Cheap IR solution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap IR solution.

I'm looking for a way to just turn off a TV using Homeseer. That is the only thing I want to do with it. So $60 is a bit much for me to pay for this one function. Is there a cheaper way to do this?

My Homeseer computer is sitting right next to the TV I want to control. It's just a TV that we watch and play games on.

I was thinking a USB blaster connected via USB to the Homeseer computer.

I've considered a harmony remote but at $100 it is way to capable/expensive for just this one function.

I've looked at some of the IR blasters that are available in the Homeseer store but once again $70 is way to much to just turn the TV off.

Yelling at my kids is free but it doesn't seem to work all that well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what to do?

What kind of tv is it? Some have serial ports and/or web interfaces that could potentially be used.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Any good at electronics?

Arduino + IR LEDs + Few Parts can be had for a couple of $ (if you don't bother with a genuine Arduino), I replaced my USB-UIRT with a DIY solution that now has two 'zones' of IR transmission that I built from spare parts. I had to do two zones because I found that some of my devices had very similar codes to the others and could cause odd effects but in your situation you could probably get away with one.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        What kind of tv is it? Some have serial ports and/or web interfaces that could potentially be used.

Cheers
        Al
        It's an old Insignia TV. I think I got it back in 2006. As far as I can tell IR is the only solution. HDMI CEC, serial or a web interface is a definite no go.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        Any good at electronics?

Arduino + IR LEDs + Few Parts can be had for a couple of $ (if you don't bother with a genuine Arduino), I replaced my USB-UIRT with a DIY solution that now has two 'zones' of IR transmission that I built from spare parts. I had to do two zones because I found that some of my devices had very similar codes to the others and could cause odd effects but in your situation you could probably get away with one.
        Tab A in slot B stuff I can probably figure out. Software to run it is a completely different story.

Comment

Why don't you use a power switch?
          Peter

http://ohh.pcgsm.nl

Comment

If you want to use an Arduino and make it yourself then this page will help you with most of it.
            Schematic and code available
            http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/2014.htm#2014-8
            - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
            HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
            PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

does the power switch help?

Comment

Working...
              X