Use Existing Zwave Dimmers for extra function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Existing Zwave Dimmers for extra function

I have been playing with a way to use existing Zwave Dimmers as to control more than just their light and wanted to share. This is based off someones posting of using scene controllers for this with counters.

Functionally this is how it works. I have one Zwave switch that I normally don't use so much (hall light). When I turn on and then off the light within 3 seconds I can trigger events/scripts/device actions etc.

For this you need atleast 3 events and one counter.

Switch Monitor Event
    IF Device just had its value set or changed "Hall Light"
    THEN Start Timer "Hall Switch"
    THEN Increment Counter "Hall Switch Counter"

Switch Counter / Timer Control
    IF Hall Switch's Value is more than 3s
    THEN Stop Hall Switch
    THEN Set Timer "Hall Switch" to 0 Seconds
    THEN Reset Counter "Hall Switch Counter" to 0

Switch Counter Event
    IF "Hall Switch Counter" value becomes this: 2
    THEN... You can really put anything here

In this case I run an event that turns off all of the lights in the house. In another case I run a script to toggle a separate light

Here is that script btw
    Code:
     Sub Main(parm as object)
     Dim dvref1 = 189 'Upstairs Plant Light 
     Dim Status1 = hs.DeviceValue(dvref1)'Upstairs Plant Light 
    Dim objCAPIControl
     hs.writelog("Info","Upstairs Plant Light is " & Status1)
     Select Case Status1
     Case 0
      objCAPIControl = hs.CAPIGetSingleControl(dvref1,true,"on",false,true)
      hs.CAPIControlHandler(objCAPIControl)
     Case 255
      objCAPIControl = hs.CAPIGetSingleControl(dvref1,true,"off",false,true)
      hs.CAPIControlHandler(objCAPIControl)
    End Select
    End Sub
    There are endless possibilities with this. I was hoping to get this working with pressing the on button twice however it appears that at least with my dimmers, that it doesn't send or register any change and thus increment the counter with the second On press.

If anyone can improve on this method please post

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by skarragallagher; November 28, 2014, 03:01 AM.

Thanks for sharing. This will come in handy in certain areas of the house.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Thanks for sharing. This will come in handy in certain areas of the house.
      Always happy to share.

In a perfect world you could actually have it function so that if you press on twice it does one thing or Off twice it does another but I haven't been able to get it to recognize this command.

I am not sure if this is a limitation of Zwave or maybe my dimmers. If anyone else has any luck please share how

Comment

I tried multi-tap ON with a counter on 2 different dimmer models and could not get this to work.
        cheeryfool

Comment

That is pretty similar to the method I use to disable motion control time out on lights. In a room with motion controlled lighting ON-OFF-ON within 2 seconds disables the automatic OFF function of motion control. The motion control is enabled again when the switch is turned off. OFF-ON-OFF disables the motion control ON function for the room. In other words toggling the light twice ending at ON, it will stay ON until it is turned OFF. Toggling it twice and ending at OFF it will remain OFF, ignoring motion triggers.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            That is pretty similar to the method I use to disable motion control time out on lights. In a room with motion controlled lighting ON-OFF-ON within 2 seconds disables the automatic OFF function of motion control. The motion control is enabled again when the switch is turned off. OFF-ON-OFF disables the motion control ON function for the room. In other words toggling the light twice ending at ON, it will stay ON until it is turned OFF. Toggling it twice and ending at OFF it will remain OFF, ignoring motion triggers.
            I really like that use case. I think I will implement that for my kitchen lights

Comment

I would love to see how you have your events configured if you don't mind posting a couple screenshots

Comment

skarragallagher Great idea!
                thanks for the detailed share.
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                  I tried multi-tap ON with a counter on 2 different dimmer models and could not get this to work.
                  This must be then inherent to Zwave, I am not sure what get's actually sent from a protocol level but it may also have something to do with Homeseer Ignoring the second press.

I may log a bug to see what Rich say's about this. If the dimmers send a signal then Homeseer should recognize this.

Comment

Yes, now you say it like that, it definitely makes sense. Definitely add an enhancement request to bugzilla and share it. I (and I expect a few others) will add to it.
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by skarragallagher View Post
                      I would love to see how you have your events configured if you don't mind posting a couple screenshots
                      The first two events are the ON and OFF by motion control. "Lighting Motion Controls Exercise Motion Control" is the virtual device that controls whether the lights are controlled by motion. The "Lighting Controls Motion Interior Motion Dusk-Dawn is a virtual device that is set to enable motion control at 30 minutes before sunset and disable it 30 minutes after sunrise. We found that to be the time when there was no longer enough diffused sunlight to navigate most rooms. The second event creates a fresh 15 minute delayed OFF action every time the PIR goes to "No Motion". It does not include the Dusk-Dawn virtual device, because we always want the lights to turn off, regardless of the time of day. The HSM100 Off Delay is set to 1 minute.

Then there are two events that start a timer and increment a counter each time the switch is toggled.

Then there are two vents that suspend and resume motion control based upon toggle counter and timers. The first one suspends motion control and removes any delayed device actions than might be in the event list if the timer reaches 2 seconds and the toggle count is greater than 1.

The second will resume motion control if the switch is turned off without the timer running.

Lastly is a "cleanup" event that stops and resets the timer and resets the counter.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Wow Randy! Brilliant
                        Thanks for the great share
                        Tom
                        baby steps...starting again with HS3
                        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I have converted my events to use a timer as well, I think this is the most reliable way.

I updated the first post text to reflect this change. I will post screenshots later

Comment

Originally posted by skarragallagher View Post
                            This must be then inherent to Zwave, I am not sure what get's actually sent from a protocol level but it may also have something to do with Homeseer Ignoring the second press.

I may log a bug to see what Rich say's about this. If the dimmers send a signal then Homeseer should recognize this.
                            Could it be a simple thing as detecting changed-to-ON vs. set-to-ON? If the state is already ON then changed-to-ON will not trigger second time around. But set-to-ON should I belive.

BTW what kind of dimmers do you have? Mine only have single paddle so I can do on-off-on but not on-on. I can also detect dim level change (dim level change to any trigger) but I don't' have great use for that as we use that often to change dim level manually (only use for it is to detect change and sync up HS/other accessory dimmers in 3/4 way setup).

Comment

yeah I have Older Intermatic InTouch CA600 Dimmers.

I have tried all the options available in the homeseer event builder but none has recognized an On-On and appropriately incremented a counter. Let me know if it works for you though

Comment

Working...
                              X