HELP! Man Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Man Down!

The WAF value is crashing ... much like the value of my stocks!

I have been fighting some line noise, ground problems, and who knows what else!

I have a rack of 4 computers that run constantly that I do my work on. I have another rack where all of my automation equipment resides which is pretty extensive. Both racks run on completely separate circuits. I recently installed an 8x8 Video Matrix Switch. The video was terrible with horizontal scrolling bars, ghost images etc. I even tried placing things on different circuits with no solution. Finally, I thought I would try the Monster 5100 HTS Clean Power just to see if this would help. I plugged all of the video devices including the 8x8 video matrix switch and I was pleasantly surprised that my video problems were completely solved!

Now here is the last problem. Everytime any UPB command is sent on the line no matter what outlet I use to transmit the command, the video matrix switch (which is connected to the Monster Clean Power) momentarily loses the audio and video until the command has completed. I plugged a Simply Brilliant Noise filter to the Monster unit but this did not solve the problem which makes me thing it has something to do with a ground problem instead of a noise problem.

Any takers on this one ... I am at a loss on how to solve this one!

Are the computers plugged into a UPS? I have seen ground problems when various accessories were not plugged into the UPS that the computer was on. Try removing the UPS and see if it helps.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Your 8x8 switch is switching what type of signal?

What generally causes these types of problems is interconnecting video from two different phases of power when there are ground issues on the premises. Disconnect everything from the switcher other than 1 in and 1 out (make sure they are on the same power leg) and select that in/out combination on the switch. Generate some UPB traffic and see if your switcher drops out. If it does then you likely have a serious ground problem on that leg or a bad switcher. If not then you have some sort of ground float issue. In any event you should check that the grounds and the neutrals are both good on all the circuits involved. The 1st test is as simple as using one of those three lighted circuit testers. They won't usually indicate the nastier problems (like when the electriction returned all the neutrals through the ground wires in my basement) but it will show if something is open or swapped.

Jon

Originally posted by ccarpenter1 View Post
      The WAF value is crashing ... much like the value of my stocks!

I have been fighting some line noise, ground problems, and who knows what else!

I have a rack of 4 computers that run constantly that I do my work on. I have another rack where all of my automation equipment resides which is pretty extensive. Both racks run on completely separate circuits. I recently installed an 8x8 Video Matrix Switch. The video was terrible with horizontal scrolling bars, ghost images etc. I even tried placing things on different circuits with no solution. Finally, I thought I would try the Monster 5100 HTS Clean Power just to see if this would help. I plugged all of the video devices including the 8x8 video matrix switch and I was pleasantly surprised that my video problems were completely solved!

Now here is the last problem. Everytime any UPB command is sent on the line no matter what outlet I use to transmit the command, the video matrix switch (which is connected to the Monster Clean Power) momentarily loses the audio and video until the command has completed. I plugged a Simply Brilliant Noise filter to the Monster unit but this did not solve the problem which makes me thing it has something to do with a ground problem instead of a noise problem.

Any takers on this one ... I am at a loss on how to solve this one!
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Working...
      X