Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor RGB lighting

Originally posted by kideon View Post
    How’s everyone implementing this? I was thinking of integrating led strips and splashes and was looking for something that be set to static colors and may be responsive enough for some effects. Splashes on the House, pathway lights and strips around the door and garage door.

Looking for controller and light recommendations. I tried Dresden’s zigbee adapter and it is too flaky for a permenant installation at least using a hue bridge.

Was thinking something like this for the splashes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Something wifi or z wave based may be best for my application. I do have power pretty much everywhere on the property so that’s a plus.

Philips is allegedly putting out some outside products later this year but I don’t feel like waiting until the summer especially since it’ll all integrate one way or the other.
    My driveway path lights use RGBW strips lights wrapped around 3/4" PVC in each of 12 light fixtures with 4 of the Dresden RGBW Zigbee controllers and they are totally reliable. We also use one of the controllers on a strip of RGBWW on the bottom of our basement stair rail. It has also been completely reliable. They talk to two different Hue hubs.

We are going to put about 27 meters of APA102 LED strips on the fascia boards just under the rain gutters. The strips are going to be in aluminum channel with translucent covers. They will be driven by a Pi and Spud's Hyperion plug-in. Our porch light and garage sconces have Hue color bulbs.

We also may put Hyperion or Dresden controlled strips around the garage door and front porch posts.

We are still thinking about splashes for the house. The ones in the Amazon link look promising.

The Fibaro or Qubino Z-Wave RGBW controllers are a good alternative to the Dresden controllers.
    Last edited by randy; March 10, 2018, 07:33 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Did you ever have issues on the Dresden’s going unavailable or unresponsive? Was going to try repairing just haven’t gotten around to it, there a way to update firmware? I love the concept of them. The one I have in place is about 30 feet from the hub and a couple of feet from a screw in bulb. That strip in fixture sounds near mind putting up pictures?

Comment

I'm using RGBWW waterproof led strip lights http://amzn.to/2FFda2d for XMAS decoration along the front of the house. Note, the connectors are not waterproof so I encased the connectors in liquid electrical tape, http://amzn.to/2GeoWi6, even encased the Qubino RGBWW flush dimmer. It survived a few inches of snow and rain a couple of times. I like the Qubino with these lights because they have two sets of LEDs for both multi combinations and warm whites, IOW five wires with ground, not four.

Now I'm putting the same units underwater in salt water around the dock. For that, I'll keep the connections protected and run lead wire to keep the controller in a safe box.

Comment

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Controllers like the Arilux RGB controllers can be flashed with the Sonoff Tasmota firmware which can in turn control RGB lights of some amperage off of Wifi (you can control it from HS by a script).

Comment

Yeah I was looking at those people have them integrated with smart things. Got any more detail?

Comment

Working...
              X