Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zWave Expansion Question

New to zWave here.

As we're building a new home my wife and I are putting a lot of time into designing the lighting.

For most rooms we are putting in at least two separate light circuits so we can have some variety and control. For example, the kids' bedrooms will have a central light on one switch but also have some recessed lights on a separate dimmable switch. The kitchen and great room are each likely to have three different circuits for various light moods.

From what I've been reading it seems like zWave control can be fully managed at the wall switch itself and these can be upgraded over time. So we don't need to install any special or specific lighting fixtures and can install standard light switches on most circuits initially. We can put zWave swtiches on maybe just a half dozen circuits during the initial build and configure these in HS and over time as we want we just buy a new zWave-based light switch to swap in other circuits as we want and can afford.

Is it really this easy or am I missing something?

advTHANKSance!
    -Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

Yes, pretty much that easy. It'll be important to ensure that there's a neutral wire available in each switch box especially for 3-way and 4-way applications. This is now code in all/most jurisdictions in North America, so this should happen automatically, but best to be on-top of it to be sure.

One thing to remember with z-wave that it's a mesh network so if you initially put some switches in far corners of the house, those may not work reliably until you add more (non-battery powered) z-wave devices.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      Hi Lawrence,

Yes, pretty much that easy. It'll be important to ensure that there's a neutral wire available in each switch box especially for 3-way and 4-way applications. This is now code in all/most jurisdictions in North America, so this should happen automatically, but best to be on-top of it to be sure.
      We'll be sure to communicate that with our electrician.

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      One thing to remember with z-wave that it's a mesh network so if you initially put some switches in far corners of the house, those may not work reliably until you add more (non-battery powered) z-wave devices.
      I've seen that mentioned before. So any non-battery zWave devices create new nexus points to help extend the strength of the mesh? If I start with a wired light switch in a few points through the home that would be a good idea to lay the foundation?

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
        So any non-battery zWave devices create new nexus points to help extend the strength of the mesh?
        Are you Using Nexus for control or Homeseer?

Comment

We'll be sure to communicate that with our electrician.
          Also talk to him about plastic boxes instead of metal as that will give better range.

I've seen that mentioned before. So any non-battery zWave devices create new nexus points to help extend the strength of the mesh? If I start with a wired light switch in a few points through the home that would be a good idea to lay the foundation?
          Yes, that sounds like a good plan.

Cheers
          Al

Comment

For the question above, I'm using HomeSeer. The use of "nexus" was for topology reference, not product.

Thanks for the tip about plastic boxes. You are referring to the actual boxes inside the wall, screwed to the studs, correct? And this is just for switch boxes?

-L

Comment

Thanks for the tip about plastic boxes. You are referring to the actual boxes inside the wall, screwed to the studs, correct? And this is just for switch boxes?

-L
              Yes, the ones in the wall and the deeper they are the better to make sure everything fits well. If you are considering zwave enabled outlets, then I would make sure those are plastic/deep as well.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

Thanks for the hand-holding!

-L

Comment

Working...
                X