Event to run every 4th Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event to run every 4th Thursday

I'm trying to figure out a way to have an event run every fourth Thursday evening. I suppose if I could have an event run every 28 days and start on a Thursday and that would work as well. How is this best accomplished? Thanks!

How about this: create a counter, call it "Week". Then create two events something like these. Add the desired actions to the 2nd event.

The counter increments each Thursday at 6PM. When the counter reaches a multiple of 4 it triggers the 2nd event.
    Attached Files

Comment

You can already do this, except hat the day of the week portion cannot be the first condition. The event engine is very powerful, there are a lot of options that are available after you fill in the first condition.

See the example below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	event_dayofweek.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1190718

I hope this helps.
      Billy

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        How about this: create a counter, call it "Week". Then create two events something like these. Add the desired actions to the 2nd event.
        The counter increments each Thursday at 6PM. When the counter reaches a multiple of 4 it triggers the 2nd event.
        Another variant:
        Modify the first event to run at 1:00 AM on Monday. (This event just counts weeks.)
        Trigger the second event at your desired time, with the conditions that 1) the day is Thursday, and 2)the week counter is 4 or a multiple of 4.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Here is an example of one I have used before. Hope this helps.
          Attached Files

Comment

Gads! Counters? Post #3 has the solution. Counters and timers can become a PITA FAST! My personal philosophy is to avoid if possible.
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              Post #3 has the solution.
              The problem with the method in post #3 is that it selects the 4th Thursday of the month, not every 4th Thursday. The OP sounds like a need to run every four weeks, rather than once a month.
              Counters and timers can become a PITA FAST! My personal philosophy is to avoid if possible.
              I agree on timers, but I find counters to be fairly well behaved and easy to manage.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                Gads! Counters? Post #3 has the solution. Counters and timers can become a PITA FAST! My personal philosophy is to avoid if possible.
                I agree, but I think the OP wants the event to run every 4th Thursday, not the 4th Thursday in each month. Post #3 is for the 4th Thursday of each month, making the event run 5 weeks apart every 2-3 months.

The only way I can think of running it on every 4th Thursday is with a counter and at least 2 events.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1190722

It would have to be set up just right to trigger on the first Thursday, then it would continue reliably, unless HomeSeer is down at one of the trigger times. If it misses a trigger, it will be out of sync from then on without intervention.
                Last edited by randy; April 30, 2017, 10:43 AM.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I could do with this!

Hi all,
                  Well Jamesk I thought about how to do this and gave up, still writing on the calendar, I need to stay at home for my medication! I hope your reason is more exciting than this.
                  Will keep an eye on the thread.
                  Peter

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    I agree, but I think the OP wants the event to run every 4th Thursday, not the 4th Thursday in each month. Post #3 is for the 4th Thursday of each month, making the event run 5 weeks apart every 2-3 months.

The only way I can think of running it on every 4th Thursday is with a counter and at least 2 events.

[ATTACH]60927[/ATTACH]

It would have to be set up just right to trigger on the first Thursday, then it would continue reliably, unless HomeSeer is down at one of the trigger times. If it misses a trigger, it will be out of sync from then on without intervention.
                    Good catch Randy, I guess that I did not read the requirement close enough... only had one cup of coffee at that time of the morning... LOL
                    Billy

Comment

If it needs to run every 4 weeks on a Thursday then what about this way.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                        If it needs to run every 4 weeks on a Thursday then what about this way.
                        I saw where you posted that screenshot 6 posts above. That would work fine, but it would require attention from time to time to add dates. You could probably get by with editing the dates once a year, with a calendar in front of you. The two events I created above would be automatic, unless HomeSeer is down at 6:00PM on a Thursday evening. You could set the device and trigger event to: "Include in power fail recovery:" to mitigate the chances of that happening.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Right! Every 4 weeks. Yeah, I can't think of any way to do it without a counter and multiple events either. It's the need for multiple events to clean up counters and timers that I don't like. It gets convoluted.
                          Originally posted by rprade
                          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Well I would just do this with a simple script. Just run it at a set time every day:

Code:
                                Sub Main(ByVal Parm As Object)

Dim DOW As Integer = DateTime.Today.DayOfWeek
                                    Dim Day As Integer = DateTime.Today.Day
                                    If Day >= 22 And Day <= 28 Then
                                        If DOW = 4 Then hs.TriggerEvent("MyEvent")
                                    End If
                                End Sub
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                              Well I would just do this with a simple script.
                              Jon,
                              Does this script find the 4th Thursday of the month? It doesn't look like it finds every 4th Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X