No announcement yet.

upb started acting like x10 - YIKES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my guess would be links too... perhaps something is activating link241 and transmitting it when it is not supposed to...

Comment

This is very odd because I've had a very similar thing happen within the last two weeks. My UPB installation (100+ devices) has been near 100% reliable. I would say "four nines" (99.99%). However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that four lamps in one room did not go off at night when HS sent an "asleep" link (which is supposed to turn off everything). One lamp in that room did go off. Coincidently (or not) the one lamp that did go off is a PCS lamp module and the four that didn't are Simply Automated lamp modules. Now I notice that sometimes all the lamps behave as they are supposed to but sometimes the four still will not respond to link commands. No other device in the house has a problem and it's always those four or none. In other words, it's never that two of them work and two don't. Either they all four work fine or none of them do. Yesterday, I replaced one of the SA modules with a new PCS module and it works great. This afternoon I noticed the other three SA modules were on when they should not have been but both PCS modules were off. I am still trying to determine why this is happening. It started about the time that we had some severe electrical storms in the area so I'm thinking it's possible that the SA modules on that circuit got "zapped" somehow. Not enough to make them completely quit working but enough that they are now unreliable. I am going to try to reprogram them with UPstart and see if that fixes them. If not, I'm faced with replacing three more SA lamp modules with PCS modules.

Completelyhis, maybe it's a solar flare or something!

So as not to hijack this one, I'm going to start another thread about my recent experience with PCS and Gen II UPB (very positive).

Comment

I had the same thing happen, but only at certain hours of the night and only with link commands. Some checking with UPStart in diagnostics mode showed noise at very specific times of the night. I changed my transmission count to two and the problem went away. Two is the recommended setting, and genII requires it at two or more to work properly.

Jon

Originally posted by DC View Post
        This is very odd because I've had a very similar thing happen within the last two weeks. My UPB installation (100+ devices) has been near 100% reliable. I would say "four nines" (99.99%). However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that four lamps in one room did not go off at night when HS sent an "asleep" link (which is supposed to turn off everything). One lamp in that room did go off. Coincidently (or not) the one lamp that did go off is a PCS lamp module and the four that didn't are Simply Automated lamp modules. Now I notice that sometimes all the lamps behave as they are supposed to but sometimes the four still will not respond to link commands. No other device in the house has a problem and it's always those four or none. In other words, it's never that two of them work and two don't. Either they all four work fine or none of them do. Yesterday, I replaced one of the SA modules with a new PCS module and it works great. This afternoon I noticed the other three SA modules were on when they should not have been but both PCS modules were off. I am still trying to determine why this is happening. It started about the time that we had some severe electrical storms in the area so I'm thinking it's possible that the SA modules on that circuit got "zapped" somehow. Not enough to make them completely quit working but enough that they are now unreliable. I am going to try to reprogram them with UPstart and see if that fixes them. If not, I'm faced with replacing three more SA lamp modules with PCS modules.

Completelyhis, maybe it's a solar flare or something!

So as not to hijack this one, I'm going to start another thread about my recent experience with PCS and Gen II UPB (very positive).
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I think i figured it out. every one of my us240's were on this morning. all of them turned on at 6:41. They must be linked together somehow. So, the only switch i had messed with recently was my boys room, when they installed the CF, I reprammed it (beyond the snap! - I messed with some links for other reasons, while I was there.)

Of course, if someone turns on the light, HS isn't going to log it, which is why it would like like noise. so this morning i had my 5 year old tech assistant go turn his light of and guess what - all my us240's turned off! He came out to the living room, looked around, and said, "that's weird. why did you make our lights switch control everything?"

Good question, Sawyer, good question. I'm about to do an upstart session and find out!
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

well, i've learned that i'm not very smart. each us2-40 has a top rocker /4 button switch. when i was editing it i chanced it to match all the others with the link settings for the other similar ones (receive = only link used is 16, which is Link241. on the Transmit page i changed it to also match all the other 2-40s w/ the 4 button+rocker, which is link241 on top and bottom rocker. problem is, i forgot to uncheck the "transmit" on the rocker in the boys room, so it was transmitting 241 too all! You'd think I'd learn, cause I found this post here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...hlight=link241

well, at least it is fixed! I love UPB again!
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

That's good news! I'd have hated to hear you wandered off into Insteon territory.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

LOL - don't worry about that! I was thinking just for a moment, though, that maybe I should have gone zwave, but I am back to my senses, don't worry. UPB Lifer, right here!
                Plugins:

Comment

Completly,

I don't have internet at my apartment. That's why I have not been on much.

I still check the forums here and there.

Glad you got everything squared away. After (I think Jon?) mentioned Links..that was why I jumped on that. It made perfect sense to me...as I had similar issues with Link241. some lights were going on and off "randomly". So, now I remove it from ALL my switches. This way, when I put a new switch in, and it has Link 241, it doesn't goof up any of my existing circuits, or give me any bad karma about it.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                  X