This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Battery and Battery Level

I have a pretty fair number of battery-powered Insteon devices in my home, including motion sensors, magnetic-reed closure sensors and "hidden" door sensors. All of them work as expected from a functional perspective -- but I cannot for the life of me see how I can detect that I need to change the batteries on them soon. In particular, the 'Low Battery' warning devices have never seemed to work.

Is there some magic to this?

-M.

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
    I have a pretty fair number of battery-powered Insteon devices in my home, including motion sensors, magnetic-reed closure sensors and "hidden" door sensors. All of them work as expected from a functional perspective -- but I cannot for the life of me see how I can detect that I need to change the batteries on them soon. In particular, the 'Low Battery' warning devices have never seemed to work.

Is there some magic to this?

-M.
    Make sure the devices that have a low battery device have a link in the device to hs and an associated link in the plm. But in general these notifications aren't reliable.

for the devices the report battery voltage level setup a trigger to notify when the level falls below a given level.

otherwise just document when you replace the batteries and then expect to replace them after you have some data on how long they last.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark. My devices are all set up correctly in HS3 and in my Insteon Hub. I've been fussing with this issue on-and-off for years and suspected that there was an Insteon reliability issue with this. Besides rarely seeing a state change on the 'Low Battery' device, I often don't see any change on the 'Battery Level' (especially the 1.5v devices) at all -- they stay at '1.5v' at all times, including when the battery is dead.

I think you're right that keeping a log of when I change batteries in the best idea.

-M.

Comment

Yep, pretty unreliable. My approach is to send myself a text msg when I haven't received a heartbeat for 48 hours.

Comment

What is the magic incantation to get HS3 devices recreated for an Insteon device? I've somehow lost the 'Heartbeat' device for one of my door sensors. I tried doing a 'Program Device for Homeseer' and also 'Reprogram' device' from the Insteon Device config page. Both of these operations ran successfully but I still don't have the 'Heartbeat' (channel 2) device in HS.

-M.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
            What is the magic incantation to get HS3 devices recreated for an Insteon device? I've somehow lost the 'Heartbeat' device for one of my door sensors. I tried doing a 'Program Device for Homeseer' and also 'Reprogram' device' from the Insteon Device config page. Both of these operations ran successfully but I still don't have the 'Heartbeat' (channel 2) device in HS.

-M.
            shutdown the plugin, add the following to the [device x] section of the insteon.ini
            recreatedevice=true
            restart the plugin

this should rebuild the missing hs devices for the given device
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

That was easy -- worked like a charm. Thanks!

Should I remove the config setting from the .ini file now?

-M.

Comment

Ah, disregard. I see it removed itself. :-)

-M.

Comment

not necessary. you will notice the value is now false.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                  X