No announcement yet.

Costco Feit BR30 LED only Dim to 20% with WD-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have added the ability to dim lower and have also added the ability to directly associate the dimmer and switch with other dimmers and switches. This allows you to use the zwave dimmers and switches as companions in 3 way circuits so can have LEDs at all locations.

We also added the ability to disable the multi tap feature so the switch can respond faster.

We are testing now and should have an update soon.

Originally posted by dmiller View Post
    There is no reason to use Caseta if you have neutral wires to support z-wave dimmers. The most advanced z-wave dimmer/"3way" currently available are the 5th generation goControl models. Unfortunately Homeseer has a disincentive to support the central scenes feature in these devices.

Jasco has a smaller feature set compared to goControl. Both Jasco and goControl are nicer mechanically compared to WS200. But all other features being equal I would trade nicer mechanical functioning for the WS200 LED feedback.

If the WD200 can dim lower than the current firmware allows and adds direct association it will be the superior device. But trading off those core features for blinky lights is a disappointing compromise.

This is a stressful situation when deciding on dimmers and 3-ways for a whole house. Anyone know if dimmers will need to support z-wave security 2 to pass encrypted commands (as a routing slave) to locks?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      We have added the ability to dim lower and have also added the ability to directly associate the dimmer and switch with other dimmers and switches. This allows you to use the zwave dimmers and switches as companions in 3 way circuits so can have LEDs at all locations.

We also added the ability to disable the multi tap feature so the switch can respond faster.

I'm seeing conflicting reports on "soon" and "no plans"... Any update on a relaese date? Beta perhaps?
      Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

What will the wiring scheme look like for using the dimmers as companions - will the dimmer switch just use the neutral and traveler, and the load and line isn't used at all?

Comment

The code is working but right now when you update you lose the node so you have to add it back to the network. We are working on a fix for that and then will post it. Should be real soon, I will try to get a date.

Originally posted by marcusone View Post
          I'm seeing conflicting reports on "soon" and "no plans"... Any update on a relaese date? Beta perhaps?
          Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't use the traveler, the companion will just need neutral and line for power. It uses Z-Wave to communicate with the master.

Originally posted by rsonedecker View Post
            What will the wiring scheme look like for using the dimmers as companions - will the dimmer switch just use the neutral and traveler, and the load and line isn't used at all?

Comment

Don't use the traveler, the companion will just need neutral and line for power. It uses Z-Wave to communicate with the master.
              Hmm, but in most modern 3 (or 4 or 5) way wiring, you don't have a line (hot). (EDIT: referring to typical Z-wave device wiring where the traveler is re-purposed not to supply power)
              Last edited by rsonedecker; June 1, 2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Hmm, but in most modern 3 (or 4 or 5) way wiring, you don't have a line (hot).
                I don't find this to be true. My house is just barely 10 years old, and I have neutral and hots in all boxes, and I think the contractor went buckwild with 3/4 ways in my house (I probably have over a dozen circuits like this).

Cooper switches work this way too if I remember correctly, where they don't need a traveler.

Rich,
                Question on this as well since I would guess that different houses will have different wiring. Would the option be there to use the traveler if avail? I like the idea of having a wireless option, but would prefer wire whenever its available.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                  I don't find this to be true. My house is just barely 10 years old, and I have neutral and hots in all boxes, and I think the contractor went buckwild with 3/4 ways in my house (I probably have over a dozen circuits like this).

Cooper switches work this way too if I remember correctly, where they don't need a traveler.

Rich,
                  Question on this as well since I would guess that different houses will have different wiring. Would the option be there to use the traveler if avail? I like the idea of having a wireless option, but would prefer wire whenever its available.
                  Okay, yeah to clarify, you'd have to re-purpose the traveler to deliver the constant hot. When you install the typical z-wave companions, you re-purpose the traveler to be a communications link between the master and the child. So I'd have to re-connect it to hot to deliver hot through the traveler, but then you would not be able to have the typical communications link like you are asking for.

Comment

Personally I wish that HS would add the ability to load our own custom dimming table thus overwriting the default one. It would only be 100 bytes long, actually 99 but who's counting, and it would allow us to tailor the dimming to the lights. These tables for different manufacture lights could be shared by user via the HS web sight.

We've done this for years on DMX lighting controller and it really makes a difference when using LEDs. Those system used 12 bit tables when being fed with 8 bit dimming data but the idea is the same.

If done right you can get a nice linear lighting curve rather than the logarithmic curve we currently have. HS could be a leader in this area.

Lastly it still would be good to have separate value for use when a light is change from OFF to a low dim setting since most LED will not start well when left at the lowest setting. The sequence would be OFF to special setting for two cycles then to the dim setting, i.e., OFF to 30% to 5%. This sends enough power to the LED so it's electronics can fire up quickly.

I've kinda done this using Z-Wave commands but it's way to slow however it does prove the point about LED not starting if they are just returned to their last setting after being off.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Yes, this is a way to get a line or a neutral to the companion location, I have done this also.

Okay, yeah to clarify, you'd have to re-purpose the traveler to deliver the constant hot. When you install the typical z-wave companions, you re-purpose the traveler to be a communications link between the master and the child. So I'd have to re-connect it to hot to deliver hot through the traveler, but then you would not be able to have the typical communications link like you are asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post

Rich,

Agreed, I have neutral and hots in all boxes including my 2ways/3ways. Is it possible to keep the traveler connected between two or more WD100+/WD200+s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The traveler can only be connected to a WA100, do not connect the traveler between 2 WD100/200 or WS100/200, you may blow out the switch.

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                          Agreed, I have neutral and hots in all boxes including my 2ways/3ways. Is it possible to keep the traveler connected between two or more WD100+/WD200+s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. "Companions" are really just scene controllers that are associated with whatever z-wave devices you wish. So these devices are simply line powered. Of course you have to buy the full z-wave switch instead of the 3-way slave.

Comment

Any update on ETA for the new firmware?

Comment

We have a test version and it works, needs one change, should have it available soon.
                                Any update on the new firmware? I've held off purchasing any new bulbs until the new firmware comes out, and I've also held out on doing any companion switch installs because of the new "companion"/3way mode...but it's been months now.

Comment

Working...
                                X