Warning, timed out waiting for poll response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning, timed out waiting for poll response

Hi all, I've just connected a 2nd rain 8 unit and assigned it an address of "2"
    They both work just fine, but Im seeing this error every few seconds in the log, any help would be appreciated!

RainRelay8 - Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 2

Thanks

Anyone???

Comment

Hello,

I assume you have tried re-starting HomeSeer? It almost looks like the plugin is not seeing the setting for the second unit.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply, yes I have restarted homeseer and the pc to no avail.
        I have timed events on both controllers and they WORK fine, so I'm unsure why this message is being displayed?

I did notice they have been allocated the same device code, is this expected, eg.

Rain8unit 1 : Device code [1 ... [8
        Rain8unit 2 : Device code [9 ... [16

Cheers

Comment

I don't know what is going on, that plugin has been out for years and has not changed, so I have to assume the code is ok. Things to try to troubleshoot:

* Disconnect the second unit and just try using each unit by itself? Do you get an error on either unit? Maybe one of the units is bad

* I think WGL offers some test software, I might try that and see if works ok with both units.

Comment

I am getting same message. I have 3 controllers. Turning the power off then on for the Rain8relay fixes it for a while, but a few hours later, the message is back and I loose all control of the controllers.

Comment

Are you using a usb to serial converter?

Originally posted by Hebs View Post
              I am getting same message. I have 3 controllers. Turning the power off then on for the Rain8relay fixes it for a while, but a few hours later, the message is back and I loose all control of the controllers.

Comment

Yes I am.

Comment

Im using a direct connection to a physical serial port.
                  Whilst both of my units run events correctly, the only problem is with the status reporting.

I contacted Warren at WGL, and he said "We have seen this before when the status requests are too close together. You need at least one second spacing"

Im thinking that most users are only using a single unit, that's why there has been no issue/s? Can I make a suggestion that the plugin contain a config option to have a configurable delay between device polling in milliseconds?

I'm sure this would fix the issue.

Thank you

Comment

I have had the problem when triggering multiple events, not just polling. The events may have been too close together. I have set a delay of 100ms between them and so far so good.

Comment

I have tried a 1 second delay between each event but I till get the error message after a couple of hours of operation. This is very annoying because I have just 'upgraded' from a wireless system because it was unreliable.

I am using the Rain8relays to control my heating and electric - I need reliability. Could the USB to serial be the source of the problem?

Comment

On the config page there is a poll interval setting. If you set this to 0 it will not poll. I assume since these are relays that polling is really not necessary. See if disabling polling has any effect.

USB to serial adapters can cause problems, it would be ideal if you had a real serial port to try it on. Personally, I like the PCI or PCIE serial cards.

I have tried a 1 second delay between each event but I till get the error message after a couple of hours of operation. This is very annoying because I have just 'upgraded' from a wireless system because it was unreliable.

I am using the Rain8relays to control my heating and electric - I need reliability. Could the USB to serial be the source of the problem?

Comment

The polling interval is already at 0. PCI or PCIE may not be an option for me unfortunately, HS is installed on a micro, low power PC. I'll see if I can find something compatible.

The exact error message is:

Warning, Timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a device at address ..

Comment

I looked at the code, and what it does is send a command, then it waits for a reply. It should get back the bytes it sent. In your case its either not getting anything or the data is wrong. Is the relay actually being controlled?

The timeout on the read is set to 4 seconds, which should be plenty of time to wait for the response. What is the cpu speed of the controller you are using?

Since I have not seen a report like this, I can only suspect a com port issue. What brand of USB to serial adapter are you using? We sell a Trendnet one which so far has not had any issues. Maybe you can try a different brand?

The polling interval is already at 0. PCI or PCIE may not be an option for me unfortunately, HS is installed on a micro, low power PC. I'll see if I can find something compatible.

The exact error message is:

Warning, Timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a device at address ..

Comment

Hi Rich,

Can you modify the code to have the a configurable gap between data sends to the rain8 units? Eg, regardless of the event, data polling, device on, device off etc... This should eliminate the issue of data being sent too closely together as mentioned by Warren at WGL.

Is the source available, I'd be happy to help debug the issues.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X