root default password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

root default password

What is the default root password on the Zee S2? I am able to log in under user-id homeseer but nothing I've tried works. From a forum search I've tried passwords hsthsths3, homeseer, root, admin

Thanks

You will want to contact support with an email at support@homeseer.com to assist you with this issue.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

@Bill,

What is the default root password on the Zee S2?

The root password for Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch is not set by default and only sudo is recommended.

Personally here set root passwords on all of my linux boxes and use match the sudo users on the OS that I want to use Homeseer.

hsthsths3 should work. Do you see an error when you type it?

The issue is related to this script:

Pine64:/HomeSeer# cat change*.sh
      #!/bin/bash
      # $1=user $2=current pass $3=new pass
      ./check_passwd $1 $2
      if [ $? == 0 ]; then
      # echo "everything ok to change password"
      usermod -p $(echo $3 | openssl passwd -1 -stdin) $1
      echo "Password changed successfully."
      else
      echo "Current password incorrect."
      fi

and this file:

check_passwd

There is an ARM version included in the Zee2 which should work fine. There is a 386 version that works with Intel CPUs. I am running Zee2 Homeseer 3 lite on 64bit Ubuntu ARM CPU and it doesn't work for me. It works fine with the Intel version on 64 bit ubuntu.

The above said here with the base OS running I created Linux users that had RW access to the Homeseer directory and created a password for root (which typically is not suggested).

IE: I created a homeseer user, pete user on Linux and matched passwords on the HS3 GUI.

[ATTACH]65144[/ATTACH]

You can run Homeseer fine skipping this part and changing the passwords in the configuration GUI. I think too you can change the ini file to skip this prompt after first run.

If the above stuff relating to Linux OS users or configuring root is not what you want to do then the suggestion is to do what Rupp mentions above.

You will want to contact support with an email at support@homeseer.com to assist you with this issue.
      Last edited by Pete; December 14, 2017, 10:58 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, I am following the instructions to install Webmin and when I type the following at the command line:

dpkg --install webmin_1.870_all.deb

I get "dpkg: error: requested operation requires superuser privilege". I assumed this was because I wasn't signed in as root user-id. I am signed in as user "homeseer" using the password that I created the first time I fired up the Zee S2.

I'm not really familiar with all the commands for Linux so am trying to follow a bunch of instructions from various websites. Hence why I think it may be easier if I can install the Webmin GUI interface.

If you can steer me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Comment

Don't forget you need to sudo in to do anything. Safety mechanism for the uninitiated.

sudo dpkg --install webmin_1.870_all.deb

Careful with these commands and do a backup before you try anything

Comment

@Bill,

What would help too would be to boot up a live version of Ubuntu. Today you can install the a live version of Ubuntu on a USB stick and boot from it. It will not do anything to the files or OS you are currently using to access your new linux computer.

The GUI file manager allows for remote access to different Linux devices and works well with a copy and paste and is much nicer than WinSCP.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, ok thanks for the suggestion. Let me try to get a bootable thumb drive and I can use this when I need to access the Zee S2.

I was finally able to get the TTS to work on the Zee S2, seems that the Songs plug-in chokes if there are odd characters like ? ' " etc. I cleaned up my text messages and now all is working. Now I need to just find the best Rpi voice to use. Do you have any suggestions on reasonably natural sounding voices? I wouldn't mind a retro-Hal voice if one is available.

Comment

Working...
              X