Is hdd spinup every 10 min normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is hdd spinup every 10 min normal?

Noob here, trying to get HS3 running once and for all, had the program for over a year but haven't been using it for various reasons, mainly, life keeps getting in the way, and I just keep pushing it back.
    I have it installed on a W7 system which mainly acts as a server for my movies and music, old Intel board running a duo core 6600, main hdd running W7, HS3 and Drivepool running 3 2TB spinners at the time, the server isn't accessed during the daytime hardly at all so the hdd's spin down and are idle.
    Since I installed HS3 I noticed that every so often, not exactly sure but it's probably a set time, 5, 10 or 15 mins, they spin up, btw, I know this because its sitting under my desk to my left (never got that Data closet going...) Like I said before, haven't had HS3 running permanently, so when I do have it running trying to get it running and playing with it, I noticed that the drives do this.
    I'd rather not have this happen, like I said, the server is not accessed hardly at all during the day so if the drives are idle, less energy, etc., etc., etc.
    Is there a way to stop HS3 from dong this or am I gonna have to come up with new/other hardware to house HS3 all by itself, which of course I'd rather not.

Originally posted by Tango21 View Post
    Noob here, trying to get HS3 running once and for all, had the program for over a year but haven't been using it for various reasons, mainly, life keeps getting in the way, and I just keep pushing it back.
    I have it installed on a W7 system which mainly acts as a server for my movies and music, old Intel board running a duo core 6600, main hdd running W7, HS3 and Drivepool running 3 2TB spinners at the time, the server isn't accessed during the daytime hardly at all so the hdd's spin down and are idle.
    Since I installed HS3 I noticed that every so often, not exactly sure but it's probably a set time, 5, 10 or 15 mins, they spin up, btw, I know this because its sitting under my desk to my left (never got that Data closet going...) Like I said before, haven't had HS3 running permanently, so when I do have it running trying to get it running and playing with it, I noticed that the drives do this.
    I'd rather not have this happen, like I said, the server is not accessed hardly at all during the day so if the drives are idle, less energy, etc., etc., etc.
    Is there a way to stop HS3 from dong this or am I gonna have to come up with new/other hardware to house HS3 all by itself, which of course I'd rather not.
    It is potentially when HS looks at saving the database to make sure the events/devices are recorded to the database rather than stored in memory. I'm not sure what the best way to determine that would be but you might be able to try and run HS from it's own separate flash device (it is portable). I'm not sure why all three need to power up though but I don't know enough about the insides of windows.

Comment

Totally normal. There are all sorts of files and logs being written to.

For my HS computers I run solid state hard drives. At least add the SSD as a D Drive and reinstall HS on that drive partition.

~Bill

Comment

Working...
      X