This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insteon LED light bulb!

Mark, is this in the bag of tricks? When you consider the price of any module or switch and the cost of an LED bulb, this is really good for 60w equivelent (8w load).

Is this on the roadmap for the plugin?

http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/IN...ED-Bulb/p.aspx

I guess the downside is eventually it would have to be replaced, but this isnt too far from the cost of the bulb alone
    Paul

I have an email into SH to see if they can provide me developer notes on this. Shouldn't be too difficult to support. I'm surprised they didn't send me one, but oh well.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

That looks great! Definitely an easy upgrade. My only problem is I am all UPB, which has been 100% reliable (if not a bit overpriced...)

Anyone out there running a combination of UPB and Insteon? I believe both technologies use the neutral wire for communication, so I wonder if they are compatible or if there is any cross-talk or interference? I know this is off topic but if anyone has thoughts around UPB vs Insteon reliability I'd love to hear it. (All because I want to buy a dozen of these bulbs for around the house!)

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
        Mark, is this in the bag of tricks? When you consider the price of any module or switch and the cost of an LED bulb, this is really good for 60w equivelent (8w load).

I guess the downside is eventually it would have to be replaced, but this isnt too far from the cost of the bulb alone
        what do you think about having to toss the insteon id when the bulb dies? seems like a waste. I guess I'll have to improve my switch device routine
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          what do you think about having to toss the insteon id when the bulb dies? seems like a waste. I guess I'll have to improve my switch device routine
          I thought about that too. However with LED longevity between 20,000 and 100,000 hours (depending on where you read), hopefully it won't be an issue often.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post

You still need a controller so there is an additional cost to this over just a wall switch. It does however meet a certain need to control a light not wired to a switch. Interesting that it dims. I tried dim able LEDs with a 2476 switch and it worked ok but I would get a humming noise at some dim levels.

Comment

How many lumens is this? Can't find it anywhere on the product website or press release.

Comment

Mark & Heatvent
                LEDs are going to wipe out CFLs. Its cost make its payback period futher out then CFLs. but better in the long run. Some LEDs I put on my premise lighting are rated at 50,000 hours.. They are not affected by the start stop for motion applications and will last many years at lower electrical cost.

For an existing Insteon user, I think whre the insteon bulb makes sense is

1) lamps. No wall wart to plug in or look at
                2) celing fixtures. I can't tell you how much I want to stop wiring / burying inline lincs in the cieling.
                3) Replace those x10 type screw in modules for those applicaitons in older homes

In my house, my family ignores the switches for lights that are automated by timers where these bulbs would be used. In several these I have already buried an inlinelinc in the gang and had a blank cover. For some of those, I would like to pul the bulb in and take the inline linc back as spares or user for some other low voltage lighting projects.

For total cost of ownership over several years, these will be welcome in those 3 applicaitons in my house.
                Paul

Comment

I definitely like the idea, but I'm wondering how practical they are in a home where folks are used to being able to manually hit the switch and turn on the lights in a room. Sure, I could just always leave the switches on, but then I'd have to rely 100% on automation for lighting, and guests would want to use switches. I could also hardwire all the circuits and remove the switches, but again, I'd have to find a way to use automation and HSTouch controllers for all lighting. Would really confuse guests I think. Has anyone else attempted this?
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

There are applications for this. Say you have a wall outlet that is hot all the time. You can put a kepyadlinc in place of another switch say for the ceiling lights and control both the ceiling light and the lamp. Or maybe you just use a switchlinc and control both the ceiling light (load) and the lamp a the same time. So there are opportunities to not rewire where this comes into play.

Comment

Has anyone figured out the color temp on the Insteon bulbs? I really want 2700K and a lot of LEDs are 3000K. I couldn't find anything on the product info.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                        Has anyone figured out the color temp on the Insteon bulbs? I really want 2700K and a lot of LEDs are 3000K. I couldn't find anything on the product info.
                        A few days ago, the specs on SmartHome did mention the color temp, but they've redone the Web pages since then. I seem to recall 2700k, but not 100% sure; contrary to you, I'm looking for a bright white bordering on bluewish, so that's how I remember being disappointed with this yellowish bulb. Don't get me wrong, at 2700k, it's pretty close to a conventional incandescent bulb, but I require something else.

Comment

Hey guys,

SH sent me one. The docs say 2322 lux at 100% on level. No indication of the color temp. the insteon id is printed right on the top of bulb; pretty cool - hope it doesn't burn/rub off.

not sure what else to report. Seems to work as advertised.

I wonder how you reset it, there's no set button and no cmd from what i can tell.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks for the info!

2322 lux is about 215 lumens. That's pretty low... a 60w incandescent produces about 890 lumens on average. IMHO, this light will be good for accent lighting, but not so much for reading.

What are your opinions of it so far, mnsandler?

Comment

As a comparison, I have 4 of the 8.6watt , 40 watt equivalents ecosmart bulbs from Home depot. It says 430 lm. I have them over three entrance doors outside and the appearance is more like a 60watt or greater compared to what I have had there in the past.

They're 3000K, but don't appear to be that blue. On list of Rhesus Monkey tests for my family is putting one in a lamp that is automated before dusk and see who says something.

I'm wondering how standardized the tests are for appearance and brightness of these bulbs? I'm thinking experimentation is in order.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X