Alexa can't find Schlage door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed the HomeSeer skill to control my HomeSeer devices and it found all the light switches right away. However, it didn't discover my Schlage Connect door lock. I've followed the instructions at http://www.homeseer.com/amazon-echo-integration.html to make sure that the "Voice command:" checkbox is checked (there are 8 devices for the door lock) but the HomeSeer skill still can't find the door lock (I'm using option #2).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    David

I can affirm your issue as well. I am using the imbedded alexa plugin option with the same results. Alexa does not discover the door lock.

Please advise

Comment

I could be wrong but isn't this by design? They didn't want to have locks add for security. Create a virtual device to control the lock maybe...

Comment

Personally I think voice control of door locks is a very bad idea. The native Alexa API doesn't support this for that exact reason. As Wayne suggests you can add this with virtual devices, but I still don't think it's a good idea.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Perfect. This helps. I agree but the wifey likes the convenience. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is another thread that was just started that I replied to related to securing things like this. You can use Jon's helper and utilize a pass phrase. I am still on the fence about what I have done with this for security reasons too, but it is cool.

Comment

Has someone created a virtual device for this purpose before? There are a lot of options.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                There is another thread that was just started that I replied to related to securing things like this. You can use Jon's helper and utilize a pass phrase. I am still on the fence about what I have done with this for security reasons too, but it is cool.
                Just realised I have somewhat contradicted myself. Voice Disarming / Unlocking without a passcode is definitely a bad idea, but your passcode suggestion with Jon's Alexa Helper in the other thread covers that from my perspective
                cheeryfool

Comment

Can someone point me to a thread, documentation etc around JON000's helper please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidPotter View Post
                    Has someone created a virtual device for this purpose before? There are a lot of options.
                    I got this to work with a virtual device. I wasn't able to use the words Lock and Unlock, but it's good enough for voice control.

Thanks everyone.
                    David

Comment

I just use IFTTT and it works great, so I say "Alexa trigger, unlock the front door" and it then triggers HomeSeer to "unlock a lock" so it works fine. I had it as a virtual device for awhile called "Front Door Lock" but it's weird to say "Alexa turn off the Front Door Lock." I did prefer that way though as then if "Vacation Mode" is enabled, the voice commands could be disabled where IFTTT is all or nothing but not a huge deal. Doubt anyone standing outside my place yelling would trigger it, and they'd still have the alarm to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                      X