets added, all 6 devices are found, yet no motion is ever registered. I'm running .214, for those which work, what plugin version are you on?
                      I had to Set the wake up interval to 12 minutes. Anything else set it back to 0 (zero) and the motion would not work.

I also added the device by moving the Z-Net near the device to include/add it. Then moved the Z-Net back to its home location.

I am currently using .214. I originally added it with .212.

Also using USB power, not batteries.
                      Last edited by clay2young; March 21, 2015, 05:27 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Sorted it.
                        After removing and re-adding it numerous times, I noticed one time the inclusion log showed things like "enabling motion sensor", "setting group 1 period to 30 minutes" and other stuff. Motion sensing worked briefly then stopped. Never could get the same messages about programming again....

What seems to be happening is that the inclusion is *not* setting defaults, or the device reset is not putting the defaults back in.
                        So, basically, the parameters were set to have motion detection disabled, along with everything else (including the 0 value set in wake up period, causing what you're reporting above)

Probably needs the device to be properly coded in the plugin, as previous gen sensors have all the parameters nicely done...

Comment

As stated in a previous thread, I purchased a couple of the Gen5 multi-sensors for testing. They have both been installed indoors and I hadn't really taken much notice of the reported luminance values until recently I moved one of them to a covered outdoor location with the intention of using it for something real.

According to the documentation I could find, the luminance range is 0-1000. It would appear that the sensor does not report anything between 200 and 1000 but immediately jumps to 1000 for anything >= 200.

Just wondered if others see the same behaviour with the Gen5 units.

Here is a chunk of log showing how the values are changing over the last 3 days.

Apr-22 20:32:51 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 0 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 20:20:50 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 13 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 20:08:50 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 26 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 19:56:50 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 51 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 19:44:49 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 93 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 19:32:49 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 192 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 07:20:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 1000 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 06:56:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 199 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 06:44:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 110 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 06:32:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 86 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 06:20:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 61 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 06:08:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 43 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 05:56:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 26 (Lux)
                          Apr-22 05:44:45 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 12 (Lux)

Apr-21 20:32:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 0 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 20:20:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 12 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 20:08:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 28 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 19:56:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 53 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 19:44:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 85 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 19:32:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 122 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 19:20:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 172 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 07:20:41 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 1000 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 07:08:43 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 176 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 06:56:40 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 160 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 06:44:41 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 117 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 06:32:41 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 96 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 06:20:42 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 66 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 06:08:40 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 39 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 05:56:40 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 19 (Lux)
                          Apr-21 05:44:40 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 8 (Lux)

Apr-20 20:32:38 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 0 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 20:20:38 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 10 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 20:08:39 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 22 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 19:56:38 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 50 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 19:45:07 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 60 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 19:32:46 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 126 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 19:20:38 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 175 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 06:56:32 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 1000 (Lux)
                          Apr-20 06:44:32 Z-Wave Device: Node 29 Z-Wave Luminance Set to 175 (Lux)
                          I had expected a little more resolution...

Just ordered one of the Fibaro motion sensors to see if it fairs any better.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
                            As stated in a previous thread, I purchased a couple of the Gen5 multi-sensors for testing. They have both been installed indoors and I hadn't really taken much notice of the reported luminance values until recently I moved one of them to a covered outdoor location with the intention of using it for something real.

According to the documentation I could find, the luminance range is 0-1000. It would appear that the sensor does not report anything between 200 and 1000 but immediately jumps to 1000 for anything >= 200.

Just wondered if others see the same behaviour with the Gen5 units.

Here is a chunk of log showing how the values are changing over the last 3 days.

I had expected a little more resolution...

Just ordered one of the Fibaro motion sensors to see if it fairs any better.

Paul..
                            Yes Paul, now you mention it I am seeing the same behavior. It jumps straight from 200 to 1000. I have 4 of the previous version which don't have this problem it's only the Gen 5 model.

I haven't paid much attention to the luminance values because I don't use them for any events.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
                              Yes Paul, now you mention it I am seeing the same behavior. It jumps straight from 200 to 1000. I have 4 of the previous version which don't have this problem it's only the Gen 5 model.

I haven't paid much attention to the luminance values because I don't use them for any events.

Steve
                              I also have one of the older version units. It's not currently in use but as you say I'm sure it reported luminance OK.

I've also noticed that now I have it located further away from the USB controller, the no motion signal doesn't seem to get through every time. I have optimized the network several times and optimized the Aeotec sensor individually after waking it up so all the routes should be good.

Not sure if the luminance is an Aeotec or HS3 issue. I'll send an email to Aeotec support and see what they have to say.

In the meantime I've just installed one of the Fibaro multi-sensors for testing. It doesn't have the humidity value but its far more configurable and about 1/3 the size of the Aeotec.

Paul..

Comment

Working...
                              X