Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GD00Z-1 garage door opener dead?

All,

As with many of you, I have struggled with the GD00Z / Lowes Iris garage door opener. When I initially got it (13 months ago?), it took quite a feat to get it paired.

Recently, it just sort of stopped working. No beeps or sounds, and the status was continually "stopped."

So, I unpaired it, replaced the battery in the tilt sensor, unplugged the GD00Z, plugged it back in, and tried to pair. Hell on Earth this process is - standing on a ladder for 30-45 minutes at a time.

Finally, I took the Z-Net and plugged it into a battery source and took it up the ladder with me. With it only inches away, it finally paired -- after about 4-5 remove/add cycles, with much futzing and restarting the ZWave plugin and controller.

OK, so it is fussy.

Then, I was getting this Access Control Notification:
    Barrier Operation Denied UL

Found a post on SmartThings which suggested this was UL code that the garage door must be manually opened and closed at least once before remotes will work. (Post is https://community.smartthings.com/t/...at-all/9758/20).

The tilt sensor works! I saw my garage door status change to "Open"! Manual closing made the status change to "Closed"!

OK, now, from my phone, I tell it to open. I get the flashing lights -- NO SOUND -- and..... nothing. Not a peep. I can do that all day and I get flashes but no beeping.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm thinking it was killed or died. And if it died, it is sad that it didn't last more than a year - since these things are like 90 bucks.

Thanks for any input or feedback,

hjk
    ---

If you're looking for a replacement, I highly recommend the Fortrezz MimoLite. It has one relay (for controlling the garage door), and one sensor input (hooked up to a garage door reed switch -- a bunch are available for like $15 at Amazon).

It's plug-in, so no worries about batteries. And I think it runs about $55.

Comment

Originally posted by hjk View Post
      All,

As with many of you, I have struggled with the GD00Z / Lowes Iris garage door opener. When I initially got it (13 months ago?), it took quite a feat to get it paired.

Recently, it just sort of stopped working. No beeps or sounds, and the status was continually "stopped."

So, I unpaired it, replaced the battery in the tilt sensor, unplugged the GD00Z, plugged it back in, and tried to pair. Hell on Earth this process is - standing on a ladder for 30-45 minutes at a time.

Finally, I took the Z-Net and plugged it into a battery source and took it up the ladder with me. With it only inches away, it finally paired -- after about 4-5 remove/add cycles, with much futzing and restarting the ZWave plugin and controller.

OK, so it is fussy.

Then, I was getting this Access Control Notification:
      Barrier Operation Denied UL

Found a post on SmartThings which suggested this was UL code that the garage door must be manually opened and closed at least once before remotes will work. (Post is https://community.smartthings.com/t/...at-all/9758/20).

The tilt sensor works! I saw my garage door status change to "Open"! Manual closing made the status change to "Closed"!

OK, now, from my phone, I tell it to open. I get the flashing lights -- NO SOUND -- and..... nothing. Not a peep. I can do that all day and I get flashes but no beeping.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm thinking it was killed or died. And if it died, it is sad that it didn't last more than a year - since these things are like 90 bucks.

Thanks for any input or feedback,

hjk
      ---
      Were you able to resolve this? I have 2 and they were working fine, and now suddenly one has "stopped" with the message "Barrier Operation Denied UL". Same results as lights flash but door won't activate. I can't find any information on this error.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
        Were you able to resolve this? I have 2 and they were working fine, and now suddenly one has "stopped" with the message "Barrier Operation Denied UL". Same results as lights flash but door won't activate. I can't find any information on this error.
        Hey Derek,

Unfortunately, I had to fix it by buying a new one. I think it just "went bad." Sad, since it had very little use and was pretty expensive to be throw-away.

You might try removing it completely, resetting it, and re-adding through all the steps.

I wish you luck, sir!

I was pretty bitter about this for a while.

hjk
        ---

Comment

Originally posted by hjk View Post
          Hey Derek,

Unfortunately, I had to fix it by buying a new one. I think it just "went bad." Sad, since it had very little use and was pretty expensive to be throw-away.

You might try removing it completely, resetting it, and re-adding through all the steps.

I wish you luck, sir!

I was pretty bitter about this for a while.

hjk
          ---

I've done that with no luck. Reached out to Nortek/linear via email, as their support charges $50 per phone call, and I paid 90 something for the unit. Waiting to hear, but may need to suck it up and buy another...it's not even a year old yet...bitter is approaching lol

As I was typing this, I got the following response from nortek/linear "Sounds like you did a thorough troubleshooting of the device.At this point,I would suggested getting it back to where you got it and have them replace it. It sounds as if the device is shot."

So now I've got to figure out where the heck I bought it from....ugh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X