Building a new house and switches everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a new house and switches everywhere

Greetings everyone - I know this is kind of a generic question and I've been trying to learn as much as I can before it's time to buy switches and setup HomeSeer at my new house so any help would be appreciated. I'm currently on a trial of the Raspberry Pi Beta for the B+ and it's been running great.

As one might guess, I'm trying to put in all my switches when the electric work is done in about 3 weeks and trying to wrap my head around what type of switches for each situation or location that I would need. I have a few boxes of 3 switches, some with 4 switches and some singles. I guess my questions are as follows:
    1. Should I just buy a HS-WS200+ for every switch in the house?
    2. Should I mix and match WS200 and WS100 for each location or can some switches be HS-WA-100+ (Companions)
    3. I'm not any type of electrician, would our builder be able to just install these directly with the wires provided and figure it out pretty easily or would they need to look at the diagrams?
    4. Where or how in the 3 or 4 switch box sets would I need a wall companion

If someone could get me an overview video or other type of diagram for multi-switch locations or some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated - I know this probably sounds like a super easy question but I'm racking my brain on which switches I'll need at each location (especially when there are switch groups).
    Attached Files

Originally posted by DangerClose View Post
    1. Should I just buy a HS-WS200+ for every switch in the house?
    2. Should I mix and match WS200 and WS100 for each location or can some switches be HS-WA-100+ (Companions)
    3. I'm not any type of electrician, would our builder be able to just install these directly with the wires provided and figure it out pretty easily or would they need to look at the diagrams?
    4. Where or how in the 3 or 4 switch box sets would I need a wall companion

Substitute a HS-WS200 or 100 for every light/switched load in the home. Anywhere you have 3 or 4 way control of a light you will need a single 200 or 100 and 1 or more companions. Think of the companions as remotes that activate the HS-WS200 which in turn controls the light/switched load.

HS-WS200 has the ability to change the led color including making it blink. HS-WS100 has a white led indicator only. The difference between the two is one of preference. I prefer dimmers personally and I like the ability to change the led color either cosmetically or to show somethings status.

All the HS switches/dimmers/companions will include wiring diagrams in each individual box. That being said I would sit down with the electrician first and ensure they are willing/able to perform the installation for you. A HS-WS200 with a HS-WA100 controlling a 3 way light is not at all wired like a normal 3 way light setup. While the same wiring can be used, if the switches are wired like 3 way switches you'll fry them.

Check with the builder/electrician for how many single switches, 3 way, and 4 way's you will have. This will allow you to build a parts list.

Single = 1 HS-WS
    3 way = 1 HS-WS and 1 HS-WA
    4 way = 1 HS-WS and 2 HS-WA

I'm picturing you walking into a new home with a whole lot of unincluded zwave switches. They work like dumb switches until included btw. I'd be curious if anyone on the board has ever done this.
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

I'd use dimmers for living space lighting; porch lights, garage lighting, pantry etc, i'd use the switch. I just installed my first companion switch. It only has a Neutral and Traveler connection.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll get some pics of the boxes and try to update everyone on this thread and have a sit down with the electrician - I think the idea is to have a smart switch at every location and maybe I can draw it all out to help other people building new homes in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by DangerClose View Post
          Thanks for the quick reply - I'll get some pics of the boxes and try to update everyone on this thread and have a sit down with the electrician - I think the idea is to have a smart switch at every location and maybe I can draw it all out to help other people building new homes in the future.

Don't over complicate things. A smart switch is not much different then a dumb switch, just know you need neutrals in every box. Any newer wiring will have this but old houses may not.

Next ask the builder or electrican how many dimmers, on/offs and 3ways you need. If you were putting in dumb switches you need the same info.

Perosnally I wouldn't use the 100's unless your trying to save a buck. I have a house full of 100's and they are nice but If I were buying today I would buy the newer ones.

I also would use dimmers in more places then not. Dimmers allow more flexability for living rooms, bedrooms, dinning rooms and such. Closets, pantry, laundry and bathrooms You usually want full bright anyways so maybe on/off only there.

Cool thing with dimmers is when you get more advanced (probley not your first few days of playing in homeseer) you can set up things like auto turn on closet light when door opens, but if its midnight to 4am don't turn on full bright and blind me only turn on 20% during that time. So there is more flexability with dimmers then on/offs. You also have a row LED's on them to program for extra functions. Like in your bedroom if any doors are unlocked it shows a RED led or somthing that. So go with dimmers where you want to spend a few extra bucks and have more flexability for the future.

Comment

Working...
          X