Transition from Life360 to HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transition from Life360 to HS

Could someone please try to explain to me how I can transition from life360 to getting this in HS. I have an IFTTT account and have set it up for HS per the instructions. I have set up life360 on our phones and created a family group with the respective zones.

Now how do I get it into HS so I know when someone enters or exits a zone?

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
    Could someone please try to explain to me how I can transition from life360 to getting this in HS. I have an IFTTT account and have set it up for HS per the instructions. I have set up life360 on our phones and created a family group with the respective zones.

thanks in advance.
    The bad news. You can't with Life360 without doing some custom scripting. The problem as of yet, which is an issue with Life360 and IFTTT is that the Life360 service only lets you create an IFTTT applet based on yourself or first/last family member. There's no option to create an applet with a specific family member

I'm working on a script for it for HS3 but I don't know when I'll have it finished. Are your running HS on Windows or Linux? If Linux I might can help as you can run my current Life360 script on Linux and it works fine outside of HS.

The alternative is that you can use IFTTT without Life360. The downside is that each family member has to have an IFTTT account and setup their phones and setup the location event and then call an HS action. It's not that hard, but there's a lot of touch points.

The alternative to IFTTT is to use the PHLocation plugin. However with that you still have to install an app on each phone and configure each phone to login to your system to provide the updates.

I feel your pain which is why I'm working on the Life360 script and hopefully soon to become a plugin. I have also opened a request with Life360 to add features to allow family member selection, I recommend you do the same. The more people asking the more likely it will be implemented.

Honestly it is strange that HS3 doesn't have a plugin for Life360. At this count I think HS3 and Vera are the only systems that don't have a Life360 plugin.

Comment

jeubanks, I am running on windows 10. I would really be interested in your plugin when you have it done.

The life360 app I just downloaded does allow me to add myself and my wife as members of a group called family. They give you a code and when you add the app to another phone like my wife's then I enter this code and she is connected with me and I with her.

Now all we have to do is add places, free version is only 2, but you can get it for 2.99/mo for unlimited.

Is this what yours does also?

Comment

jeubanks, I am running on windows 10. I would really be interested in your plugin when you have it done.

The life360 app I just downloaded does allow me to add myself and my wife as members of a group called family. They give you a code and when you add the app to another phone like my wife's then I enter this code and she is connected with me and I with her.

Now all we have to do is add places, free version is only 2, but you can get it for 2.99/mo for unlimited.

Is this what yours does also?
        The phone app works great and you can have multiple family members and setup locations/zones. With other systems that tie into Life360 you can setup a Life360 location and then setup a rule like in SmartThings if this person status becomes Home then do something. Same with every other system I've used again with the noted exception of HS3 and Vera both of which I integrated my own scripts.

My current script is a Python script that does run in Windows. I can assist with the install/setup if you want to use it on Windows. I also have the same script running in Linux that I can help with setup and I have a Bash script that is Linux specific as it uses curl to make the web requests.

If interested I'll tidy up the script and create some install/usage instructions for it. I would really like to turn it into a full HS3 plugin at some point in time but I'm just learning C# and VB so that's gonna take me some time.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
          The phone app works great and you can have multiple family members and setup locations/zones. With other systems that tie into Life360 you can setup a Life360 location and then setup a rule like in SmartThings if this person status becomes Home then do something. Same with every other system I've used again with the noted exception of HS3 and Vera both of which I integrated my own scripts.

My current script is a Python script that does run in Windows. I can assist with the install/setup if you want to use it on Windows. I also have the same script running in Linux that I can help with setup and I have a Bash script that is Linux specific as it uses curl to make the web requests.

If interested I'll tidy up the script and create some install/usage instructions for it. I would really like to turn it into a full HS3 plugin at some point in time but I'm just learning C# and VB so that's gonna take me some time.
          I am definitely interested. I look forward to getting it into a plugin. For now if you have a script and install instructions I would love to try it. I'm not good by any means with scripts but I would like to try. Let me know. thanks

Comment

I am definitely interested. I look forward to getting it into a plugin. For now if you have a script and install instructions I would love to try it. I'm not good by any means with scripts but I would like to try. Let me know. thanks
            What platform would you be running on? The script can run on Windows or Linux as long as there's network connection to HS3. It can be same machine or different (even an rpi for that matter).

Let me know what platform you want to run on and I'll do some tweaking/documenting/testing tomorrow. If all goes well I'll have something posted tomorrow. I'll publish it to my github.

Comment

What platform would you be running on? The script can run on Windows or Linux as long as there's network connection to HS3. It can be same machine or different (even an rpi for that matter).

Let me know what platform you want to run on and I'll do some tweaking/documenting/testing tomorrow. If all goes well I'll have something posted tomorrow. I'll publish it to my github.
              I am on windows 10 and I am connected to the router with this machine. If you could let me know what the github address is that would be great, if you can. Looking forward to trying it. thanks

Comment

I am on windows 10 and I am connected to the router with this machine. If you could let me know what the github address is that would be great, if you can. Looking forward to trying it. thanks
                Here's the link to my github with the required scripts and install directions.

https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life360

Download if you want it all at once:
                https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life...ive/master.zip

I just pushed this 5 minutes ago, so if something is not clear let me know.

Comment

thanks in advance.
                  I use IFTTT to change virtual devices when one of us enters or leaves a place. Then use events on the device change.

Scott

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's the link to my github with the required scripts and install directions.

https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life360

Download if you want it all at once:
                    https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life...ive/master.zip

I just pushed this 5 minutes ago, so if something is not clear let me know.
                    I really appreciate the effort of doing this but I may have to wait for the plugin because this is just outside my wheelhouse. I hope you understand.

Comment

I really appreciate the effort of doing this but I may have to wait for the plugin because this is just outside my wheelhouse. I hope you understand.
                      No worries. I'll see if I can package it up to simplify. I gave warning that it wasn't for the faint of heart and not "Production Ready"

I've restarted the plugin work, but I'm still having problems with .NET in making the HTTP connections correctly. This is my lack of .NET skills. For someone that knows the HS plugin system and knows .NET this is a SUPER simple plugin for getting the basics out there and then expand on it with some really cool features. But alas I'm not that super coder so it will take me some time... maybe Frank will pick up an interest

Comment

I keep getting error authenticating when testing presence-checker.py

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Are you using email or phone number for username?

Comment

Originally posted by djsaad1 View Post

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Are you using email or phone number for username?
                          I always use email address. Never tried with phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by djsaad1 View Post

Any luck?

BTW - I'm back to working on a native .NET version. This won't be a full plugin but it will be easier to use than the python version. I'll have something out in the next day or so I hope. It won't be pretty but it will function and be easier to setup.

Comment

Any luck?

BTW - I'm back to working on a native .NET version. This won't be a full plugin but it will be easier to use than the python version. I'll have something out in the next day or so I hope. It won't be pretty but it will function and be easier to setup.
                              Had to quit yesterday to take care of the kids, but will try again today.

Quick question, when you say copy contents of zip to virtual environment, what do you mean? I just copied it into the envs folder.

Comment

Working...
                              X