Device names in HS3 plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device names in HS3 plugin

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss the HS3 version of the plugin on not, but if not, please let me know and I can move it.

In any case, I just installed the HS3 plugin and it looks great so far. The one issue I've run into is that there doesn't seem to be any way to name each device. If I go into the plugin setup page I can name each channel for each of my devices, however, the plugin doesn't seem to use that information anywhere. When the devices are created they are created with generic "ECM 1 - CH1" or "ECM 2 - AUX3" names.

Perhaps even worse, if I try to modify those names after the devices are created it breaks the plugin and the devices with modified names are no longer updated.

Additionally, it seems that HS3 has some sort of an "Energy Database" I'm not entirely certain what it is or what it does, but I have a few AEON Labs smart switches that report their energy usage and HomeSeer reported that it registered those devices as an "energy device" and it enters their energy data into the "Energy Database" I'd love to be able to get all of my energy data from my AEON Labs devices and my ECM monitors in one place and this HomeSeer "Energy Database" seems like it might be the solution. Are you able to register these devices as "Energy Devices" with HS so it can use it's internal "Energy Database" with them?

Thanks,
    Brett
    Last edited by BrettS; June 17, 2013, 10:10 AM.

Yes modifying the names will break it. They are used that way for ease of being able to update them. Perhaps I can explore changing that in a future release.
    I believe if you change the monitor name it will change the names of the devices that contain that name to the new name

I have no idea what the energy database in HS3 does. The plugin is its own application and has its own database that it maintains.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. The ability to give the devices custom names based on what they monitor would be definitely be quite useful for me. Either by letting me rename the devices manually or by using the name's I've listed in the "Monitors" section of the plugin config.

I've also posted another thread in the HS3 area asking for more details about what exactly the "energy database". It looks like the HS "CurrentCost" plugin also reports to this database.

This is mostly speculation on my part, since there doesn't really seem to be any info about this, but if it's a globally maintained database of energy devices and their values I'd love for this plugin to report into it. As I said above, I've got two different types of energy devices (the ECM's and the AEON Labs smart switches) and the ability to get all of my energy data in one place no matter which device it came from would be quite useful to me.

I know you've still got a lot of work ahead of you with the whole HS3 conversion and the plugin seems to be quite functional as it is, so if you can at least put these down as feature requests for future releases I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,
      Brett

Comment

Go ahead and add a feature request on my web site (see signature) for the rename of the devices
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

I have added the ability to rename the channels in build 2.0.2 in the updater.
          Try it and let me know
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Working...
          X