Hardware recommendation - Zwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware recommendation - Zwave

I have a house full of intermatic home settings modules and I love em. They are speedy and just plain work. Much better than x10.....

I also have a few HomePro modules - the lamp mod is nice because it has some added customization vs the home settings stuff.

Go for it. You won't be sorry.

Just remember = more devices are needed for a stronger network. I'd suggest at least four to start with. Ebay is the best place to search for some of the intermatic stuff.

Comment

I would definitely recommend the z-troller as the primary controller

Neil
      Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Oh yes, second the ztroller.

Comment

I have a large Zwave network. As previously stated the Ztroller is reliable, easy to use and what I recommend. 2 years ago I installed 15 Homepro dimmers, they worked flawlessly. 4 months ago I replaced the majority of my X10 (65 devices) since I had zero issues with the Homepro, I opted to stay with the same, now for a total of 80 Zwave, I have had a couple issues and 6 devices fail.

Zwave is good.

Be sure to try and centrally locate the ztroller (or whatever interface you decide)
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?
          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
            Be sure to try and centrally locate the ztroller (or whatever interface you decide)
            Shouldn't matter. As long as distances between modules are kept in check and you re-optimize the network any time you remove a module (or one fails.)

My Z-Troller is at one extreme corner of a good-sized house. Works great. Just keep in mind that Z-Wave uses hard network links (each module determines the optimal neighbor to route through at installation/optimization) rather than blanket repeaters (the Insteon mode, where every module repeats everything, but only for three hops.) So Z-Wave can go further and more reliably while the network is intact, but can more easily be broken should you, for example, remove a wall switch. (I'm not sure, but I think the plug-in modules usually don't serve as repeaters.)

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoCat View Post
              (I'm not sure, but I think the plug-in modules usually don't serve as repeaters.)
              Can anyone confirm this? This would be a deal Z-wave deal breaker for me. My Z-wave network would include almost all plug-in modules and other (non wall-switch) devices since I don't plan to replace any in-wall dimmers in my Lightolier Compose system.

UPB is the other option I'm considering to supplement Compose, but I'm on the fence, watching Michael's progress with this to see if he uncovers any interference issues between Compose and UPB before jumping in. After my experience with TED and Compose/X10, I'm hesitant to put another protocol on the power line.

Thanks,
              Don

Comment

Don, no worries--plug-in modules should typically work fine as repeaters. It's the battery-powered and portable devices that typically don't act as repeaters.

Chris

Comment

I'm fairly certain they do. At least the ones i have (Intermatic appliance and lamp modules)

I have added one to a dead spot and it solved my issues. I see the light on them flashing as signals are sent which i believe signifies that it is repeating the signal.

Neil
                  Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Thanks Chris, Neil. Good to know.

Don

Comment

Working...
                    X