This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Spud,

Thanks for your great work! I want to get in on the Alexa Plugin too, but having trouble getting the plug-in installed. I followed the installation instructions you provided and all goes well until I try to install it from the manage plug-ins page. Here is what I'm getting: "Install/Update of package Alexa failed."

I'm running HS3 Pro on Windows XP PRO Service Pack 3. Any ideas of what's happening here?

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      This plugin is designed to interface HomeSeer with the Alexa Voice Service. It allows to use Alexa with any microphone and speakers connected to your Windows machine (i.e. a replacement for the Echo device)

Please report any bug.

Please read the User Guide before installing.

Installation:
      • download the zip attached to this post and save it in the HS3 application folder in /updates3/zips
      • download the file named updater_override.txt attached to this post and save it in the HS3 application folder.
      • go to the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page and click the "Update Listing" button, then click "Additional interfaces > Test Plugin" and check the Alexa line.
      • click the "Download and Install" button
      • enable the plugin from the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page
      • delete updater_override.txt from your HS3 application folder

Changes to v3.0.0.1:
      - Fixed plugin shutdown
      - Display a message error in config page when Microsoft Server Speech Platform Runtime x86 is not installed.
      Spud,

I'm having trouble installing Alexa Plug-in. From the manage plug-ins page I get the error "Download/Installation failed.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by klbetts View Post
        Spud,

I'm having trouble installing Alexa Plug-in. From the manage plug-ins page I get the error "Download/Installation failed.

Any suggestions?
        Look in the logs to get more information about what went wrong
        A typical mistake is to put the zip in the wrong directory, it must be in Updates3/Zips

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          Spud, I have been playing with Alexa with a Kinect device for the past week. I have fond that Alexa understands most of my questions but with other it misinterprets the questions. But the most that bothers me is, if I ask let's say a news brief and I want it to stop or pause, it does not respond to my commands and keeps chatting away. Does this happens to be a mic problem with Kinect?
          Bump
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
            Spud, I have been playing with Alexa with a Kinect device for the past week. I have fond that Alexa understands most of my questions but with other it misinterprets the questions. But the most that bothers me is, if I ask let's say a news brief and I want it to stop or pause, it does not respond to my commands and keeps chatting away. Does this happens to be a mic problem with Kinect?
            this is probably a bug in the plugin, I will have a look and let you know.

Comment

Add options for News Brief

Hi,

You can add additional topics for the daily 'news brief' to Alexa.

Go to your Amazon Alexa and Settings --> Then under Account select Flash Briefing.

You will be presented with options to toggle On/Off additional items such as Sports, Weather, etc.

Works great.

FYI...you can get to the Amazon Alexa setting by using this link:
              http://alexa.amazon.com/#settings
              Attached Files

Comment

Look in the logs to get more information about what went wrong
                A typical mistake is to put the zip in the wrong directory, it must be in Updates3/Zips
                Spud,

Thanks for the assistance on the Plug-In. I downloaded the file twice without realizing it so the downloader changed the name of the file.

"My Bad"!!!

Thanks again.

Comment

FYI, the Alexa plugin is now in the updater in the "User Interfaces" section

Comment

Spud,

Thanks for the assistance on the Plug-In. I downloaded the file twice without realizing it so the downloader changed the name of the file.

"My Bad"!!!

Thanks again.
                    Spud,

Do you have to purchase a device, for example the Echo to use the Alexa Voice Service or can I pay for the service without a device?

Thanks....

Comment

Spud,

Do you have to purchase a device, for example the Echo to use the Alexa Voice Service or can I pay for the service without a device?

Thanks....
                      You don't have to purchase a device to use the Alexa Voice Service, and the service is completely free.

Comment

Is there a way to use it with the Echo?

Comment

Originally posted by ajgyomber View Post
                          Is there a way to use it with the Echo?
                          This is something that would be used instead of an Echo. It's not a plug in that allows the echo to control homeseer, it's a plug in that allows spoken commands to homeseer to be sent to Amazon's Voice Service and for the response to be spoken through your speaker client.

Basically it allows audio input and output to Amazon's Alexa service from homeseer, rather than the mic and speakers on an Echo.

If you are asking if you could speak through Homeseer and have the response come from the Echo, or vice versa, that currently isn't possible with what Amazon has released. The same client you speak to is what responds.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Thank you Spud!!!

Really other than the sound issues (which I caused) it is a very plug n play installation.

Well too it works fine with the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit Homeseer 3 mothership.

Alexa ignored me when I asked her to shut off the internet.
                            I wonder if the response is trying to tell you something, what is the internet and what is Morality, i.e. what is the morality of trying to shut off the internet
                            HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Yes this is one of the goal. It is supposed to work right now, but I haven''t tested a remote instance so far. I will test and add some instructions to the user guide
                              I am attempting to try to set a remote instance from a Windows 10 box about 150 miles away from my home....

I expect that the current command line does not pass user and password or could be that I don't know the format. I suppose I need something like

HSPI_Alexa.exe server=www.xxxx.com:81 user=yyy password=zzz instance = ColumbusApt

Possible or even with credentials likely not to work?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by dcdelong View Post
                                I am attempting to try to set a remote instance from a Windows 10 box about 150 miles away from my home....

I expect that the current command line does not pass user and password or could be that I don't know the format. I suppose I need something like

HSPI_Alexa.exe server=www.xxxx.com:81 user=yyy password=zzz instance = ColumbusApt

Possible or even with credentials likely not to work?

Chris
                                the command line is
                                HSPI_Alexa.exe server=<ip_of_your_hs_machine> instance=<instance_name>

see

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...47#post1202047

a remote plugin communicate with the hs3 machine on port 10400, so you just need to pass the ip of your hs3 machine as the parameter and make sure it is accessible from your remote location on port 10400.

let me know how it goes, I never tried to run a remote plugin from a non local network location.

Comment

Working...
                                X