Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so proud of myself!!

Well, here is a simple success story.

I am nowhere near as advanced as you guys with Homeseer but I am trying. After years of X-10 switches and Homeseer basically turning on and off outdoor lights at sunset - and that's it - I took the next step to advance myself.

I have a dehumidifier (with digital front panel for on/off, fan speed, humidity level, etc.) in the basement that makes noise whenever its on. My theater is down there and I am always pulling myself off the couch to turn it off once a movie starts because it is so annoying. I had enough.

I got lucky at the start. When I unplug the dehumidifier, and then plug it back in, it remembers the power state it was in, so if the humidifier was left on, it starts right up. (remember, its a digital on/off push button, so no regular power switch). So, using an appliance module and powerflash interface, I went to work.

The powerflash was set to work as follows: When a low voltage trigger was present, it would flash the unit code "on" and when the low voltage was removed, it would flash the unit code "off". So I hooked up a wire from my pre-amp trigger output (that outputs low voltage when the pre-amp is turned on) to the powerflash. I set the powerflash to E1. When the pre-amp is turned on, E1-ON is flashed. When the pre-amp is turned off, E1-OFF is flashed.

I then plugged the dehumidifier into an appliance module set to E1. See the problem yet? Correct. When the pre-amp is turned on, the dehumidifier turns on. Well, that's great -but I need the opposite effect - and the powerflash will not let me configure that effect.

Hello Homeseer. I created 2 events. When Homeseer sees E1-ON, it triggers E2-OFF. When Homeseer sees E1-OFF, it triggers E2-ON.

So I changed the appliance module to E2. AND IT WORKS!!!! Turning on the pre-amp kills the dehumidifier. Turning off the pre-amp turns on the dehumidifier.

This may be simple to you folks, but I am in awe. I may even try to learn how to write a SCRIPT next!!!!!

- Adam

Excellent. Now while your at it go ahead and automate the lights with this same trigger and have the TV turn on to the correct channel and the DVD player turn on and play.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am waaaaaaay ahead of you (on the pipe dreams, that is, as opposed to the solutions). I just got all the lighting scenes working with the HS Commander plug-in (now that we fixed that problem in the other thread) and I have 7 icons on my desktop on the theater room PC to control the lighting scenes. It's pretty slick. I need to set up the prontopro 7000 first on all of my components before i integrate the lights, etc.

-adam

Comment

Sounds great. Just one piece of advice when using cheap X10 appliance modules with appliances like this. If the X10 appliance module supports local control, there is a very small amount of electrical current still running through the module when its off. This can sometimes damage (even though X10 claims it won't) the electronics/appliance if it is not capable of dealing with this small trickle of current still coming in. If there is no reason for local control of the module at the dehumidifier, disable this on the X10 module so there isn't any chance of damaging your dehumidifier.

The Pod

Comment

Adam,

If you do write a script, you might want to create a delayed event that turns the humidifier back on after a few hours (longer than the movie you watch ). That way you do not forget to turn it back On.

I use my motion sensor plug-in to create a delayed event that is motion triggered. As long as motion is detected, the delay is pushed farther into the future. When the delayed event finally runs, it turns the dehumidifier back On.
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,

The beauty of my little project is that it does turn back on as soon as the pre-amp is off.

Pod,

there are no controls on the appliance module, just house and unit code. So I guess it is what it is ??

-adam

Comment

To disable the local control on the older/cheap X10 modules you have to open them up and cut a diode/wire. See this article for the link to the website talking about doing this modification to your appliance modules. Your other option would be to use a Smarthome appliancelinc module which has the option/feature to disable this function or use a Z-wave appliance module since z-wave does not have the current sense/local control feature.

The Pod

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X