Is this a bug or me misunderstanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a bug or me misunderstanding

So I've got a routine that turns off every light in the house. I'm porting my stuff from ISY to HS3 here and I have it set up so that half a dozen or so switches in my house will trigger the event by a double-tap (fast off)

I'm trying to create an event that

If (an ISY device event happens) (buttonA) sends Off
    OR IF
    (an ISY device event happens) (buttonB) sends Fast Offf
    etc

The thing is that when I put in the second condition it changes the first one. So when I put in the buttonB condition the buttonA one disappears and I get two buttonB conditions.

I suspect this is me misunderstanding the difference between a trigger and a condition and if so then please correct me. Also, if you can tell me how I *could* trigger an event based on multiple conditions this way - or do I have to simply duplicate the event and change the trigger for each switch?

On another note - what sorting order is used for the Devicelist in the 'ISY device event happens' dropdown? It's very hard to wade through them all - they don't seem to be alphabetical

Thanks!

Originally posted by MarkJames View Post
    So I've got a routine that turns off every light in the house. I'm porting my stuff from ISY to HS3 here and I have it set up so that half a dozen or so switches in my house will trigger the event by a double-tap (fast off)

I'm trying to create an event that

If (an ISY device event happens) (buttonA) sends Off
    OR IF
    (an ISY device event happens) (buttonB) sends Fast Offf
    etc

The thing is that when I put in the second condition it changes the first one. So when I put in the buttonB condition the buttonA one disappears and I get two buttonB conditions.
    That looks like a bug. I think I'm only parsing the last bit of information HS gives me for the trigger. I'll have to look at that and figure out what I'm doing wrong there.

You could create separate events for each switch, but I can see where that would be non-optimal.

The sorting used is by device type and then alphabetical within the type. At one point I was thinking of adding device type separators in the list, but never tried to implement that.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

A quick update. I believe I have it working now for multiple "OR" conditions.

You can't use any of the ISY plug-in triggers in an "AND" condition. That seems like a much harder problem to solve and I'm not sure it's possible.

I'm currently working on some other changes and would like to release all of them at once if you can wait a day or so to get this fix.
      --
      Bob Paauwe
      ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

That's great. Thanks Bob.

I'm not sure your sorting in that dropdown is working as described. I'm looking at my list and it's quite a mess. It starts out with

Keypads
        IO
        Relays
        Keypad Relays
        Dimmer
        Keypad Relays
        Dimmer

Then goes back and forth between keypad relays and dimmers. It's very confusing. I have 130 devices and many of them are KPL's so it's quite an ordeal to find the one I'm looking for. I thought maybe it was a device change but I have 2476D dimmers separated by relays. Perhaps it's a version sort - I didn't check that. Regardless - the flipping back and forth between an alpha sort of dimmers for 5 choices then an alpha sort of relays for a few choices then back to an alpha sort of dimmers again and so on is very confusing. Any chance of changing this to a straight alphabetical sort?

Thanks!

mark

Comment

You're right, it's not sorted at all. I must have been thinking about a different device list.

It's not a problem to sort it so I'll do that.

I did upload a new version that has the multiple OR conditions fixed.

I'm still not sure what it would take to try and make multiple AND conditions work. Based on the way the condition data is passed around in HomeSeer, it would only be able to work with trigger conditions for a single plug-in. And with a lot of the ISY triggers, it's not simple to define what something like:

switch A sends fast on AND switch B sends fast on

means since there's no way they can both do that at the same time. There'd have to be a time buffer around each one such that it's true if both send a fast on within some small amount of time. Keeping track of that would get complicated fast.

Unless someone can come up with a really good use case for supporting AND conditions for trigger events, I'm not going to put any effort into trying to support that.

Support for something like:

if switch A sends fast on AND time of day > 4pm

may require changes in HomeSeer since the plug-in only knows about conditions related to it. The ISY plug-in wouldn't have any knowledge that the time > 4pm condition existed.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Hi Bob,

HS has never, as far as I know, supported AND logic with triggers that conflict. eg. you CAN have a trigger that's device A being on AND device b being on but you can't have a trigger that's device A changing to on and device B changing to off. I don't think that's ever worked.

I'm far from expert but I think the reason is that the first action is the trigger while the others are the conditions. So if you had device A being on and device B changing to on wouldn't trigger at all while device A changing to on while device b IS on would trigger.

TBH I haven't looked at this in a while but I recall running up against this long ago and just changed my style to accommodate it.

You can, however, do what you wrote in your last post related to AND logic with your plugin. I've got a few of those already - where a device sends a fast-on, say, AND another device has to be ON, AND the time is between 12 and 3. That works fine

mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJames View Post
              Hi Bob,

I'm far from expert but I think the reason is that the first action is the trigger while the others are the conditions. So if you had device A being on and device B changing to on wouldn't trigger at all while device A changing to on while device b IS on would trigger.

You can, however, do what you wrote in your last post related to AND logic with your plugin. I've got a few of those already - where a device sends a fast-on, say, AND another device has to be ON, AND the time is between 12 and 3. That works fine

mark
              Yeah, after playing with it some more it does make sense. The first item in an AND clause is really the trigger and the rest need to be conditions, not triggers.

What I had tried was the opposite of what I wrote and that doesn't work. You can't do

if time something
              AND
              if device sends command

and I assumed (yeah, I know) that the opposite wouldn't work either.

So I think 3.0.0.38 will do what you need (except for the sorting). Let me know if you have any problems.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Thanks Bob,

I'll wait till you post an update with the sorting before I update if that's ok. If you want this one checked out earlier let me know and I'll stop what I'm doing and install it.

mark

Comment

Update posted. Please let me know how it works.

Thanks!
                  --
                  Bob Paauwe
                  ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Both issues resolved perfectly. I can use multiple OR conditions for ISY device events and the sort is now very useable.

Thank you, Bob.

mark

Comment

Working...
                    X