Compatibility / reliability ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility / reliability ?

I'm considering ecobee3, but have noted some disturbing comments in Amazon product reviews.
    1. It cannot be used with Arris modems (including those labeled Motorola).
    2. Customer support is poor and unresponsive.
    3. WiFi connection is unreliable.
    4. Software seems buggy and not fully mature.
    5. Product quality is inconsistent, especially the remote sensors.

Can anyone confirm, rebut or comment on any of these statements?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

I have two ecobee, one "original" version and one ecobee3 with 3 remote sensors. I have used a few other "smart" thermostats and was completely unimpressed. I really like the ecobee3. I have only had one issue and that was a wifi disconnect, one time. Beyond that, I have not experienced any of the other issues mentioned.

My only real qualm with it, and pretty much every other "smart" (networked) thermostat is the lack of a direct api to the thermostat. Everything is hosted by ecobee "in the cloud" so Internet access is mandatory for any API calls, and those can only be made at a minimum of every 5 minutes I believe.

Comment

Thanks. Which modem are you using?
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by oztiks View Post

My only real qualm with it, and pretty much every other "smart" (networked) thermostat is the lack of a direct api to the thermostat. Everything is hosted by ecobee "in the cloud" so Internet access is mandatory for any API calls, and those can only be made at a minimum of every 5 minutes I believe.
        This is my issue with most of the smart thermostats. I love my nest (though I with it supported remote sensors), but I really miss my 3M Radio Thermostat one which allowed local API access!

Comment

It would definitely concern me that any device is compatible with a certain type of modem. This strikes me as bad engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Thanks. Which modem are you using?
            I'm using a motorola surfboard in bridge mode (no routing); a separate standalone router, and an Asus RT-AC68U and Asus RT-AC66R in Access Point Only mode.

Comment

Yesterday I received a reply from ecobee concerning the modem issue. It goes along way to dispel my concerns about the responsiveness of their customer support, and implies that the modem problems have been isolated and possibly irreproducible.

Hello, thank you for contacting ecobee Support.

We at times have issues with a Time Warner modem by Aires and there have been no other documented cases where other modems are causing issues

If you require to speak with a Customer Support Representative, please call us at 1.877.932.6233. Agents are available from 8am-10pm EST (Monday to Friday) and 9am-9pm EST (Saturday and Sunday). Quote ticket #163857 when calling.

Regards,

The Customer Support Team
              ecobee Support
              250 University Ave, Suite 400
              Toronto, ON M5H 3E5

Comment

Originally posted by oztiks View Post
                I would throw money at something if it had direct api access... I looked at Ecobee (friend has it and loves it), but I don't want to rely on the cloud for anything... I have the CT100, which has 'direct z-wave control', but according to others in this forum it's rather buggy w/ polling. I want to make a script or something that mimics the Ecobee 3's ability to graph humidity, temp, and fan state over time. That's my favorite feature of my buddy's Ecobee 3 and why I was looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                X