www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
have you called SH support to get them to help you with the reset?
Calling SH for support is, well, frustrating? The guy I spoke to put me on hold 3 times for a couple of minutes while he checked with his level 2. I may be unlucky, but this is standard for me when calling SH.

I'm sending in the unit for an exchange.
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Calling SH for support is, well, frustrating? The guy I spoke to put me on hold 3 times for a couple of minutes while he checked with his level 2. I may be unlucky, but this is standard for me when calling SH.

if the unit won't reset, then its time to send it back

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.23 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

It's been a while since I've had to call support but they were good when I did. The roll out of this motion was a catastrophe. They still don't fully support it in the hub (no temp and missing a lot of settings) They basically released the device with no real way to use it other than to directly link it to another insteon device. Who ever managed that project should be fired immediately. It sounds like their support staff still isn't up to speed on it either. The good news is that once you get a properly working device, you should be happy with it.
Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
It's been a while since I've had to call support but they were good when I did. The roll out of this motion was a catastrophe. They still don't fully support it in the hub (no temp and missing a lot of settings) They basically released the device with no real way to use it other than to directly link it to another insteon device. Who ever managed that project should be fired immediately. It sounds like their support staff still isn't up to speed on it either. The good news is that once you get a properly working device, you should be happy with it.
Its is a bit of a shame that Mark gives us more access to MSII features than SH apps themselves. Cheers to Mark!
Platform: Dell Inspiron 3847, Windows 10, i7-3.6GHz, 16GB memory
Old April 20th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
based on my test, when on battery and LED off, i do think the flashing is minimized significantly but not eliminated completely.

i'll check with SH on this "feature"
SH confirmed this behavior. I'm thinking of removing the led on/off feature and leaving the brightness setting. Set it to 0/1 to get the lowest level

thoughts?
Old April 20th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Seer Master

The weird thing is that on USB power, LED off does work. Someone thought it was opposite day when they were working on that bit of the firmware. I expect that will be fixed in a fw revision. The setting would be redundant even if it did work so I'm good with removing it.
Old April 20th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
The weird thing is that on USB power, LED off does work. Someone thought it was opposite day when they were working on that bit of the firmware. I expect that will be fixed in a fw revision. The setting would be redundant even if it did work so I'm good with removing it.
For me, setting LED = Off on USB power works fine. Setting the brightness to 0 on the other hand does not work: still blinks full blast. I retrieved the settings just to be sure all was in sync. My "probably defective" unit may not be a good case though.

So mark, I would suggest holding off until we get more testing out of this thing.
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:17 PM
Seer Master

Mark, do you happen to know what the jumper does on this thing?

Tony
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:36 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Mark, do you happen to know what the jumper does on this thing?

Tony
Not a clue. It's not documented. It might be for reprogramming the fw at Smarthome.
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Seer Plus

I received 3 new motion sensors today and are in the process of setting the first one up.

So far so good. I got it to link with HS and the temperature works well in Celsius (thanks Mark).

I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know how often the temperature is updated and transmitted?
2) For the re-transmits of the signals - I plugged the device into the power outlet - Do the re-transmits go via RF or via the power line? My guess is it is via RF as I don't see any real improvement with the PLC signals.

cheers
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mate View Post
I received 3 new motion sensors today and are in the process of setting the first one up.

So far so good. I got it to link with HS and the temperature works well in Celsius (thanks Mark).

I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know how often the temperature is updated and transmitted?
2) For the re-transmits of the signals - I plugged the device into the power outlet - Do the re-transmits go via RF or via the power line? My guess is it is via RF as I don't see any real improvement with the PLC signals.

cheers
Thanks for the feedback.

1. the temp is always updated during the heartbeat message; you can set this frequency. When powered by the USB, you can read the settings to get latest reading on demand.

2. this is an RF only device.
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Seer Master

Mark, how do you get the settings on demand when connected via USB?
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Mark, how do you get the settings on demand when connected via USB?
from the device edit page within the plugin, "Read Links and Settings"
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Seer Master

ah I was thinking there was a way to call the settings from an event.
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Insteon Overlord

i considered making the MS 'pollable' when connected to USB, but it requires a lot of back and forth in hs device settings. This may become a sync problem which will cause a lot of user issues.
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Insteon Overlord

turns out the led is not dimmable so I will be removing the led brightness setting. if the led on/off isn't working, then I may remove that as well.
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Seer Master

Mark I honestly think the guys who set up this firmware got a bit flipped and didn't catch it.

The LED Disable works on USB Powered Motion II's but switch it to battery and it does not. I can only guess that it was supposed to be the other way around.

If so there is nothing that you can do until a new firmware is released.
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:56 PM
Seer Master

Got MS II replacement unit

I received my MS II replacement unit today. A few observations.

I now realize that a beep on an MS II is more of a whisper, high pitch and low volume, contrary to other Insteon beeping devices; I had to get the unit close to my ear (maybe it's time for a hearing loss check up?)

I used the 'replace this device' approach to link the new unit and keep my previous settings and I reread the links and settings. I noticed 2 things:
  1. First, even though the plugin mentioned a bunch of links being created during the 'replace' procedure, I ended up with 0 links
  2. The Temperature calibration value was now at +92 on USB power (was 0 with previous unit), but the actual temperature reading was smack on: can't figure that one out EDIT after re-reading the links and settings, it now shows 0
I noticed in the insteon.ini, in the EEValues entry, a parameter "PIRDelay=3". Although the communication for this unit is all on first hop, no retries, so presumably solid, I notice a 2-3 second delay between the blip on the unit and the message being logged by HS3.

So Mark, can you shed some light on this parameter and how we could tweak it?

Last edited by claude; May 2nd, 2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
claude,

the mode will change the function of the MS but I haven't tested to see if it actually does what it suppose to, and some of the "exotic" modes require additional settings that aren't implemented

I will include a pop help message in the next version that will outline each mode.

try night only if you are interested, but no guarantees if it doesn't work
Hi Mark,

Any time table for implementing/documenting the different modes available with the MS II? And for the logging of heartbeat values?

P.S. It seems that "Occupancy II" only sends 'On' messages; is this your understanding as well?
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:01 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Any time table for implementing/documenting the different modes available with the MS II? And for the logging of heartbeat values?

P.S. It seems that "Occupancy II" only sends 'On' messages; is this your understanding as well?
i'll post an update tomorrow which will have the above features