Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI... HS3 NOT Supported as a Secondary Controller (CORRECTION)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI... HS3 NOT Supported as a Secondary Controller (CORRECTION)

Public Service Announcement.

FYI... Homeseer DOES NOT SUPPORT HS3 as a Secondary Controller

Zwave certification REQUIRES being able to act as a secondary controller and is heavily tested during the cert process. Homeseer is certified (http://products.z-wavealliance.org/S...hText=homeseer), meaning they must ensure it works.

BUT as I found out via Homeseer support, they do not support HS3 as a Secondary zwave controller.

I feel HS should widely and conspicuously post the non-support policy given anyone knowing what the Cert means, would think they are going to have a working and supported Secondary controller capability.

Posting so hopefully other people who search may be able to find information they need... regards.

HomeSeer controllers such as the SmartStick and Z-Net are able to be used as secondary controllers. I have not read that a software platform can be certified as Z-Wave plus, nor does it make any sense that it should be. Since HomeSeer software is not a Z-Wave device it cannot and will not be Z-Wave plus certified. A HomeTroller is the same way, the Z-Wave controller is Z-Wave plus certified, the computer and software are not. I suppose the one area of contention might be the HomeTroller Zee where the Z-Vave controller is a dedicated GPIO board and as such may not be able to be used as a secondary controller unless different software was installed to turn it into a IP to serial device like a Z-net.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

HS3 is Z-Wave Plus Certified!
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174480

@rprade -- You don't remember being the First reply?

and MacroMarcs comment of... "The Z-Wave plug-in v3.x is certified. "
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...19&postcount=4

Comment

HS3 DOES WORK AS A SECONDARY CONTROLLER BUT THE CONFIGURATION IS NOT RECOMMENDED

I clarified this in the help desk, but I will note a response here for others so they can understand the situation as well as the issues.

The OP wants to use 2 controllers at the same time, for example, Vera and HomeSeer. This WILL work. Adding HomeSeer as a secondary is supported, as it has to support this due to certification.

However, the user experience will be a mess, at best. Lets assume your primary system is Vera and you added 50 nodes to it. When you add a node to a controller, an association is set up between the node and the controller. This association is added so the node can report information back to the controller, such as status reports, battery level, alarms, etc. When you add HomeSeer as a secondary, it now knows about all the nodes in your system and it can control them. However, no status information will be reported to the HomeSeer system.

To fix this, you will need to go into all your devices and add an association to the HomeSeer controller. Most devices support up to 5 devices for each association group. Some devices have multiple association groups, so you will need to add HomeSeer to each group. You may also need the developer docs for some of your nodes in order to know which association group to use and what the groups are used for. (HomeSeer already knows this info and sets up the groups properly when the device is added)

This is a lot of work and if you remove either controller, your network will be a real mess as the nodes will try to report to a non-existent controller and everything will run really slow. You will then need to go back into each device and remove the association that is no longer used.

For this reason, this is why our support group is reporting this as a non-supported configuration. Going forward, I will have them simply reference this post.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here made my Leviton VRCOP a secondary controller to the HomeSeer Z-Wave primary.

Both controllers see and control same switches.

Relating to status if I send out a command via the VRCOP the Homeseer Z-Wave controller doesn't see it and vice versa.

This was a concern as I do similiar with UPB and X10 today.

The Homeseer Z-Wave network does see the VRCOP controller.

After reading the above I was going to try to associate the nodes with the VRCOP in Homeseer but may do this only to tinker.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

OK so looking at my Homeseer network. The VRCOP is seen as node 33.

I can validate / check it and it is acknowledged.

Node #33

Full Name: Z-Wave Z-Wave VRCOP
            Polling: Polling Disabled
            Manufacturer:Leviton
            Type:0xB01
            ID:0x209
            Listens:Yes
            Version: (Not Available)
            Neighbor Count:12
            Speed:9.6Kbps
            Uses Interface: ZWaveMe
            Command Classes:
            Supported: Hail, Manufacturer Specific, Manufacturer Proprietary, Node Naming
            Controlled: Switch Multilevel, Switch Binary, Scene Activation, Node Naming

[ATTACH]61214[/ATTACH]

Testing with one node #4.

The link drop down box does not show node #33.

How do I associate node #4 to node #33 (VRCOP)

Rereading above would I go to connecting the VRCOP to a serial port on a PC and utilize the Leviton Z-Wave software to associate the test node to the Homeseer z-wave controller?

Way back the way I got the VRCOP to get the Homeseer Z-Wave network was just putting the VRCOP in receive mode and Homeseer in send network mode.
            Last edited by Pete; May 17, 2017, 03:09 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Linking will not work for this case.

Go into node 4 in HS, Z-Wave Tab, Settings, then Associations and add an association to node 33 (probably under group 1). Then node 4 will start reporting to node 33. Not sure the VRCOP supports status reports though, so this may not buy you much.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              OK so looking at my Homeseer network. The VRCOP is seen as node 33.

I can validate / check it and it is acknowledged.

Node #33

Full Name: Z-Wave Z-Wave VRCOP
              Polling: Polling Disabled
              Manufacturer:Leviton
              Type:0xB01
              ID:0x209
              Listens:Yes
              Version: (Not Available)
              Neighbor Count:12
              Speed:9.6Kbps
              Uses Interface: ZWaveMe
              Command Classes:
              Supported: Hail, Manufacturer Specific, Manufacturer Proprietary, Node Naming
              Controlled: Switch Multilevel, Switch Binary, Scene Activation, Node Naming

[ATTACH]61214[/ATTACH]

Testing with one node #4.

The link drop down box does not show node #33.

How do I associate node #4 to node #33 (VRCOP)

Rereading above would I go to connecting the VRCOP to a serial port on a PC and utilize the Leviton Z-Wave software to associate the test node to the Homeseer z-wave controller?

Way back the way I got the VRCOP to get the Homeseer Z-Wave network was just putting the VRCOP in receive mode and Homeseer in send network mode.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you Rich!
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                X