Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Electrical Code - How far should 120v lights be from gas line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Electrical Code - How far should 120v lights be from gas line?

Anyone have any ideas in terms of code or best practice in terms of how far 120v lights should be from gas lines?

I am considering adding a light in my utility room but there is a gas line close to where I want to put it. Obviously, if there is a true gas leak and sufficient concentration of gas fumes that it doesn't mater how far away I put the light.

Just asking if anyone has any input....
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

NFPA 54 likely applies as well, not just the NEC. Having said that, I don't believe there any specific clearance requirements. What type of gas pipe is it? Any fittings nearby, or just a straight run? The codes call for 3' of separation between a gas meter and an ignition source, but wiring and a light are not necessarily considered an ignition source. However, with just pipe, there are no specific clearance specified for indoor non-commercial AFAIK.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

In my case it is just a pipe. The gas "tree" is 4.5' feet away.

Thanks for the double check.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Here I added lighting to the utility section of the basement which includes the fuse panel, storm well, ejection well, water heater (gas), furnace (gas), softner, et al.

The gas lines all run near / next to the electrical conduit. I added a few light bulbs in porcelain sockets in just about every part of the utility section. IE: two over the fuse panel, 2 over the furnace, water heater, et al.

Outside for the natural gas grill the gas lines (black pipe) run next to the conduit (metal hv conduit) and LV conduit (plastic)

I did notice that there are sprinkler heads over the furnace area and water heater area.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X