specify dim limit at night time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

specify dim limit at night time?

I'd like to basically "lock out" the upb switch in the boys room when the bed time routine runs, having their light dimmed, without them being able to turn it back up. in the past, i did this with a virtual device controlled by an rf switch, which was linked via event to the x10 switch hidden in the wall. now i have a upb switch, and i don't have that option. is there an easy way to do that, either with upstart programming the switch itself or hs controlling the switch some how?
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Without doing some figuring, Im not exactly sure how to set this up but Im pretty sure it will work. If you set up the switches to send a link (no local control on the paddel) to Homeseer and have homeseer send a different link back to the switch. Then you could control when the switch actually worked. The UPB signal delay would be very short. Shorter then the double tap delay that UPB has. Im not sure about the response time for Homeseer.
    I have done something like this with a UMI.
    If you use a UMI as your relay(receiving a UPB signal and sending another) the speed will probably be quicker than with homeseer. And then use (wire through the contacts) one of the other controls on the UMI as a condition based on homeseer. Im not sure Im being very clear. I can draw it out if you like.

Dave

Comment

I don't have a umi, but I am following what you're saying about the link...that's a great idea! I love UPB! I'll let you know how it turns out.
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Since you have done this before with x10, I was wondering how long you leave the switch "defeated" and what do you do for an emergency. If you need to enter the room and turn the light on.
        With UPB it will be a snap! Just create a link with some other button nearby that sends an on, any dim level.

Below is a copy of a post I did a while back using a UMI in an application. You can realy do some fun stuff with it.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
        I needed a group of LV lights to only come on after sunset and only with the Party scene. As an example the Party scene is turned on to light the inside of the house but it is not yet sunset. I do not want the garden lights on until Sunset. I used a SA UMI-32 (3 input+2 output) module.

http://simply-automated.com/products/sa_UMI.htm

I created a Testing Room in Upstart and created this application.
        I have attached an image of the UPStart configuration for the UMI and 3 devices to operate only if 2 conditions are met.
        I used single strands of Cat5 wire to jumper terminals on the UMI.
        Terminal 1 to 9
        Terminal 2 to 3
        Terminal 4 to 10

Terminals 1 and 2 close when the unit receives Sunset link activate on Channel 1
        Terminals 3 and 4 close when the unit receives Party mode link Activate on Channel 2
        Terminals 9 and 10 Transmit a UPB link activate (Test group link) when a dry contact closer is made and deactivates the link when either of the conditions are deactivated. The circuit also deactivates when the All off link is received by channel 2
        Yes, this could be done with a central controller, however this house does not have one, only local control touch pads and a SA Timer Scheduler

http://simply-automated.com/products/sa_UCS.htm

Dave
        <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND>
        </FIELDSET>

Comment

I was searching this forum for dim control at night time and found this thread. What I actually want to do is let family use the same toggle button that turns lighting on to 80% in 0.8 seconds (double tap to 100% snap) to instead do the following:
          • From 6:00 AM to 10:00PM, turn lighting on to 80% in 0.8 seconds
          • From 10:01PM to 5:59AM, turn lighting on to 60% in 3 seconds
          I know that I would have to do this with links and I assume that I would need HomeSeer involved for the logic which means some UPB Plug-In events.

Any suggestions?
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

I've noticed that UPB link events w/ the homeseer plugin gives SOOOOO much customability, it is a great thing. for instance, i have a 4 button/top rocker in the dining room. button #1 activates a dinner time link, which turns off tvs, lights, starts music, etc, for dinner. but I really only have to have that button "dedicated" for dinner during the hours of say, 4:30-7pm. the rest of the time, that button can trigger another event, like the "good night" event which arms the security, turns lights off, adjusts hvac settings, etc. this in effect gives me double point value on the buttons.

i share this because I don't see why you couldn't do something similar w/ the standard rocker. you'd have to go into upstart and program the switch to activate/deactivate a link (instead of controlling the light). then you'd go to HS and build the conditional events that are triggered by that upb link, certain events for certain times. (that's what I did for the light in my boy's room)

That's a great idea, btw...i read some posts of yours earlier where you were talking about the lights snapping to 80% instead of 100%, saving $. i'll have to look into doing that here as well!

let me know how it goes!
            Plugins:

Comment

I would prefer a hardware solution that allowed this to remain in the UPB realm but I'll try the HS events with conditions.

The 70-80% level works great! No one really noticed at first but upon double tap you get 100% which comes in handy when you need some extra lighting. I would almost swear that when you double tap the lights are brighter than they ever were . It's all about perception...

BTW, I am not jumping on the compact fluorescent bandwagon. I will wait for LED lighting that is dimmable, lasts much longer than fluorescents, uses even less electricity and is instant on. Just need price to come down.
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

I am wondering a bit about what I am reading, I am sorry I am not an expert.
                What does UPB stand for?

I have an issue with an old condo that does not have neutral wire, I managed to set up everything in the condo and things will run well if controlled via hstouch.

But when users use the physical switch the dim level goes to 100% and it makes the lights turn on and off.

I need the lights to go to max 95% so that wont happen.

How can I set up a dimmer (I have used fibaro micro dimmers) so I can restrict the level of dimming it does when pressed phisically?

Comment

Working...
                X